Is it time for us to move away from pocket passers?

cane33

Thunderdome
I mean, it's been a decade since we've had a good one. Pocket passers haven't done **** for us in awhile.

Look around college football, Dual-Threat QBs are the wave. From Manziel, to Mariotta, to Winston, etc. They are tearing it up. But we seem to be unwilling to get away from this idea of having a "prototype" pocket passer. Those don't grow on trees and are much harder to find and develop.

South Florida produces dual-threat QBs every year. Why aren't we taking advantage of this instead of going to Texas, and Pennsylvania, and California every year in search of another pocket passer who'll turn out to be a bust?

Advertisement
Winston is more my ideal model of a QB. A pocket passer that can run

Regardless I dont think the style matters as much as just getting a good one does.

I think you'll see the change in recruiting now that we have James coley leading the qbs. He likes dual threat qbs. We are also the leader for the top dual threat qb in the nation according to 247. Name of the recruit slipped my mind though

Advertisement
More pocket passers winning nat championships. Cam newton only dual threat that comes to mind fairly recent and we can't afford him. Tebow was one dimensional. Am I missing someone?

I mean, it's been a decade since we've had a good one. Pocket passers haven't done **** for us in awhile.

Look around college football, Dual-Threat QBs are the wave. From Manziel, to Mariotta, to Winston, etc. They are tearing it up. But we seem to be unwilling to get away from this idea of having a "prototype" pocket passer. Those don't grow on trees and are much harder to find and develop.

South Florida produces dual-threat QBs every year. Why aren't we taking advantage of this instead of going to Texas, and Pennsylvania, and California every year in search of another pocket passer who'll turn out to be a bust?

Let's see, 5NCs with pocket passers. Hum. Wait, Bama 3 of last 4 and going for third in a row, pocket passers. Winston is not so much dual threat as mobile. If you watch he is always looking to throw. I am not ready to give up our pro style for sand lot yet. Oh, Super Bowl last year--pocket passer. Don't go for the cheese.

I think you'll see the change in recruiting now that we have James coley leading the qbs. He likes dual threat qbs. We are also the leader for the top dual threat qb in the nation according to 247. Name of the recruit slipped my mind though

Torrance Gibson?

More pocket passers winning nat championships. Cam newton only dual threat that comes to mind fairly recent and we can't afford him. Tebow was one dimensional. Am I missing someone?

Tebow was dual threat. They werent a wing T team lol

Vince Young is another dual threat NC champ

Advertisement
I haven't watched Kaaya. Does he have wheels?

I'm a huge Gus Malzahn guy. Golden and he were my top 2 guys for the coaching vacancy in 2010.

I think having a runner adds another dimension, but first and foremost you need a guy who can win the game passing.

I'm a huge Gus Malzahn guy. Golden and he were my top 2 guys for the coaching vacancy in 2010.

I think having a runner adds another dimension, but first and foremost you need a guy who can win the game passing.

Thing is Malzahn has a pocket passer committed to him now

Its about getting the best guy

Thing is Malzahn has a pocket passer committed to him now

Its about getting the best guy

Agree.

Players first, then plays.

Tebow was dual threat. They werent a wing T team lol

Vince Young is another dual threat NC champ
Tebow was no threat to pass. Lol. Interesting that only two examples other than cam can't play a lick in nfl. I'm a pocket passer guy. Being able to run if flushed like you said Lex is ideal. Aaron Rodgers would be best current example I think. Luck moves well for his size.

Advertisement
Yea Rodgers and Luck run in a very similar style to Winston. When they have to and athletic to avoid pressure in the pocket

I think the more kids see guys like Vick and rg3 getting killed the less dual threat qb's will be coming up through the ranks. Unless the nfl keeps moving towards 7 on 7 flag football.

Advertisement
Yeah, that's Morris problem. He's a pocket passer. Has nothing to do with him being a mental midget.

Morris is a duel threat QB, we just don't utilize him in that fashion. He has wheels.

Morris is plenty athletic enough to run, he just lacks pocket presence and any awareness whatsoever of when to take off.

Advertisement
Back