Is our Safety group Elite....

I know we got some JAGs but Hall, Bolden, Smith, and Tae are some dudes. Hall and Tae in particular may have 1st round talent.

If these guys get it together we might be an elite defense again. We've had the most success on defense under Diaz when our safeties play well.
Good points. I would add Bolden in there as elite. To me, he was showing the most raw ability until the celebratory injury.

Advertisement
Bolden is a better safety then Hall. Bolden is likely pencilled in as a Starter for 2020. The real goal is to Pair James Williams and Avantae Williams together.

I know we got some JAGs but Hall, Bolden, Smith, and Tae are some dudes. Hall and Tae in particular may have 1st round talent.

If these guys get it together we might be an elite defense again. We've had the most success on defense under Diaz when our safeties play well.
There is certainly potential. First round talent is a reach, imo. It’s possible, but a lot more kids have wht you call ‘first round talent’ than end up being forst rounders.

Advertisement
No. Elite is a word tossed around far too often especially on this board. MAYBE we could get solid to good safety play at some point

This tweet is from a scout watching Trevon Hill, but it made me think of this thread. And it’s only 1 play, but this is the difference between elite and not.

Manny’s defense expects a TON out of the safeties. Most of the action is funneled to the safeties, and there’s a reason his safeties almost always lead his defenses in tackles. What we saw in 2017 and 2018 was elite. Jaquan Johnson NEVER missed this tackle like Hall does here (Pretty sure it’s Hall, not the easiest clip to see the number).

If this safety group wants to be elite, this tackle has to be made every single time. An 8 yard gain turns into a 50 yard gain real quick in this defense if the safeties can’t get downhill and tackle.

This tweet is from a scout watching Trevon Hill, but it made me think of this thread. And it’s only 1 play, but this is the difference between elite and not.

Manny’s defense expects a TON out of the safeties. Most of the action is funneled to the safeties, and there’s a reason his safeties almost always lead his defenses in tackles. What we saw in 2017 and 2018 was elite. Jaquan Johnson NEVER missed this tackle like Hall does here (Pretty sure it’s Hall, not the easiest clip to see the number).

If this safety group wants to be elite, this tackle has to be made every single time. An 8 yard gain turns into a 50 yard gain real quick in this defense if the safeties can’t get downhill and tackle.

The whole DBs squad was **** poor in tackling last season.

Advertisement
On paper, yes. But on paper, we've been elite for a while now.

I like what Ed said....yes he mentioned the kids and the accountability they need to have among themselves and I totally agree w/ him; however, he also mentioned that from the top, their needs to be accountability. So I'm not sure if we're elite strictly on paper b/c of the kids were overrated, the coaching, the scheme, or a combination of it all.

But if the last 16 yrs have shown us, we've had very few that were elite on the field, as opposed to being elite per 247, Yahoo, and ESPN recruiting services.

Advertisement
Back