Is there something fundamentally wrong with our Offense?

Pitt’s gameplay was definitely to take away the run and dare Rosier to throw deep. It worked. UVA basically did the same thing last week but we hit on a couple of those deep balls. The problem is that we should not be relying on deep passes to win games. It’s a dangerous philosophy because those are low percentage passes, even for a good QB. As others have noted, what happened to the creativity we saw in the ND and VT games? And why do we struggle to get he ball to Herndon (before the injury) and our fast receivers in space? Richards was being covered by a 5’8” DB with one arm yesterday and yet we couldn’t find a way to get him the ball.

Advertisement
Your last sentence was our entire problem yesterday.

Our QB could not hit one of the best WR's we've ever had even when he was matched up with a gimpy smurf of a CB. There were plays to be had there all over the field, not only long passes.

Definitely not enough movement before the snap....use Thomas and Harley as decoys to offset the D.....add a double reverse or half back pass to help open it up.....cannot keep trying the same stuff when it's not working.... Rosier was off why didn't we use wildcat? Richt has got to find a way to get the offense off to a fast start...when they come out flat with easy to read plays.... it's hard for anyone to get in a rythm after a few bad possessions...it also causes the opps D to pick up more confidence ...gotta come out with your best plays to attack the defense you're facing.... can't worry about showing your hand...all that does it cause your offense to be in a funk....hoping to make big plays down the stretch...this week Richt gotta exploit Clemsons weaknesses early on or it's gonna be another long day...IMO

receivers were open

playcalling and scheme got them open

If you asked Jalen Hurts to throw the ball every play with zero and I mean ZERO run game, Bama would look like we did yesterday.

Malik is what he is, but it is inexcusible to not be able to run the ball against a 4-7 team. The OL has been bad since 2003.

Pitt’s gameplay was definitely to take away the run and dare Rosier to throw deep. It worked. UVA basically did the same thing last week but we hit on a couple of those deep balls. The problem is that we should not be relying on deep passes to win games. It’s a dangerous philosophy because those are low percentage passes, even for a good QB. As others have noted, what happened to the creativity we saw in the ND and VT games? And why do we struggle to get he ball to Herndon (before the injury) and our fast receivers in space? Richards was being covered by a 5’8” DB with one arm yesterday and yet we couldn’t find a way to get him the ball.

This. We were successful with the short passes. CMR loves to throw deep even on 3rd and short. It’s mind boggling.

Advertisement
Yes.

1. The QB is about as accurate as someone playing a carnival basketball game.
2. The OL is full of weak, uncoordinated gentleman that can't run block.
3. The play calling is unimaginative.

yes there is

ITS CALLED run a PRO-STYLE OFFENSE

the RPO only works if your QB is on fire... game in and game out. period. no room for error

And here we have it, thank you salty, we need to get back to a pro style system with a pro style QB, that's Miami football, ***** this shotgun bullshyt. One thing I thought about richt was he would bring this back, and it starts with a QB who can get under center and read a damm defense

Yeah we should only run a boring pro style offense from under center.

If it worked 20+ years ago, we should stick to that forever. Fvck the evolution of the game or our recruiting base, who needs another added dimension to the offense through a mobile QB. We've seen how little Rosier's ability to run has helped us, right?

Go eat a leather helmet.

Yeah we should only run a boring pro style offense from under center.

If it worked 20+ years ago, we should stick to that forever. Fvck the evolution of the game or our recruiting base, who needs another added dimension to the offense through a mobile QB. We've seen how little Rosier's ability to run has helped us, right?

Go eat a leather helmet.

Bro do you ever watch pro football, I guess not

Advertisement
People dont want to admit it but our running game has struggled big time since Walton went down and well Rosier is just an inconsistent QB.

