Is the Canes Defense Championship Caliber?

Advertisement
The front 7 is. And having a ball hawk like Dee Delaney behind them might make the defense championship caliber. Only real problem I see is secondary depth, but we have the talent there. I love the Redwine to safety move, and expect a breakout year from Jaquan. As long as we stay relatively healthy in the secondary, we're in for a treat.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I look at our schedule and think our D is good enough to stop every team we play enough for us to outscore them, if we get competent QB play. Our D will be very good. So yes, I think our D is good enough. I question our O, until it proves it can get the job done.

I wouldn't call it elite at this moment. But we do have the potential to be elite this season.

One - when was the last time we could even ask this questions in the off season - trending in the right direction. Two - this D was young and injured and pretty darn good - we know we will be more experienced and if we avoid injuries - the D is good enough to get us to the title game of the 2nd best conference in football

The challenge is the O - - taking a step back at
- QB (experience)
- RB (depth)
- WR Talent
- TE Talent
- and our biggest hope on the OL is a monster True Frosh

Advertisement
Not Yet. Clemson starting front 4 had 27 sacks and 17 came from their 2 DTs. Bama front 4 had 31.5 sacks and 12.5 came from their Dts.

For comparison miami starting d-line had 11.5 sacks and only 4.5 came from the DTs.

The d-line has to make that leap this year and hopefully the cb spots will be solid.

As if sacks is the only barometer. Do the same for tackles for loss and Miami is right near at the top
On top of that Miami played many elite qbs throughout the season including multiple prolific offenses
Wvu
Pitt(had a great offense)
Fsu
Unc
Ga tech(good offense for what they do)
Va tech
Notre dame(top 3 qb in the draft, plenty of offensive weapons)

Last edited:
Advertisement
The Canes defense was good enough to win 11 games last year and play in the ACCCG if the offense pulled its weight. This year will be the same deal.

Not Yet. Clemson starting front 4 had 27 sacks and 17 came from their 2 DTs. Bama front 4 had 31.5 sacks and 12.5 came from their Dts.

For comparison miami starting d-line had 11.5 sacks and only 4.5 came from the DTs.

The d-line has to make that leap this year and hopefully the cb spots will be solid.

As if sacks is the only barometer. Do the same for tackles for loss and Miami is right near at the top
On top of that Miami played many elite qbs throughout the season including multiple prolific offenses
Wvu
Fsu
Unc
Wvu
Va tech

you're right I rather look at stats like ypp, tackle for loss, ppg, 3rd down conversions, turnovers, and sacks. and we were pretty high in most of those categories last season

Wvu
Fsu
Unc
Va tech

None of those teams have elite qbs. And you are ok with not getting pressure with the front 4? Those 2 teams i mentioned played in the championship 2 years in a row and their defense was anchored by their d-line.

The question was is the defense championship caliber. Not if they are good enough to win the coastal. They need to improve as pass rushers and i dont care what tackle for loss stats you post or what team and players you list.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Wvu
Fsu
Unc
Va tech

None of those teams have elite qbs. And you are ok with not getting pressure with the front 4? Those 2 teams i mentioned played in the championship 2 years in a row and their defense was anchored by their d-line.

The question was is the defense championship caliber. Not if they are good enough to win the coastal. They need to improve as pass rushers and i dont care what tackle for loss stats you post or what team and players you list.

Are you an idiot? TFL are MORE IMPORTANT than sacks because they count sacks AND tackling RBs behind the LOS. jesus christ.

lol. What does it matter where the sacks come from?

Clearly you dont know football. When you cant get pressure with your front 4 you put your defense at even more risk. You start blitzing and if you dont get home thats a big hole for the offense to exploit.
I agree with you of course but we did get constant pressure from our DEs. The front four got it done even if it wasn't necessarily the DTs getting to the QB.

I would like to see dean at safety with jaquan, delaney and maleek at corner with trajan at nickel

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

Advertisement
I think were underestimating how good dean and delaney are and how good this secondary could be i saw delaney played florida state before and made tackles on dalvin cook jhavonte is really good athlete with speed looked like hester returning a kick for south dade on youtube

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

If defensive tackles make that jump we see many make in their third year

If Thomas in another year with Kul, and Jackson start to completely dominate

if the defensive backfield can handle their business (More worried about safety than corner) and our second string linebackers don't drop off so much from the three frosh... then it's a championship caliber defense.

That's a lot of if's. What Jackson did as a freshman was incredible, if he starts to take games over then it can be top 3 in the nation imo

I say yes or well see another Miami defense get held back like in 03 with an offense that has no identity and cant stop tripping on its own two left feet

Advertisement
Back