Interesting

You don’t think Louisville and Boston College played any zone the last two weeks? You can’t believe that their coaches watched Miami film and said “**** this kid is struggling against zone coverage but **** it, we’re just going to ignore that and play man all game”? Louisville and BC both threw plenty of zone at him today but he just made smarter decisions. Dawson also made adjustments to make it easier and give more options for check down throws. Notice how many tight end targets there were today?
Bingo. TVD nor Mario nor Dawson lost the Louisville game for us. As bad as it hurts to say it, 31 lost us that game by giving up 1st down after 1st down after touchdown after big play to the TEs due to bad eyes and not sticking to his responsibility of staying with the TE.

I think there is an argument that TVD loses the Clemson game, we all were happy when Emory was given the keys and he surprisingly held up.

But we’ve got 3 losses right now that even with TVDs questionable decision making - we were playing better football but lost due to freelancing/backyard gambling football being played by 5 and 31 on DEF. 5 is elite and 31 has a chance to be special but the UNC big play TD explosions are on 5 and Louisville beating us is on 31. GT game we played terrible all around but it was a win, period- Mario gave us an L.

Advertisement
He supposedly met with the Syracuse AD. I think you’re right, although he’s still pretty young.
Actually a good job for him. No pressure to win the conference, just win 7-8 maybe and go to bowl games. Doesn’t have to recruit , as players aren’t going there anyway, so he can get the guys who want to be there and simply coach them up.

What other starting caliber QB is going to come here if TVD is back? If he does come back you have QB 1 and QB 2 (Emory) on campus. The problem is QB 3 (unknown) and QB 4 (Judd) is a disaster waiting to happen in a year that I suspect Mario really wants to compete.
Agree with everything accept! The Judd part, if tvd comes back that means Judd will sit 2 or 3 year with tvd 1 more and then Emory takes over!!

Nobody is meddling Dawson's offense is just very bland. Plus we seen Dawson with Tune ( a mobile qb) last year and he almost got playcalling duties taken away from him. I think we can win with Dawson but its going to take us adding some serious playmakers
He did alright with he had! it was QB play and lapses on defense that did us in. I like both guidry and Dawson Year 2 with them will tell us alot

But stop running up the middle on first down every time!

Against BC. Excluding goal-to-go and 4th quarter (game was over).

1st down runs --- 11 --- 5 of those hit for >5 yds (a few for much more)

1st down passes --- 11 --- 5 incomplete, 3 for >10 yds, 3 for <10 yds --- 2 TVD scrambles on 1st down for +yardage, so actually 13 1st down passes

Other than the facts, I totally agree with you. No team should run up the middle on 1st down every time.

Advertisement
He did alright with he had! it was QB play and lapses on defense that did us in. I like both guidry and Dawson Year 2 with them will tell us alot
I keep hearing about the qb play but Dawson is the quarterback coach is he not? Here is what concerns me ...

Patrick Towles 2015- 1 season under Dawson threw 14 interceptions

Clayton Tune - 2020 - 10 interceptions

Clayton Tune- 2021 - 10 interceptions

Clayton Tune- 2022 - 10 interceptions

Tyler Van Dyke- 2023- 12 interceptions

Call me crazy but that seems like a pattern

I see this he’s only good vs man thing and i wonder how the qb coach doesn’t get any blame for this lol. Like i remember teams playing sone vs lashlee and this was never a problem

Tvd has a slow clock so yea technically he will struggle vs zone more than man but I always thought if an offense is struggling vs a specific coverage its more the coordinators fault. Especially in our case when u have teams dropping 7 or 8 while we have 3 guys running down field, defenders not getting put in conflict, throwing windows get smaller so yea the qb wil struggle

He made bad decisions but if he keeps doing it i gotta start looking at whose coaching him
Very well said.

I am of two minds here. Yes, TVD can make a poor decision but what if anything did Dawson do to help. It seems Dawson did not prepare for the zone he was going to see over and over after GT. Yes, there were plays with wide open WRs and TVD makes the wrong choice but what did they do to try and limit these mistakes other than go run heavy. Dawson did not seem to be that creative against zone at all.

Even the WRs appeared to not really understand how to find an open pocket and sit in it. So many times, I saw them run directly to a DB and stand there. That seemed to be where their understanding ends with some of the pass routes. Run 5-7 yards and stop. This didn’t help anyone.

So much more could have been done by the coaches.

Very well said.

I am of two minds here. Yes, TVD can make a poor decision but what if anything did Dawson do to help. It seems Dawson did not prepare for the zone he was going to see over and over after GT. Yes, there were plays with wide open WRs and TVD makes the wrong choice but what did they do to try and limit these mistakes other than go run heavy. Dawson did not seem to be that creative against zone at all.

Even the WRs appeared to not really understand how to find an open pocket and sit in it. So many times, I saw them run directly to a DB and stand there. That seemed to be where their understanding ends with some of the pass routes. Run 5-7 yards and stop. This didn’t help anyone.

So much more could have been done by the coaches.
Screenshot_20231116_200257_Samsung Internet.jpg

Call me whatever you like, but I really think TVD and the offensive struggles revolves around his injuries, and them being more serious than we knew. I mean his leg injury sounds about as bad as it can be pain wise.

But the issue is that he’s seems a bit injury prone, and I’m not sure you’re gonna find an OL that will protect you better.

If you could guarantee me TVD of the first 4 and last 2 games, I’d welcome him back with open arms. But that middle season stretch was brutal, injury or not.

Advertisement
I keep hearing about the qb play but Dawson is the quarterback coach is he not? Here is what concerns me ...

Patrick Towles 2015- 1 season under Dawson threw 14 interceptions

Clayton Tune - 2020 - 10 interceptions

Clayton Tune- 2021 - 10 interceptions

Clayton Tune- 2022 - 10 interceptions

Tyler Van Dyke- 2023- 12 interceptions

Call me crazy but that seems like a pattern
Not crazy at all and that is a pattern!

Advertisement
Back