Is Cook a better prospect than Duke?

They're much different players, but Duke is clearly better. All that Cook does better than Duke is break away -- which we still haven't seen at the college level yet. He's also significantly bigger than Duke. Duke has better hands, balance, change of direction, acceleration, blocking, intangibles; most everything. However, what Cook has over Duke is significant. Breakaway speed kills. Lets also mention that Duke's breakaway speed is great, but not elite like Cook. Cook is going to be the big back that we've been looking for. Some people might not like this, but I think he's in the mold of a McGahee, a player with a rare combination of size and speed. Duke is unlike anyone we've ever had at Miami. Either way, they're both studs. Yearby is no slouch either. He's going to end up being a change of pace back when Duke is gone (assuming we get Cook and he ends up being our feature back). Powell might end up playing slot for us -- I'm not sure what to expect from him.

Advertisement
The only thing with Dukes wait is that if he doesn't gain that weight he is SUPER injury prone as he was small. If Duke goes to the NFL without this weight he would get injured in a heartbeat, so as much as it sucks and he might have lost A LITTLE speed, he wouldn't survive as a player both in college but especially the NFL without the added weight.

Anyways, hope Duke comes back stronger and faster after this injury. Hope he does a lot of speed training with weights and **** and gets that explosiveness and speed back to an elite level. He will

And I agree, Duke was relied on WAY too much this year in terms of getting multiple carries in a row throughout the game. I get that we don't have the best RB depth but you can't put him in there like that and not expect him to get exhausted and injured. The whole point of having him put that weight on is to be able to rely on him more as a full time running back, but enough is enough, especially when he's still getting used to the weight he added on and ****.

I could have told you four games into the season he would suffer a bad injury. It was inevitable honestly.

Put me in the category that was ****ed off at how foolishly coach Coley was allowed to abuse Duke Johnson this year. Just some stupid **** IMO; giving the kid four consecutive carries on more than one occasion, etc...

This is why I disagree with the people who say "We're good with Yearby and Powell." This team is dying for a 200-pound back that can take some of the pressure off Duke.

Collins would have been the guy this year. Next year, I hope its Cook or Sony.

Agreed. Its also why I was begging for our staff to give Mo Hagens some carries early in games. He's the kind of guy who can soften up linebackers that will allow a Duke or Clements to break big runs later in the game.

Put me in the category that was ****ed off at how foolishly coach Coley was allowed to abuse Duke Johnson this year. Just some stupid **** IMO; giving the kid four consecutive carries on more than one occasion, etc...

This is why I disagree with the people who say "We're good with Yearby and Powell." This team is dying for a 200-pound back that can take some of the pressure off Duke.

Agreed. Its also why I was begging for our staff to give Mo Hagens some carries early in games. He's the kind of guy who can soften up linebackers that will allow a Duke or Clements to break big runs later in the game.

Coleys learning on the job it's obvious after this season...

Now we need to see his biggest strength in recruiting pay off this off season and pray we see improvement in play calling next season

Advertisement
I agree Duke was used too much, but the drop in talent from Duke to Crawford or Clements is pretty significant. If Duk
e had only been getting 15 carries a game there would have been outrage we weren't using him more.

After watching Cook again today, I think he's the best of all the recent South Florida RB's. I don't get the comments about his lack of vision, power, etc. He's the full package

This **** rt here.............big fkin hole if we lose cook. Collins was the biggest miss last year n with him we r 11 n 2 right now imo.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back