Is Our Football Team Fast?

While I think the skill position speed is average, (certainly not where a good Miami team would rank) they still have plenty of quickness at positions like LB, DE, and TE. I don't particularly think the previous morons purposely recruited slower kids. I think the combination of the style of defense they played and the relentless "bulking up" of players made the team look a lot slower than they actually were. Lots of players on defense looked lost or hesitant in the old scheme, resulting in guys being out of position and taking poor angles. Forcing younger offensive linemen to gain lots of weight in a short period of time made them sloppy and slow footed. I believe the current staff's improved conditioning program should help a lot.

A reasonable assessment. While I don't think we are as dreadfully slow, plodding and pedestrian as some believe, things were heading in that direction very fast. Are we a vintage Miami team speed wise? No way! The new staff and a revitalised recruiting philosophy should have UM looking like themselves again in relatively short order. The new schemes and the emphasis on aggression and simplicity will make us seem faster this year with a bigger boost in 2017. By 2018 we should expect our team speed to be quite noticeable and back to traditional Miami standards.

Advertisement
We don't have any game breakers on offense besides Coley. Walton, yearby, cager etc while all good players, none of them are a threat to take it all the way anytime they touch the ball.

The BIG TEN style of football does not covet speed!
Speaking of Big 10 OSU had the fastest LB and DB at the combine. Urban has changed the mind set of the entire conference...Michigan beat the breaks off Florida, you must be thinking about the old the big 10 ....
Golden probably wanted us to be more like a Wisconsin team, than a winner like OSU
Except Wisconsin beat Auburn with a strong power running game like a bama. Gordon was coached by our own Thomas
Brown. Golden bulked kids up without getting them strong enough to carry weight properly. Thats why there is a rapid fat/weight loss throughout. False weight will definitely slow you down.

Speaking of Big 10 OSU had the fastest LB and DB at the combine. Urban has changed the mind set of the entire conference...Michigan beat the breaks off Florida, you must be thinking about the old the big 10 ....
Golden probably wanted us to be more like a Wisconsin team, than a winner like OSU
Except Wisconsin beat Auburn with a strong power running game like a bama. Gordon was coached by our own Thomas
Brown. Golden bulked kids up without getting them strong enough to carry weight properly. Thats why there is a rapid fat/weight loss throughout. False weight will definitely slow you down.
True, my bad

Advertisement
I think the rest of college football has caught on to what Miami created in the 80's with an emphasis on speed. The old Big 8 teams used to be slow and lumbering behemoths but when you look at what's now the BigXII, you see burners on both sides of the ball. The Big 10 has caught on too. The issue with some of the Big 10 teams is their location. Ohio State and Michigan can afford to cherry pick skill talent from the south and west coast. Teams like Wisconsin and Iowa have to tailor their schemes to the talent available. Lightning quick receivers and DBs aren't prevalent in those areas but big, strong linemen are. It's not that they purposely recruit slow players and turn away fast guys, it's that there's not a lot of fast guys in their recruiting base. It's the reason Golden's philosophy was the worst possible one for a Miami coach. You build a team around the talent available to you. If speed is abundant in your recruiting base, you emphasize speed in your game plan. You don't try to fit square pegs into round holes.

I think the rest of college football has caught on to what Miami created in the 80's with an emphasis on speed. The old Big 8 teams used to be slow and lumbering behemoths but when you look at what's now the BigXII, you see burners on both sides of the ball. The Big 10 has caught on too. The issue with some of the Big 10 teams is their location. Ohio State and Michigan can afford to cherry pick skill talent from the south and west coast. Teams like Wisconsin and Iowa have to tailor their schemes to the talent available. Lightning quick receivers and DBs aren't prevalent in those areas but big, strong linemen are. It's not that they purposely recruit slow players and turn away fast guys, it's that there's not a lot of fast guys in their recruiting base. It's the reason Golden's philosophy was the worst possible one for a Miami coach. You build a team around the talent available to you. If speed is abundant in your recruiting base, you emphasize speed in your game plan. You don't try to fit square pegs into round holes.

This. These Midwest teams aren't trying to be slow. They all try to recruit down here.