Definitely not enough movement before the snap....use Thomas and Harley as decoys to offset the D.....add a double reverse or half back pass to help open it up.....cannot keep trying the same stuff when it's not working.... Rosier was off why didn't we use wildcat? Richt has got to find a way to get the offense off to a fast start...when they come out flat with easy to read plays.... it's hard for anyone to get in a rythm after a few bad possessions...it also causes the opps D to pick up more confidence ...gotta come out with your best plays to attack the defense you're facing.... can't worry about showing your hand...all that does it cause your offense to be in a funk....hoping to make big plays down the stretch...this week Richt gotta exploit Clemsons weaknesses early on or it's gonna be another long day...IMO

receivers were open

playcalling and scheme got them open

They're not open every game outta the gates....the problem is Richt doesn't come out with plays to exploit weaknesses....instead he calls easy to read plays...usually the O never gets anything easy or operates with precision until the D gives it a short field with momentum....other than that it's stagnant...gotta play to win or it's a blowout waiting to happen.

There are a ton of things wrong with the offense. All season when it clicked it looked mostly accidental, not guaranteed or even likely to happen again on the next possession. I've never seen an unbeaten team this deep in the season with such a random offense.

That was a blue collar team that mostly shoved us around in the trenches. Contrast to 2002, our last truly elite team. We went to Florida as 2 point underdog and dictated the line of scrimmage throughout, racking up 306 yards rushing on 46 carries. Later in that season we traveled to Tennessee and methodically dismantled another SEC team as 9 point favorite, rushing 38 times for 177 yards along with 245 yards passing. The crowd was forced into silence throughout.

All season I've remembered those games, and the vast gap between then and now, when we've tried to get away with comically low rushing attempt numbers, especially in the first half. I mostly kept quiet and hoped we'd continue to semi-fluke one game after another. I still maintain that hope. But yesterday was hardly a shock. You aren't legitimate if you aren't hitting anybody on offense. The RPO is mostly tickle. We hit a couple of cute weaving inside counter runs with Homer against Notre Dame. Wonderful. We fooled them. Everybody alongside me in the stands went nuts. I did not go nuts. That is not foundational. It is finesse. You can't get away with finesse against true blueblood opponents. Notre Dame was not ranked in preseason. They were even more of an upstart than we are. The forward path included road blocks like Clemson and possibly Alabama. Newsflash: They were ranked in preseason. Top of the world. Consequently they will have superior manpower to our own, no matter how much we'd like to deny. Florida State was the other top ranked preseason team we met. Obviously they lost the quarterback and were in disarray yet still controlled the line of scrimmage and run of play.

IMO, the RPO should be partial, not an absolute. It makes me sick when the offensive line is caving in from all directions yet we still haven't executed the meaningless fake handoff. I was so envious of Pittsburgh toward the end of that game, lining up under center and ruthlessly barreling forward. We can't end games like that. We require a defense to be worn out and the finesse weave plays to find a crease, mostly by accident.

This quarterback is admirable but not Canes caliber. That's a huge portion of everything. I don't want to set that aside. The lob pass into double coverage on 4th down against Georgia Tech was absolutely ridiculous. Their safety made the lazy play of the season, otherwise the ball is effortlessly batted away and we're fighting reality from that point instead of now.

Two things to close:

* We nearly sacrificed a pick six on a 3rd down screen pass yesterday. Those are not good calls. We got away with one recently but the further you advance the more they'll be bludgeoned with a laugh

* Our tendency is to use the swing pass once and it if works we go back to it again and again, without rest. Georgia Tech was unaware. Now opponents are very much aware. Virginia snuffed it out and very nearly had a pick six there.

We need to take advantage of our tendency and fake the subsequent swing pass, with the blocking receiver instead taking off down the sideline. I've seen Alabama do that for key touchdowns several times.

Advertisement
I’m not a X’s and O’s guy so I am hoping someone with some knowledge can explain to me why we struggle on Offense so much. I understand CMR needs time to bring his guys and fix some of the issues at hand; however, today’s loss wasn’t simply on lack of talent. Rosier had a terrible game but is it really simply all on him? Not buying it! We struggle on Offense even when we win. Is it the RPO? Is it a lack of creativity on Offense? Are we too predictable or one dimensional? Do we need a real OC? Despite our success this season, we all knew our struggles on Offense would come back to haunt us. Can this be fixed this off season?

