Is there something fundamentally wrong with our Offense?

Hurracanes

Your favorite poster’s favorite poster.
Premium
I’m not a X’s and O’s guy so I am hoping someone with some knowledge can explain to me why we struggle on Offense so much. I understand CMR needs time to bring his guys and fix some of the issues at hand; however, today’s loss wasn’t simply on lack of talent. Rosier had a terrible game but is it really simply all on him? Not buying it! We struggle on Offense even when we win. Is it the RPO? Is it a lack of creativity on Offense? Are we too predictable or one dimensional? Do we need a real OC? Despite our success this season, we all knew our struggles on Offense would come back to haunt us. Can this be fixed this off season?

Advertisement
I’m not a X’s and O’s guy either and it was pretty clear that Rosier missed many, many open passes. He only completed 44%. If we had Virginia's QB we would have had 2 long TDs to Richards. Rosier just missed all of the big plays except that one 3rd and 15 to Herndon.

Advertisement
I’m not a X’s and O’s guy either and it was pretty clear that Rosier missed many, many open passes. He only completed 44%. If we had Virginia's QB we would have had 2 long TDs to Richards. Rosier just missed all of the big plays except that one 3rd and 15 to Herndon.

In every other game this year he's made some of those. Today he didn't. It's disappointing but not surprising.

Advertisement
I've said it and I'll continue to say it! Richt needs to hire a pro spread set OC that can use more sets, more pass routes and increase the pace. Play calling and offense designs have passed him by. IMO he is reserving that for his son and grooming him to be the OC down the road.

2 main things imo:

1. Inaccurate QB
2. Inconsistent OL.

Coming into this game, Rosier was only completing 56% of his passes on the season, that's basically Average to below average.

We've been winning games based on Defense & getting big chunk plays in crunch time. Rosier has been Hot/Cold all year, that's who he is as a QB, we haven't needed him to be a Heisman winner for us, just protect the ball, make plays with his legs & hit on some of the Deep balls.

He's done that sometimes this season & other times he couldn't hit a parked car from the driveway with a tennis ball.

He's been a solid QB for us, today we needed him just give us 3 scores & he couldn't get it done. It happens, but I still believe in him & hope he heats up vs Clemson.

As for the OL, our run game has struggled for the last 2 years. Everybody said it was Walton, but even Homer has mostly been contained for the majority of the games we've played until he would usually breakout late in the 3rd & 4th quarters.

Our Offense is predicated on 2 things, Running the ball & getting TD's off the Deep passing game. When the run game isn't going our best hope is that Rosier heats up & drops dimes, when he doesn't we have to hope the Defense can just hold off opposing Offenses long enough for our own to get going.

I do think there are things we could be doing to be more creative with play calling & getting the ball to our playmakers, but ultimately I believe our Offensive struggles are mainly on a limited QB & an inconsistent OL.

The difference in Malik today and the rest of the season was he was not able to hit a single deep ball. This is pretty close to the same Malik that we've seen in every game in all other aspects. He missed Ahmmon deep twice, basically wide open, catch and run to the end zone or even just a big catch and have a shot at a FG or a few shots to the end zone. Missed Berrios once that would have been a TD, threw one behind Berrios that was at least a 20 yard gain, if he makes 1 man miss or turns it up the sideline is a TD or a huge gain.

Every other game we've hit Berrios for a big one, Jeff Thomas for a home run, Homer housed one, big play to Herndon. There was just no turning point for this offense today. Nothing built any confidence on the sideline. I thought maybe the TD to Ahmmon but it just wasn't a big enough play. The Berrios TD was garbage time... idgaf about that play. Too late.

The only answer we had was to switch to Evan instead of Malik? That was a pathetic attempt at starting something. This teams rides and dies on Malik making plays when we need it. We did nothing different. No designed QB runs that ate away at ND. No wild cat with Deejay that helped vs VT. No Malik rolling out of the pocket. No RB running routes up field. We tried to go 5 wide to identify the blitz and make things simple and we couldn't protect worth a **** or we just couldn't hit a guy in a tight window. End of story. You've gotta be able to do SOMETHING. We couldn't do any of it today.

And to cap it off... Feagles is terrible, Braxton called for 2 awful fair catches with 5-10 yards to run and have a chance to make a guy miss, our KR coverage is very bad, punt coverage is no better, and Jeff Thomas has no business returning kicks. He runs to the exact same spot every time. Right outside the right hash like clockwork. Made one decent return when he cut a little towards the middle of the field. Watch the kickoff coverage for the other team from a field view and they're angling themselves there every time. They know. QB, OL, & ST cost us this game in a combination of terrible effort by all of them.

