Is it time for us to move away from pocket passers?

Advertisement
Morris is plenty athletic enough to run, he just lacks pocket presence and any awareness whatsoever of when to take off.

I'm going to disagree here, because this was his strength last year. After his big arm, this is what the scouts loved about him is how well he moved in the pocket while always looking down field.

I don't think he's still hurt, but I wonder if its in his head right now. I remember Jacory seemed to have the same issue after he got smashed in that Virginia game. I think JH woke up in cold sweats over that.

Advertisement
Jacory and Morris are spread QBs from south Florida with major major flaws. These are the QBs our moron former coach left us with: deeply flawed, not good at reading the field, struggle in run first play action offenses.

Fortunately our new HC understands that the QB position is critical, and so he's locked up elite ones.

The line of thinking that "we have plenty of talented dual threat QBs in SoFla to pick up" is not only untrue (Geno and Teddy are both pocket passers, and both overrated) but its the line of thinking that leads to a QB 2-deep that includes only Morris and Jacory.

you niggaz living in the 80s mane..
we need to go to a spread type offense like oregon
and find a qb that can sling it and can run...

I don't even think we need anything different from what Stephen brings to the table. A pocket passer who can move. I think we need to get teams THINKING he will take off at any moment. A couple designed runs every now and then. It's amazing how defenses start missing assignments when they have to worry if the QB will take off or not.

Advertisement
I haven't watched Kaaya. Does he have wheels?

I'm a huge Gus Malzahn guy. Golden and he were my top 2 guys for the coaching vacancy in 2010.

I think having a runner adds another dimension, but first and foremost you need a guy who can win the game passing.

Thing is Malzahn has a pocket passer committed to him now

Its about getting the best guy

Agree.

Players first, then plays.

I think Malzahn can run his offense with a variety of different QB's. His first season at AU he took Chris Todd who really couldn't move and had a week am and helped him have a solid campaign. Lost in all of the talk of Malzahn's zone read offense is the fact that his offense in it's most simple terms is a power running game offense. That's what he likes to do. Now, he will most definitely air it out, but he's more of a run guy and likes to establish the run to set up the pass. Regarding White, I think that if he's starting at AU, it's either because they don't have a better mobile option, or they have a lights out RB to take the pressure off of his inability to run.

I haven't watched Kaaya. Does he have wheels?

I'm a huge Gus Malzahn guy. Golden and he were my top 2 guys for the coaching vacancy in 2010.

I think having a runner adds another dimension, but first and foremost you need a guy who can win the game passing.

Thing is Malzahn has a pocket passer committed to him now

Its about getting the best guy

Agree.

Players first, then plays.

I think Malzahn can run his offense with a variety of different QB's. His first season at AU he took Chris Todd who really couldn't move and had a week am and helped him have a solid campaign. Lost in all of the talk of Malzahn's zone read offense is the fact that his offense in it's most simple terms is a power running game offense. That's what he likes to do. Now, he will most definitely air it out, but he's more of a run guy and likes to establish the run to set up the pass. Regarding White, I think that if he's starting at AU, it's either because they don't have a better mobile option, or they have a lights out RB to take the pressure off of his inability to run.

Yep.

You know I'm a huge Malzahn guy. They won 8 or 9 games with Barrett Trotter, right?

I think you'll see the change in recruiting now that we have James coley leading the qbs. He likes dual threat qbs. We are also the leader for the top dual threat qb in the nation according to 247. Name of the recruit slipped my mind though

Gibson

Advertisement
Pocket passer or runner, offensive execution is not sustainable over a Championship run unless a QB can process information pre-game, in-game, pre-snap and post-snap. It's less important in the college game than in the NFL, but as we move to a 2 game playoff series, I think it'll become a far more valuable attribute.

There'll be a good amount of film out there already and you have to "show everything" in your critical games and then your Conference Championship. No longer can you spend a month preparing for that "one" game and protect your QB with new sets/looks to keep the defense off-balance. By the time you get to the Championship game, an enormous advantage will be the guy who can make second looks.

We have to recruit. Morris was a plan B backup. No reason why he should be the franchise QB the last two seasons.

We need to recruit!

Advertisement
morris was a 2* with a cannon... didnt have a good senior year but whipple seen something in him..

Advertisement
Back