Is Mario Cristobal a scrub?

Here’s my definition of a scrub: a guy that steals CIS posters money, pretending he’s going to put a big billboard up, and instead gets an illegal alien to drive around in a dilapidated lawn truck for half a day with a homemade sign.

Season 20 GIF by E4
Bad Luck GIF by Travis
OCC this is a scrub, we're still looking...billboard???
Did you say "billboard"?......got to find that old, dilapidated
truck GIF
lawn truck first...

Advertisement
Advertisement
This topic will probably get thrown out here at least twenty more times this off season but it's not stupid. It's a legit concern or should be for any Miami fan. Mario wants to win with a physical rushing attack. That's not hyperbole, that's not opinion, that's fact. Is Mario willing to win without "out-fizicaling" the opponent? He seemed pretty happy about beating Texas A&M with almost zero help from the running game.

IMO, while I believe Mario would prefer to win games by bludgeoning opponents with the offensive line, he's not SO STUPID that he would rather lose that way than win by finesse. I think a lack of trust in the quarterbacks and injuries to TVD made it look a little more bleak than it would have been had Van Dyke not gotten hurt against UNC. It wasn't until the following week that the offense went into a complete shell and not surprisingly, came back to life the last two weeks of the season against UL and BC when Tyler had healed. If we can somehow acquire a capable QB through the portal or somehow develop one of the guys we already have, I believe we will see an offense that is more than just "durrr...run ball into line....durrr" over and over. To me, any real improvement next year will almost 100% be reliant on improved quarterback play.

This topic will probably get thrown out here at least twenty more times this off season but it's not stupid. It's a legit concern or should be for any Miami fan. Mario wants to win with a physical rushing attack. That's not hyperbole, that's not opinion, that's fact. Is Mario willing to win without "out-fizicaling" the opponent? He seemed pretty happy about beating Texas A&M with almost zero help from the running game.

IMO, while I believe Mario would prefer to win games by bludgeoning opponents with the offensive line, he's not SO STUPID that he would rather lose that way than win by finesse. I think a lack of trust in the quarterbacks and injuries to TVD made it look a little more bleak than it would have been had Van Dyke not gotten hurt against UNC. It wasn't until the following week that the offense went into a complete shell and not surprisingly, came back to life the last two weeks of the season against UL and BC when Tyler had healed. If we can somehow acquire a capable QB through the portal or somehow develop one of the guys we already have, I believe we will see an offense that is more than just "durrr...run ball into line....durrr" over and over. To me, any real improvement next year will almost 100% be reliant on improved quarterback play.
It's less about intelligence and more about ego and stubbornness, and whether that is the case or not remains to be seen. We were literally doing fine prior to the bi and Mario insisted on reverting back to something that didn't work last year and didn't work the rest of this year either, yet the guy isn't an idiot and makes 8 million a year.

Advertisement
We were literally doing fine prior to the bi and Mario insisted on reverting back to something that didn't work last year and didn't work the rest of this year either, yet the guy isn't an idiot and makes 8 million a year.
This isn’t really the case. The offense didn’t change until after UNC. They had 453 yards against GT with a majority of them through the air. Another 391 passing the next week against Carolina. Tyler got hurt in the UNC game and they went hyper conservative the next four weeks because they didn’t trust Emory to throw and Tyler was a wreck physically and mentally. Tyler come back healthy against Louisville and throws for 327 and another 290 against Boston College. The game plan was drastically different with a healthy Van Dyke than it was with either freshman quarterback or an obviously injure Van Dyke.

I didn't want to start a new thread, so this is about Mario, so hopefully, this is a good landing spot for this post...

My question regarding Mario is - does he have the wherewithal to actually hold himself accountable and change?

Look, when the bullets aren't flying and there's no real pressure (like for me opining on the state of the U and Mario, etc.) clarity of thought and logic can reign supreme and it's natural. But, I can only imagine that with a ton of pressure that comes from money, media exposure, and donors weighing in, making real changes, especially those that highlight your past failures, must be difficult - for Mario.

There's no question in my mind and probably in the minds of over 90% of CIS, that if Mario recognized his shortcomings from this past year, held himself accountable and implemented real, tangible changes, that he would make us elite again and be a smashing success here.