Not sure how big that true freshman QB actually is but there's no way he should be driving us back and physically dominating the LBs, safeties, and even DL trying to tackle him. Something was off there. We usually drive everyone back when we make a tackle.

On a side note.. we didn't let Maria Taylor wear the turnover chain because we didn't want anyone outside the program to wear it or it was bad luck.. that's exactly what Pinckney said... why the **** did we let that bytch wear it today? I'm not superstitious but for the people that are....

Advertisement

In every other game this year he's made some of those. Today he didn't. It's disappointing but not surprising.

Yeah honestly I think it got to his head. After the game last week he said he knew he needed to work on accuracy. He was thinking too much.

Yeah honestly I think it got to his head. After the game last week he said he knew he needed to work on accuracy. He was thinking too much.

what we saw from Rosier is who he is
- we have won a ton of games bc he doesn’t turn the ball over
- and sometimes that isn’t enough - especially on the road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 main things imo:

1. Inaccurate QB
2. Inconsistent OL.

Coming into this game, Rosier was only completing 56% of his passes on the season, that's basically Average to below average.

We've been winning games based on Defense & getting big chunk plays in crunch time. Rosier has been Hot/Cold all year, that's who he is as a QB, we haven't needed him to be a Heisman winner for us, just protect the ball, make plays with his legs & hit on some of the Deep balls.

He's done that sometimes this season & other times he couldn't hit a parked car from the driveway with a tennis ball.

He's been a solid QB for us, today we needed him just give us 3 scores & he couldn't get it done. It happens, but I still believe in him & hope he heats up vs Clemson.

As for the OL, our run game has struggled for the last 2 years. Everybody said it was Walton, but even Homer has mostly been contained for the majority of the games we've played until he would usually breakout late in the 3rd & 4th quarters.

Our Offense is predicated on 2 things, Running the ball & getting TD's off the Deep passing game. When the run game isn't going our best hope is that Rosier heats up & drops dimes, when he doesn't we have to hope the Defense can just hold off opposing Offenses long enough for our own to get going.

I do think there are things we could be doing to be more creative with play calling & getting the ball to our playmakers, but ultimately I believe our Offensive struggles are mainly on a limited QB & an inconsistent OL.

Solid post El. Malik is a mediocre QB and with luck we won games despite that and despite a consistent running game. Today it wasn't there for Malik to come in clutch with a big play and no running attack to turn too sealed the deal.

Advertisement

what we saw from Rosier is who he is
- we have won a ton of games bc he doesn’t turn the ball over
- and sometimes that isn’t enough - especially on the road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True. He's been below 45% passing on the road every game except for Duke. That is truly horrendous.

We need to run more uptempo & move the pocket as well.

Rosier needs to make some throws from a moving pocket & needs to have the field shortened up, he struggles going through his reads & doesn't know how to check the ball down.

Need to run more quick slants & sluggos that allow him to get rid of the ball quickly, when he's forced to sit back there he tends to overthrow the ball because he's forcing the play, Richt needs to simplify things for him.

Also wish we would implement some Spread concepts in this Offense, everything is straight ahead & our run game is extremely predictable & easy to gage. We literally only run a variation of the same 3 run plays, that routinely get stuffed.

My lord some of you idiots that can't get it out of your head that our play calling is the blame. Rosier is awful and he proves it today. As inaccurate as it gets. Our success this yr has been due in spite of his talent and because of his athleticism. As well as his coach being able to play call around his qb deficit. I give rosier his due but today is 80% on him 20% on OL

A lot of it has to do with Rosier but I hate that this offense has zero motion.

Also there is no rythmn to the offense.its all over the place.Only thing you can count on is a second down run up the *** of an olineman.Plus Rosier is terribly inaccurate which is the cause of a lot of missed opportunities on 3rd down.

Still think we need a dedicated OC.If nothing else somebody to give offensive input to Richt when things aren’t working.Thing is I don’t think Richts ego with allow us to get one.

There’s a lot of things that need to change but the biggest thing is the QB.Rosier had done a decent job in pulling out games this year but if he had been more consistent we wouldn’t have been down to the wire in the first place.

I thought there was no way Perry would start over Rosier next year.Then I saw a Richt bench him today.Now I think there’s no way he does start over Perry,Weldon or even Williams next year.I think Rosiers career might be done after the bowl game..jmo

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back