I think OSU and Mich are the exceptions

Watch out for lovie Smith at Illinois......Penn State is starting to recruit more speed at skill....Nebraska brat us with speed wr Kenny Bell 4.38/4.43 and rb Abdullah beat us with pure quickness....Wisconsin has been impressive in bowls by beating ranked teams Auburn and USC......Nebraska just beat a UCLA... Mich state is one of slower power teams offensively ( preferably). They ran into a tough match against bama. Connor Cook was obviously playing hurt the game was alot more competitive than the score. They have speed at skill just prefer power game and D is off the charts. I believe the Big 10 as a conference is entirely starting to change from straight power ball. Like bama and OSU proved the last two seasons it's good to have a mixture of both!

Advertisement
And speaking of Golden---He was definitley the fastest at getting out of town.

Advertisement
Players running track is not a positive thing.

Please explain why running track is not a positive thing?

Yeah, I'd be curious to hear about this as well.

Frankly, football guys particiapting in track used to be a regular occurrence through the 80s, 90s, 00s. It probably was more to do with the fact that JJ, DE, Butch recruited guys that ALSO happened to be great track athletes.

We had a bunch of kids on the track and field team in 2008. Just in the last couple of years Dorsett and Duke ran sprints, Artie ran hurdles and Njoku does high jump. I'd bet we have pretty much the same participation in track as we've had over the last 20 to 30 years.

Frankly, football guys particiapting in track used to be a regular occurrence through the 80s, 90s, 00s. It probably was more to do with the fact that JJ, DE, Butch recruited guys that ALSO happened to be great track athletes.

I should have written an explanation with my original comment; and I'm sorry for the delay. Personal life has been pretty hectic lately.

The only players who should participate track are the ones who could do track exclusively (and win championships/break records). Generally, at this level you're either a track guy or a football guy. Very rarely do you see someone who can do both and not hider their football development. And if you're really that talented at track, then only do track.

If you're participating in track, you're not with your team participating in mat drills/workouts/practice. You don't need track training to "get fast." You're fast or you're not fast. Track kids always show up after the track season weak, light, but in really good condition. Their long speed might improve a few milliseconds, but who cares. We want football players who can win a fistfight, change direction, AND run really fast.

The most important thing is that they're with their teammates as much as possible. Nothing builds team like group-shared hardship. The team needs their best players to be the hardest workers--they need to be present in order to do that.

Advertisement
Our front seven is fast. The rest is fast enough but not as fast as it should be.

I should have written an explanation with my original comment; and I'm sorry for the delay. Personal life has been pretty hectic lately.

The only players who should participate track are the ones who could do track exclusively (and win championships/break records). Generally, at this level you're either a track guy or a football guy. Very rarely do you see someone who can do both and not hider their football development. And if you're really that talented at track, then only do track.

If you're participating in track, you're not with your team participating in mat drills/workouts/practice. You don't need track training to "get fast." You're fast or you're not fast. Track kids always show up after the track season weak, light, but in really good condition. Their long speed might improve a few milliseconds, but who cares. We want football players who can win a fistfight, change direction, AND run really fast.

The most important thing is that they're with their teammates as much as possible. Nothing builds team like group-shared hardship. The team needs their best players to be the hardest workers--they need to be present in order to do that.

I don't think anyone is saying our guys should do track in order to get fast. Heck, the track coach probably has no interest taking on guys who can't contribute to his teams.

Using this logic, if you have football players littered on the track team, that means you have some athletes on the team.

I don't think anyone is saying our guys should do track in order to get fast. Heck, the track coach probably has no interest taking on guys who can't contribute to his teams.

Using this logic, if you have football players littered on the track team, that means you have some athletes on the team.

The gist of my point is that fringe players should just focus on football. I'm borderline paranoid with track and field talk at this point. Been hearing it for years and everyone seems to think it's a beneficial thing for a football player. Your logic assumes that people are making the right decision to run track. A player like Duke Johnson has no business running track, a player like Artie Burns did.

It's only a good indicator if all those players participating in track have business participating in track. Every year there's a herd of track and field pretenders going out there to avoid football workouts.

Advertisement
Back