Is Our Football Team Fast?

Moro

Thunderdome
An early sign of our team speed was when our football players ran track. Do we have any players running track this year? We will be very close to being one of the fastest teams in the country when this happens again.

Who are some of our fastest players that should be running track?

Last edited:
Advertisement
The Oline seemed like it was particularly slow as it ran face first without a helmet through the ***** machine.

Advertisement
That's why I like the incoming class because you have WR's and CB's that can run track which is traditionally a characteristic of Miami skill guys.

Do we have speed at the speed positions? NO!

Look at our long runs last year. Among the worst in all of college football.

We ranked #107 in runs over 10 yds
#101 in runs over 30 yds with just five.

Its a miracle we won 8 games.

Advertisement
We systematically de-emphasized speed in recruiting over the past 5 years. Will take a while to build it back up. Going to have to win another way for now.

While I think the skill position speed is average, (certainly not where a good Miami team would rank) they still have plenty of quickness at positions like LB, DE, and TE. I don't particularly think the previous morons purposely recruited slower kids. I think the combination of the style of defense they played and the relentless "bulking up" of players made the team look a lot slower than they actually were. Lots of players on defense looked lost or hesitant in the old scheme, resulting in guys being out of position and taking poor angles. Forcing younger offensive linemen to gain lots of weight in a short period of time made them sloppy and slow footed. I believe the current staff's improved conditioning program should help a lot.

Advertisement
While I think the skill position speed is average, (certainly not where a good Miami team would rank) they still have plenty of quickness at positions like LB, DE, and TE. I don't particularly think the previous morons purposely recruited slower kids. I think the combination of the style of defense they played and the relentless "bulking up" of players made the team look a lot slower than they actually were. Lots of players on defense looked lost or hesitant in the old scheme, resulting in guys being out of position and taking poor angles. Forcing younger offensive linemen to gain lots of weight in a short period of time made them sloppy and slow footed. I believe the current staff's improved conditioning program should help a lot.

Nice post! Also, factor in the speed of Bruce, Richards, Mullins, Young ,Finley, and Mcloud, Q-man on D.....is going to benefit. This frosh group is telented enough to push upperclassmen for PT.

Advertisement
The BIG TEN style of football does not covet speed!
Speaking of Big 10 OSU had the fastest LB and DB at the combine. Urban has changed the mind set of the entire conference...Michigan beat the breaks off Florida, you must be thinking about the old the big 10 ....

The BIG TEN style of football does not covet speed!
Speaking of Big 10 OSU had the fastest LB and DB at the combine. Urban has changed the mind set of the entire conference...Michigan beat the breaks off Florida, you must be thinking about the old the big 10 ....
Golden probably wanted us to be more like a Wisconsin team, than a winner like OSU

The Oline seemed like it was particularly slow as it ran face first without a helmet through the ***** machine.

The OL probably got lost and stuck in the ***** machine last year, probably why they were nowhere to be seen on game days

Advertisement
Back