Is Central the best OL in South Florida history?

Carol City teams of the early to mid 90s had 3-4 high D1 guys. I don't recall who the others were but I remember they were **** good.

Freeman Brown
Ricky Perry
Donald Heaven (FSU) - he was a soph or JR on that team.

The STA one with Young, Winger, etc was real good as well.

Advertisement
Maybe that Lakeland line from a few years back??

You had the Pouncey's who were both All-American's and 1st round picks with one being an NFL All-Pro as a rookie. I believe they had some other small school guys on the line as well, I'll check. That STA line from a few years back with Young, Wenger, Gilbert, etc. was beastly as well. All 4-5 star players IIRC.

Last edited:
Obviously they can mash, how good are they in the passing game? What impressed me when I saw STA a few years back was that they seemed to have pretty advanced technique & ability in both phases.... they could get physical or give tons of time in the pocket, whatever was needed.

You had the Pouncey's who were both All-American's and 1st round picks with one being an NFL All-Pro as a rookie. I believe they had some other small school guys on the line as well, I'll check. That STA line from a few years back with Young, Wenger, Gilbert, etc. was beastly as well. All 4-5 star players IIRC.

Killa - South Florida, don't believe Lakeland would be considered S. FL

Advertisement
After just finishing watching Cook's state game highlights, I don't think I can give Central's OL that much praise. There were a lot of runs where Cook was making moves prior to or at the line of scrimmage. Granted I haven't watched all their games or anything but that small sample size didnt look like what I'd expect from the "best OL in South Florida history"

Without knowing too much pre 2000s, I'd say the best South Florida OL I know of was STA's when they had Sam Young, Marcus Gilbert, and Dan Wenger.

When a team has two of the top 5 backs in the country and lose, I don't even consider the offensive line as being the best. Put an average back in their place and how many games would they have lost? Only scoring 17 at home against Washington tells me they were not as good as it appears. Washington had a small defensive line this year, what did that offensive line do against them? I'd have to say STA a few years back.

Last edited:
When a team has two of the top 5 backs in the country and lose, I don't even consider the offensive line as being the best. Put an average back in their place and how many games would they have lost? Only scoring 17 at home against Washington tells me they were not as good as it appears. Washington had a small defensive line this year, what did that offensive line do against them? I'd have to say STA a few years back.

You realize Washington is ranked #1 in the nation. You're ripping them for only scoring 17 points against the #1 ranked team in the nation:ohlord:

Killa - South Florida, don't believe Lakeland would be considered S. FL

Aaaah fair point. I guess I'd got with STA's line from a few years back then. 3 of the 5 made the NFL and pretty sure their backup line was full of D-1 guys as well.

Advertisement
You do realize Central had two of the top 5 backs in the country? These are not just average backs running behind that line. I saw Washington play this year, their D was very small and they took it right to Central. I don't think Washington would have done that to STA a few years back, no way. Has there been another team with two top 5 backs in their senior year at the same time? I mean anywhere in the country? Have to take that into consideration too.

You realize Washington is ranked #1 in the nation. You're ripping them for only scoring 17 points against the #1 ranked team in the nation:ohlord:

You do realize Central had two of the top 5 backs in the country? These are not just average backs running behind that line. I saw Washington play this year, their D was very small and they took it right to Central. I don't think Washington would have done that to STA a few years back, no way. Has there been another team with two top 5 backs in their senior year at the same time? I mean anywhere in the country? Have to take that into consideration too.

So? Washington is ranked #1 in the nation and you make it out like they're bad and Central should be embarrassed for "only" scoring 17 against them. I don't really care about STA from a few years back, I'm talking about BTW and Central from this year, and you made it out like losing to BTW and only scoring 17 against the #1 TEAM IN THE NATION is something to be embarrassed about.

I would say with all that talent they could have done more but both backs put up crazy numbers for years.. Kinda hard to rip them but I never felt like they just straight dominated a team after leaving a game.

Advertisement
Focus man! lol He asked if Central had the best offensive line in history. It's a mythical NC, lol. Lot's of great teams all over the country they didn't play. I never said the should be embarrassed because they only scored 17. I just pointed out, they have two top 5 backs. With that said if they had a top offensive line they should have scored 50 against Washington. Don't care if you don't care about STA, lol. The Vegas team ran on Washington pretty well with an average back and a horrible QB.. I'd have to say the Vegas teams offensive line was better than Central's, just sayin!

So? Washington is ranked #1 in the nation and you make it out like they're bad and Central should be embarrassed for "only" scoring 17 against them. I don't really care about STA from a few years back, I'm talking about BTW and Central from this year, and you made it out like losing to BTW and only scoring 17 against the #1 TEAM IN THE NATION is something to be embarrassed about.

Last edited:
Focus man! lol He asked if Central had the best offensive line in history. It's a mythical NC, lol. Lot's of great teams all over the country they didn't play. I never said the should be embarrassed because they only scored 17. I just pointed out, they have two top 5 backs. With that said if they had a top offensive line they should have scored 50 against Washington. Don't care if you don't care about STA, lol.

You're not making any sense. BTW was ranked #1 in the nation for a reason. They're obviously a very good team. No shame in Central only scoring 17 against them, and you made it out like that was a bad thing. Should Central have scored more? Who knows, but it's not like they were held to 17 by Palmer-Trinity.

Advertisement
Back