Is David Gilbert our most important defensive player?

How about Deon Bush and Rayshawn Jenkins? If either of them go down that means Highsmith or Rogers.

A great D line improves an average secondary. If our D line is legit I am not worried about the secondary

And makes a young talented secondary potentially scary. If Gilbert gets in and is healthy he's going to be a big time upgrade at DE and will help the pass rush immensly.

Advertisement
Curtis Porter

This. The most important part of any defense is the DTs/NT... If porter has a great season, we'll have a great defense... If not, the O will be counted on to score tons of points. We need porter to take up blocks on runs and push the pocket on pass plays. The rest will follow as a result of this.

Did anyone see the DL last year? I feel like anything other than Porter (who made a SIG DIFF when healthy) is a terrible answer.

SIG DIFF = Significant Difference

For Some Reason... I'm more Excited about AQM and Coley Seeing the Field then about a transfer with Foot problems... Although Yes- Gilbert, would be a Boost but only if Healthy.. IMO .. AQM is more important.. Especially with no D.Bond this year.

JC

Advertisement
A guy who will most likely play 10-20 snaps a game (if he actually plays here) will very likely not be our most important player. In terms of overall wins, it's Duke, easily. In terms of big wins, if Chickillo can develop into the player he was thought to be as a prospect, it's him, and it's not close. Having a legit 2 way end that can put in 10+ sacks can change a defense immensely.

For Some Reason... I'm more Excited about AQM and Coley Seeing the Field then about a transfer with Foot problems... Although Yes- Gilbert, would be a Boost but only if Healthy.. IMO .. AQM is more important.. Especially with no D.Bond this year.

JC

No way AQM is more important THIS YEAR. Gilbert was slated as possibly Wisconsin's top returning DL. He was their main passrusher. But, he was also an every down player for them that wasn't a liability against the run. He has gone up against BCS caliber offensive lines (including one of the best in the nation in practice) for 4 years.

I think AQM could potentially find a role on the team for this season, but we have to get away from counting on freshman to contribute, especially on the D line.

Besides getting in, health is the main question. But, I think he is healthier than many think.

Gilbert would be the only guy on the team who has proven that he can rush the passer. We have McCord, Cain, Hoilett, AQM and perhaps Figueroa as skinny guys who can supposedly get to the qb.

But Porter is arguably the best player on defense so it has to be him.

Did anyone see the DL last year? I feel like anything other than Porter (who made a SIG DIFF when healthy) is a terrible answer.

SIG DIFF = Significant Difference

So you abbreviate it and then take the time to write it out. Wouldn't that have been easier to do in the first place?

Advertisement
Contract year, so he's going to spill his guts out. Proven talent against BCS competition. Grown man. Our pass rush eats turds. So, yes, I'm going with Gilbert being the most important addition to our defense this year.

I'm not sure if he's the most important defensive player (that could be a healthy hungry Porter, or OP, who is ready to explode and become a late first or early 2nd round pick), but he will most definitely be the most important addition to the 2013 team.

JC

No way AQM is more important THIS YEAR. Gilbert was slated as possibly Wisconsin's top returning DL. He was their main passrusher. But, he was also an every down player for them that wasn't a liability against the run. He has gone up against BCS caliber offensive lines (including one of the best in the nation in practice) for 4 years.

I think AQM could potentially find a role on the team for this season, but we have to get away from counting on freshman to contribute, especially on the D line.

Besides getting in, health is the main question. But, I think he is healthier than many think.

I can't deal with Someone who isn't here YET and the status about his health still in questioned. Once he GETS here i'm sure my Tone will change but until then.. I think AQM will have some impact off the edge while gaining experience if used in pass rushing situations. I'm not saying he's gonna have to log in time like Chick had too his 1st year.. but he'll get some meaningful time. More than David Perry .. LOL

JC

Curtis Porter played in the last four games of the season and was not in the best "shape."

First 8 Games Scoring Avg/Per Game: 32.38
Last 4 Games Scoring Avg/Per Game: 26.75

First 8 Games Rushing Yards Allowed Avg/Per Game: 249.25
Last 4 Games Rushing Yards Allowed Avg/Per Game: 155.25

Now I understand the opponents (SOS) was not the same in the first 8 games v. the last 4 games, but my point is to illustrate that with Curtis Porter (i.e. a pretty good DT) the quality of play around him improves because of his skill.

As a whole, we averaged 1.08 Sacks Per Game and 4.42 TFL Per Game. Something tells me if he is healthy, that will increase dramatically.

Contract year, so he's going to spill his guts out. Proven talent against BCS competition. Grown man. Our pass rush eats turds. So, yes, I'm going with Gilbert being the most important addition to our defense this year.

I'm not sure if he's the most important defensive player (that could be a healthy hungry Porter, or OP, who is ready to explode and become a late first or early 2nd round pick), but he will most definitely be the most important addition to the 2013 team.

Considering CP played in 1/3 of the games and did so in not the best football shape, I am going with Porter. Having him healthy is a tremendous addition.

If you want a NEW ADDITION, then it's probably Gilbert. Anyone who can replace Green at that spot and put in quality time is a MAJOR ADDITION.

Advertisement
O'Donnell might be our most valuable defensive player. Seriously. He's been booming them. If we can pin the other teams below the 20 everytime, that'll make our D better.

How about Deon Bush and Rayshawn Jenkins? If either of them go down that means Highsmith or Rogers.

A great D line improves an average secondary. If our D line is legit I am not worried about the secondary

And makes a young talented secondary potentially scary. If Gilbert gets in and is healthy he's going to be a big time upgrade at DE and will help the pass rush immensly.

Unless Wilfork and Campbell transfer in this can't be a "great" D line.

I think Porter is our most important Defensive player but, ****, it would be nice to add Gilbert and Renfrow at least to have depth and make this a decent line.

Advertisement
I'm not ready to get excited about any of these transfers (Gilbert, Derosier-still don't believe he's a real person, or Renfrow) until they strap up and are practicing on the field.

I know I can not prove my assumption, but I feel that the ENTIRE Dline will be significantly improved, and that we won't be relying on one or two individuals as much as last year.

Everyone and their brother has been bad mouthing the defense, and certainly have the stats to back up the *****in' . True enough, we WERE very young. I think our defense took a lot of that criticism real personal, and want to break their feets off in some opponent butts this year.

So while we still have Porter, and hopefully an infusion of new talent, I think the self-flagellation of last season was one very powerful motivator.

Advertisement
Back