These are obvious, but the 3 that are ABSOLUTELY within his power to control are:
  1. ACTUALLY holding ALL players accountable. He lost a lot of goodwill and respect by allowing George to willynilly act the fool in the Pinstripe without being yanked out. That inaction made all of his tough rhetoric about accountability look like total BS. He was supposed to be the tough old-school guy that at least hold players accountable, but he didn't.
  2. It's not up for a debate anymore (if it ever was), he is historically and measurably bad at gameday coaching. Butch drove me to the brink of madness with his gameday coaching and how he would just give games away that he didn't need to give away. Mario makes Butch look like Saban with Gameday coaching. Is Mario able to see that this is probably the biggest inhibitor to his success? Is he willing to hire someone or maybe listen to folks like Highsmith or whomever, to improve the gameday coaching?
  3. There continues to be smoke that Dawson was not truly allowed to run the O and that Mario hampered him and the O's success. The first two points are concrete and inarguable, and this is conjecture because no one has come out publicly and stated, "Yes, Mario interfered with the running of the O." Whether it's Mario or not, the O must be run lke the O of the TA&M game. The O, no matter who is taking snaps, needs to have movement, innovation and be an attacking O. Mario either needs to step out of the way or, if he's not the one causing the hampering, insist that the O have movement, innovation and consistently attack.
So... the question is - does Mario have the ability to hold himself accountable and reset his course here at the U? It's within his control, but for Cribby, D$ and anyone else in the know - does Mario understand that those 3 items are big problems and if so, is he prepared to fix those things?

Last edited:

Pretty sure Mario believes that wins are a natural byproduct of his physical and ol based philosophy. They are so interconnected in his mind, there is no trade off. He thinks scheme creativity is for pussies who arent tough enough or physical enough. And he might have been happy with the Aggie win but he didn’t act like he won a NC like he did after we beat Clemson his way…

Advertisement
Mario is the biggest scrub on this planet. You can take Shannon, Golden, Richt, and Diaz but he is the worst of all. Why you may ask. He has been given every conceiveable tool including money to hire, facilities, marketing, and capital to buy players but he still is stuck in his own pathetic ego and football philosophy of losing games. HE TRULY IS THE WORST HEAD COACH EVER!

Mario is the biggest scrub on this planet. You can take Shannon, Golden, Richt, and Diaz but he is the worst of all. Why you may ask. He has been given every conceiveable tool including money to hire, facilities, marketing, and capital to buy players but he still is stuck in his own pathetic ego and football philosophy of losing games. HE TRULY IS THE WORST HEAD COACH EVER!
Until Mario corrects the necessary shortcomings (which are all within his control to do), I'll maintain that the coach in the post-Butch era with the best chance to bring us back was Golden...IIIIFFFFF he could've let go of his BFF after the completion of the 2nd season and everyone knew he was the worst DC in the country.

In the multiverse, there's an Earth where Donuts got caught for something sordid, Golden was forced to fire him, and then Al hires a competent DC and the Canes build it back....

Le sigh...

Advertisement
8688f7ab-e5e7-431a-84ed-60cb0d55cac6_text.gif

I'm very hard on him right now as well, but dude has won his conference multiple times, had multiple back-to-back 10 win seasons, won the Rose Bowl and went to the shoe and beat the *'s when everyone thought he'd get blown out.

I'd like to believe that what's happened here is a combo of bad fortune and the bad fortune compounding his weaknesses.

It's all still correctable, but he is empirically better and more successful than any coach we've had since Coker (who had been handed the keys to the space shuttle).

The team was 4-0,including an impressive win over Tam but of course Mario and his **** ocd did't like the way the offense was looking so he gets involved and tells his OC he want to be more physsical and more running up the gut and here we are.

Ah yes I forgot about this fabricated made up narrative here.

The team was 4-0,including an impressive win over Tam but of course Mario and his **** ocd did't like the way the offense was looking so he gets involved and tells his OC he want to be more physsical and more running up the gut and here we are.
If it's that simple, then that's an easy fix.

Advertisement
Back