Interview with Ex-Cane, Chad Wilson

Status
Not open for further replies.
View as article

Nash Williams

Freshman
Recently I spoke Chad Wilson, who is a former Miami Hurricanes cornerback from 1992 to 1994. He is now the current defensive coordinator at University School in Davie, Florida.

Nash Williams: Talk a little about the memories you have from playing at the University of Miami.

Chad Wilson: "I was fortunate enough to come in at a time where The U was doing really well. We had just come off of a national championship, we were in the limelight atop the top 25 teams all three years I was there. Unfortunately, we lost all three bowl games but two of those bowl games we were in national championship contention. So I had a really great experience playing with the University of Miami, and playing in the bowl games and just the bonding with my teammates and being a part of the epicenter college football at the time."

NW: Now what are your thoughts on the 'Canes recent recruiting success?

CW: "It's a little difficult for me to comment on recruiting mainly because I have a son that's involved in the process. I really have to measure my words. I usually don't reflect much publicly on what the University if Miami is doing. Especially since people make a big deal that (my son Quincy Wilson) doesn't have an offer from Miami so that's an ongoing thing the fans want to talk about. They're either on one side of the fence or the other. (Fans) sometimes say (Quincy) is overrated because he hasn't been offered by Miami and some fans are just that way. They also say if Al Golden hasn't offered him then he must not be good. Then you also have the people who are a little more level headed and wonder why Quincy hasn't been offered. I have not had any discussions with the coaching staff regarding Quincy's recruitment, which in my opinion is a mistake."

NW: You run GridironStuds.com, just talk a little about what that is.

CW: "The main point of the website is that it allows perspective college athletes to come on, to make a profile and add their highlight tape so that it may be seen by college coaches that come to the sight on a daily basis and are looking for talented kids that they may not know about. Something like a "self-help" website for athletes. I started the site about four years ago and didn't expect for it to become as big as it is now."

NW: What's it like to be a coach at University School especially with all that top talent?

CW: " It's been one of the better experiences of my life. I am fortunate enough to be working under one of the most respected coaches in the country (Roger Hariott) and certainly in Florida. We have a really great program and I am priveliged to be a part of a staff that is all looking for the same things like developing a kid's football talents but as well as themselves emotionally and spiritually. I just feel really good to be a part of something like that and I'm just really thankful for that."

NW: Your guys' schedule over at University School is crazy this season. Your scheduled to play top teams like Miami Central, Bradenton Mantaee, and Miami Norland just to name a few, are you aiming to get your guys' so-called stock up?

CW: "These are teams that we have asked annually to play us and we have not been able to get those games. I guess now that we have won a state championship that adds a certain amount of credibility so the teams are now agreeing to these games. At the end of the day it's just football. It's us coaching it and and the kids playing it and were just seeing who's better at it. Anything you do you try and be the best at it. So you obviously want to play the best teams out there.There's no reason to run from anyone."

NW: What is your role with the South Florida Express and what are some of your better memories of that team?

CW: " This was my third season with them and it's just a joy to be around kids that are that talented. To have the opportunity to coach those kids and have some type of impact on them. Also we get the chance to see what type of kids they are aside from the game of football. They're all very nice kids and we had a very nice year this year. The kids seem to get along. I think it's great when kids from other programs can kind of let down the armor of we are better than you and this and that and come together and become friends. Kids who may have been enemies had that not played on this team together and these guys are going to be friends for many years to come."

You can follow me on Twitter @NashSports

Advertisement
And you ******* idiots keep giving these people a voice, especially on a 'Canes site. Don't you people understand that nobody on this board gives a **** about this guy and his kid? Between him, Goetz, and Lice Harris...Miami will continue to fight an uphill battle with these kids.

It's sad that guys with openly negative agendas like these can be seen as "impartial advisers" to families and kids in their respective neighborhoods.

The difference between this **** hair and Genron is that he USED to be A Miami player. Take a look at all of the Broward kids that just recently missed (Moten, Clark, ect.)...there is a common theme with them.

Good job nash..... How did your folks come up with that name.... Nash sound like a super hero potato

I care, politics is half the recruiting game... As a fan I want to know all perspectives

I would like to see Quincy get his offer, some of us here act like little girls (might be an insult to little girls). The kid is talented, he is legacy he should be a cane. Now let the attacks begin

Advertisement
Majority, if not all, of the coaches that's had an interview on here gave their thoughts on success we've had in recruiting. I knew he was going to mention Quincy at some point but that's all he talked about when it came to that question. If he had an offer at least, he would have a whole lot more to say about it.

And you ****ING idiots keep giving these people a voice, especially on a 'Canes site. Don't you people understand that nobody on this board gives a **** about this guy and his kid? Between him, Goetz, and Lice Harris...Miami will continue to fight an uphill battle with these kids.

Thanks for the click.

65.gif

Advertisement
If he plays safety and want to play safety..... I'm sure he'd have an offer. This due and Harris are 5 ft nothing and want to play QB. That's just not realistic.

Nash - Good interview.

One of the things that caught my attention is that Chad said he has not had any conversation with the UM staff with regards to Quincy's recruitment and that was a mistake.

Did you get a sense if he meant it was a mistake on his part or the UM coaching staff?

Considering Chad played at UM, is Quincy's dad and defensive coordinator, I believe, he should be proactive and ask Golden or someone on the staff what is going on.

Or maybe, just maybe everything isn't always what it seems. My last post of the day. Last one offline today, please don't forget to charge the computer. :neonu:

Advertisement
I would like to see Quincy get his offer, some of us here act like little girls (might be an insult to little girls). The kid is talented, he is legacy he should be a cane. Now let the attacks begin
Why would you give him an offer, so he can switch hats on signing day? He doesn't want to play safety why offer. Why didn't you ask " if his son received an offer would he accept" That is the question.

Choad has taken some PR lessons from Lice. He knows when to appear reasonable even though he actually isn't.

P.S. Big Nash, brush up on your work. Take some pride and re-read your work before you submit it. Way too many basic mistakes make you appear sloppy. And the word is "prospective" not "perspective" where you used it.

Advertisement
Would be nice to see some harder questions asked in that interview. Maybe ask Chad if he feels it's appropriate for someone who is responsible for mentoring and leading young men to behave the way he does on twitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back