Is our Safety group Elite....

1580999158264.png

Advertisement
Safety group, with incoming freshman has an average recruiting grade of .9179 which is a four star player and in the 90th percentile. I don't know if thats the best in the nation, but its up there and certainly qualifies as elite.

I think our best grouping right now is Bolden and Hall as the starters. Finding a striker (basically a safety) is going to be important, but I think we can find someone. Williams and Harrell are so intriguing and I'd love to see at least one of those two to get significant burn from the two deep.

Are our safeties elite? Not yet but the potential and talent are there to be elite. What I like about our safeties is that four of them have excellent range (Bolden, Smith, Hall, Williams) that allow us to mix up things up and disguise coverages. I expect Diaz to employ some 4-1-6 looks on third and long in 2020. Get more speed and versatility on the field without going to a three-man front.

Advertisement
We all saw how good we looked in the secondary once Bolden got comfortable. Carter is a quality backup and Hall is flashes but is inconsistent. Smith really didn't do much but was a frosh. Look at it this way. We replaced Knowles with several young talented freshman. The unit has been upgraded. However, it's a ways away from being able to say it's elite.

Are our safeties elite? Not yet but the potential and talent are there to be elite. What I like about our safeties is that four of them have excellent range (Bolden, Smith, Hall, Williams) that allow us to mix up things up and disguise coverages. I expect Diaz to employ some 4-1-6 looks on third and long in 2020. Get more speed and versatility on the field without going to a three-man front.
I hated the 3 man fronts when we have so many dogs on dline. 4-1-6, with Huff or Mccloud at LB is dangerous.

Bolden needs to get healthy, and be able to play a full damned season. That dude can close on WR with some ridiculous speed. He should be a straight beast in man coverage, but that dude is a nasty threat in zone.

Advertisement
I hated the 3 man fronts when we have so many dogs on dline. 4-1-6, with Huff or Mccloud at LB is dangerous.

Agreed.

In the 4-1-6 defensive alignment:

DL: Rousseau, Harvey, Phillips and Roche ( or Blisset or Cam Williams)
LB: Huff (or Brooks)
Striker: Frierson ( or Hall)
CB: Blades, Ivey (or Christian Williams or Dunston)
Slot Corner: TeCory Couch
Safeties: Bolden, Hall ( or Avantae or Smith)

The goal is to get as much speed and athleticism on the field as possible. The length and speed in this proposed alignment would force opposing offenses to throw into extremely tight windows.

I think Gurvan Hall is the best of the safeties. He hasn't touched his potential, but I think this is his year to do so.

Advertisement
Can we please let these kids develop before we start anointing them the next great. ER wasn’t the guy he became his fr or Sophomore year neither was ST. Ed redshirted and Sean played specials. It takes time. Hall was much better with Bubba next to him and vice versa. We need kids who recognize they need to be coached up and aren’t great anymore. High school is over, college ball is a different monster. They all have potential, but it needs to be developed and that’s on the coaches and the players. Ed Reed is preaching that because he was that and embraced it and so did his Cane brothers back then. My $0.02.

Go Canes!

Advertisement
I think our safeties have the talent and potential to be elite, but I won't consider them elite until we see the production to match that talent and potential.

Bolden may have the highest ceiling among the safeties because of his length and ball skills. You can't coach someone to be 6'3, but he needs to commit to the weight room and put on 10-15 pounds of muscle.

Safety group, with incoming freshman has an average recruiting grade of .9179 which is a four star player and in the 90th percentile. I don't know if thats the best in the nation, but its up there and certainly qualifies as elite.

I think our best grouping right now is Bolden and Hall as the starters. Finding a striker (basically a safety) is going to be important, but I think we can find someone. Williams and Harrell are so intriguing and I'd love to see at least one of those two to get significant burn from the two deep.
It will be very disappointing if Frierson doesn’t take a big step forward this year

I said it several times during the season and I’ll say it again: Bolden is the straw that stirs the drink.

Although I prefer Hall, the other guys were pretty much interchangeable when playing besides bolden. Hall, Knowles, Carter and Smith are all better playing downhill. Bolden was the only guy that had legit range. When he got injured, it showed.

Bolden/Hall is an above-average ACC safety unit. Bolden/anyone else is average, IMO. No Bolden/anyone else is below average.

I see having a good january has the slurpers saying Tae is elite, based on his recruiting ranking. Coincidentally, I clicked a link on 247 yesterday that showed UM’s all time highest recruits (went back to around 2000 or so). Lots of blast from the past names like Jolla, Leggett, Arthur Brown... link here:

The one name that jumped out was Latwan Anderson. I was fairly new to recruiting when he signed, maybe my 2nd or 3rd year following it. I remember being super excited. Googled his name yesterday. He is doing 7 years in Ohio state prison for a series of violent armed robberies.

Point being, slow down on Tae.

This is fake news. Latwan Anderson is currently on the track team

Advertisement
Back