Miami's offense is PREDICATED on their offense line. And because Miami FAILED to run effectively, the passing game became more troublesome. Then throw in the fact, that Rosier didn't have his fastball- no pun intended- the offense was battling an up hill climb all game.

You, also, have to give credit to the Panthers defensive coordinator. He OUT FOXED Richt all day and what not. Nevertheless, Rosier simply couldn't hit the broad side of a good ol' boy barn yesterday and what not. hUh.

Advertisement
Would love to see us run Auburn’s spread smash mouth offense..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Auburn has a STRONGER and better offensive line than Miami. Oh, and one more thing. Auburn employs a similar ' RPO ' offense as Miami. dUh.

There are a ton of things wrong with the offense. All season when it clicked it looked mostly accidental, not guaranteed or even likely to happen again on the next possession. I've never seen an unbeaten team this deep in the season with such a random offense.

That was a blue collar team that mostly shoved us around in the trenches. Contrast to 2002, our last truly elite team. We went to Florida as 2 point underdog and dictated the line of scrimmage throughout, racking up 306 yards rushing on 46 carries. Later in that season we traveled to Tennessee and methodically dismantled another SEC team as 9 point favorite, rushing 38 times for 177 yards along with 245 yards passing. The crowd was forced into silence throughout.

All season I've remembered those games, and the vast gap between then and now, when we've tried to get away with comically low rushing attempt numbers, especially in the first half. I mostly kept quiet and hoped we'd continue to semi-fluke one game after another. I still maintain that hope. But yesterday was hardly a shock. You aren't legitimate if you aren't hitting anybody on offense. The RPO is mostly tickle. We hit a couple of cute weaving inside counter runs with Homer against Notre Dame. Wonderful. We fooled them. Everybody alongside me in the stands went nuts. I did not go nuts. That is not foundational. It is finesse. You can't get away with finesse against true blueblood opponents. Notre Dame was not ranked in preseason. They were even more of an upstart than we are. The forward path included road blocks like Clemson and possibly Alabama. Newsflash: They were ranked in preseason. Top of the world. Consequently they will have superior manpower to our own, no matter how much we'd like to deny. Florida State was the other top ranked preseason team we met. Obviously they lost the quarterback and were in disarray yet still controlled the line of scrimmage and run of play.

IMO, the RPO should be partial, not an absolute. It makes me sick when the offensive line is caving in from all directions yet we still haven't executed the meaningless fake handoff. I was so envious of Pittsburgh toward the end of that game, lining up under center and ruthlessly barreling forward. We can't end games like that. We require a defense to be worn out and the finesse weave plays to find a crease, mostly by accident.

This quarterback is admirable but not Canes caliber. That's a huge portion of everything. I don't want to set that aside. The lob pass into double coverage on 4th down against Georgia Tech was absolutely ridiculous. Their safety made the lazy play of the season, otherwise the ball is effortlessly batted away and we're fighting reality from that point instead of now.

Two things to close:

* We nearly sacrificed a pick six on a 3rd down screen pass yesterday. Those are not good calls. We got away with one recently but the further you advance the more they'll be bludgeoned with a laugh

* Our tendency is to use the swing pass once and it if works we go back to it again and again, without rest. Georgia Tech was unaware. Now opponents are very much aware. Virginia snuffed it out and very nearly had a pick six there.

We need to take advantage of our tendency and fake the subsequent swing pass, with the blocking receiver instead taking off down the sideline. I've seen Alabama do that for key touchdowns several times.

Pittsburg's defensive coordinator, also, took away Rosier's QB draw play.

And it's a post-modern day miracle that Miami is even 10-1 today, and is going to play in the ACC championship game next Saturday. Especially with an average, inconsistent QB, along with an average, inconsistent offensive line. hUh.

If you asked Jalen Hurts to throw the ball every play with zero and I mean ZERO run game, Bama would look like we did yesterday.

Malik is what he is, but it is inexcusible to not be able to run the ball against a 4-7 team. The OL has been bad since 2003.

I beg to disagree. Miami's last above-average OL was the 2005 season- finished 9-3 and dismantled a Top 5 Va. Tech at home.

Advertisement
Back