Is Dominant Defense a Thing of the Past?

I believe the definition of "dominant defense" is going to have to change a little. The old days of teams holding opponents to 7 or 8 points per game are gone. Comparing today's defenses to yesteryear's is unfair if you consider the rule changes that all favor offenses. Just like offenses that were considered explosive thirty years ago seem pedestrian compared to today's fast paced scoring machines.

Advertisement
I've said it before. A great defense wont dominate a great offense all the time:but it will make key stops and get clutch turnovers. Like bamas interception of Watson when Clemson was threatening to go up by two scores. That was the play of the game. Sure. It was a bad decision by watson but defense still has to make the play and that's what great defenses do nowadays

I firmly believe our old defenses would do very well against the spread, the read option and the uptempo offenses of today. Aggression and speed everywhere were our trademarks. Disruption of the backfield hurts any offense. Nobody could do anything wide on us -- too much speed. Many times our OLBs covered speedy WRs out of our base defense. We ate options to death. QBs running up the middle was probably our one recurring weakness. If there is one school and one defense that could handle today's offenses it is old Miami defenses with all that Miami speed (remember those 205lbs LBs Al hated?)

Thats all?

LOL! What do you think Vern?

Alabama has the best defensive mind in the game in Saban...and what 3 first round picks on the D Line, two linebackers in Ragland, and Reuben FOster who are top draft picks...Secondary with CYrus Jones, Eddie Jackson and Humphrey..5 star CB Tony Brown doesnt even start,,,and they cant stop clemson?? Some offenses some nights just cant be stopped..... On the other hand Alabamas defense has been dominant all year.. but their talent is just ridiculous..last night showed you WIth the right QB in college.. spread offenses cant be stopped.. Best hope is to create turnovers against teams talented as CLemson

Another thing you could do is match speed with speed. Alabama is big and powerful. but it's very hard for a 260 pound lb to run with an 180 pound wr to the edge. Glad we are getting back to the 220 lb that can run.

Have you ever seen Reuben Foster run? I guarantee you hes faster or just as fast as every LB we have not named grace... Did you not see that 300 pounder chased down Watson on the two point conversion? Alabama has plenty of team speed on defense

Of course, I have. Do you think Reuben Foster is fast enough to constantly stop guys like Stacey Coley from getting to the edge? And that same 300 pounder couldn't chase Watson when he broke contain, and scramble for a first down. It's very hard to be both big, physical and fast. The Pittsburg Steelers are probable the best in the NFL at running the 3-4 defense, they have historically struggle with the Patriots because they spread them out, and attack their inside LB's.

no. if u can get 3-4 very good corners, 2 safeties who can cover and tackle, and 8 dl who can come in when subsitute who can all get to qb u can have a dominant d in college.

the thing is u really need to find 3 corners who in 80s would of all been number 1 cb. the nickle guy has to be a chris harris type like the denver broncos use who is quick and fast. then it all comes down to being able to penatrate get pressure with 4 and keeping in lanes so mobile qb's can't just skip away.

also u need a dc unafraid to get after qb's , he has to be willing to at times put his corners on an island and send 5-6 guys at a time. the spread offense has its challenges to stop but it can be done.

so while dominant d isn't thing of the past it will take a team who can get speed everywhere to do it. bama had a great d but a great qb just made them avg. because they don't have that dominant cover corner. and really in today's college u need at least 2 of them against teams like clemson to shut them down.

Not sure if this post was tongue in cheek but that is nearly impossible to do, bama with unlimited resources and best coaching still got ripped and had to gamble with onside kick because nick admittedly had no faith in his gassed defense built specifically for this type of offense..

Saban's defense is not built for that kind of offense. Saban's defense is big and powerful, meant to keep teams from running all over them. Look at the difference between the Mich St game and the Clemson game. Clemson is fast and all about getting the ball to playmakers and letting them do work. Mich St is a more of a grind em out offense. Saban struggles most with offenses like Clemson's, but doesn't see them very often in the SEC.

Saban very clearly stated they made detailed changes to adjust to uptempo offenses. Houston's coach opened his doors to saban in offseason where Saban humbly bought his whole staff and then Houston's came to Tuscaloosa, also it has been published multiple times that They had Dlineman drop weight, he recruited more speed rushers, He moved cover corners to safety, he adjusted packages, he had lineman ready to be subbed in and many more adjustments to adjust to uptempo spread offenses. Believe me he wasnt doing all this for pro style guys. Even with all that, still got lit up.

I say that to say even Nick with all resources, all offseason to tinker, with adjustments made, and an endless supply of top flight recruits, the top defensive mind in college ball today cant keep up. Sabans defense is big and powerful and fast and talented, its whatever he wants it to be. Its the best in land and still got lit up

There's a difference between making a defense built to stop that kind of offense and making a gameplan to stop the offense. You said his defense was built for it and I disagree. Building the defense is the long term play starts all the way in recruiting. I believe you meant his gameplan was built for that offense which I would agree with and is a short term situation. You will have to find a way to make the defense you've built fit the gameplan.

Advertisement
Watson is a great QB and Clemson have a great offense. Give them some credit. That said, it is difficult to impossible to shut down a spread offense when it's clicking. A dynamic dual threat QB, who can actually pass, like Watson, Manziel, and Mariotta are the key. This is one reason I wasn't hung up on Miami keeping a pro-style offense.

Ohio State was able to physically dominate Oregon but Bama had to outscore Clemson. The Tigers dictated the pace of the game, but Saban is the best coach and the Tide made enough key plays to win.

Advertisement
Back