Interesting video (WR v. DB)

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
This old video popped up on my YouTube and was very entertaining to rewatch. It's the Rivals 5-star challenge, WR v. DB. The top national guys from both the Class of '17 and '18 are competing.

Some familiar names are Mike Harley, Trajan Bandy, Al Blades, Jerry Jeudy, Asante Samuel, Trevon Grimes, Devonta Smith and more.

All of the local guys showed well, but the guy that really stood out to me was Blades (beginning :46, 3:00 and again at 5:55).

[video=youtube;WITt_u8HY7I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WITt_u8HY7I[/video]

Last edited:
Advertisement
This old video popped up on my YouTube and was very entertaining to rewatch. It's the Rivals 5-star challenge, WR v. DB. The top national guys from both the Class of '17 and '18 are competing.

Some familiar names are Mike Harley, Trajan Bandy, Al Blades, Jerry Jeudy, Asante Samuel, Trevon Grimes, Devonta Smith and more.

All of the local guys showed well, but the guy that really stood out to me was Blades (beginning :46, 3:00 and again at 5:55).

That dood is nicceeee

Advertisement
Blades is underrated by this fanbase because it was a foregone conclusion he was coming here

I think it’s more because the coaches at Saint Thomas Aquinas didn’t play him as much as we thought they would . The kid is incredibly talented and was even a starter in the All-Star game, yet wasn’t the starter for most of the season at STA . Makes zero sense .

Bandy looked like a boss out there. He was all over Ruggs, Smith, and Jeudy. Harley looked good as well.

Advertisement
Blades is underrated by this fanbase because it was a foregone conclusion he was coming here

I think it’s more because the coaches at Saint Thomas Aquinas didn’t play him as much as we thought they would . The kid is incredibly talented and was even a starter in the All-Star game, yet wasn’t the starter for most of the season at STA . Makes zero sense .

he rotated and the kid he rotated with is just as good and should have an offer for this upcoming class imo. No diss to him(blades). We hsould offer 2 of stas db in this class. This is STA not rinky dink High they have div 1 guys as 2nd and 3rd stringers at times. But to be honest i think that was the best he looked in a camp setting. Hes a kid when he has confidence he plays real well. Theres some other camp video where he doesnt look as good as well. Im glad hes ours though because he has upside. Could be looking at a 6'0 185-190 cb with length in a year.

Physical tools are obviously a big part of being a corner but being able to read receivers like that is a special ability. You can have the quickest feet in the world but the DB breaking on the route 2 steps earlier will always get there first.

Physical tools are obviously a big part of being a corner but being able to read receivers like that is a special ability. You can have the quickest feet in the world but the DB breaking on the route 2 steps earlier will always get there first.

His length really saves his feet. He can get beat off the line with good footwork by the WR, but his length allows him to get his hands on the WR and latch on/jam/re-route. Competition hopefully and coaching will helpfully hone his craft, but he has a good baseline to work with.

he rotated and the kid he rotated with is just as good and should have an offer for this upcoming class imo. No diss to him(blades). We hsould offer 2 of stas db in this class. This is STA not rinky dink High they have div 1 guys as 2nd and 3rd stringers at times. But to be honest i think that was the best he looked in a camp setting. Hes a kid when he has confidence he plays real well. Theres some other camp video where he doesnt look as good as well. Im glad hes ours though because he has upside. Could be looking at a 6'0 185-190 cb with length in a year.

He look good at the opening as well and was one of the only guys able to cover Amon ra st brown from cali

Advertisement

His length really saves his feet. He can get beat off the line with good footwork by the WR, but his length allows him to get his hands on the WR and latch on/jam/re-route. Competition hopefully and coaching will helpfully hone his craft, but he has a good baseline to work with.

I agree with all this. Also i expect Rumph to go extra with a kid hes known since he was an embryo like him. One thing i know..kid is still a BLADES. So at worse he will be a guy that gives his all at the U. Not a kid that doesnt understand what it means to be a cane or is riding the 30 for 30 wave. Hes gonna have that Bandy, Jaquan Johnson, Mike Pinkney, Shaq feel as guys that understand

He look good at the opening as well and was one of the only guys able to cover Amon ra st brown from cali

he was putting hands on guys their to. To be honest he looked better at the national camps than the local camps. Which is a good thing.

Advertisement

look at 3:19 its exactly why these dbs dont turn there head sometimes, Bandy looks back and Harley is thrown open for an easy score. Its tough to be a DB period and Im sure every DB coach in America on the planet tell these dbs to turn there head, its pretty much risk or reward.

I agree with all this. Also i expect Rumph to go extra with a kid hes known since he was an embryo like him. One thing i know..kid is still a BLADES. So at worse he will be a guy that gives his all at the U. Not a kid that doesnt understand what it means to be a cane or is riding the 30 for 30 wave. Hes gonna have that Bandy, Jaquan Johnson, Mike Pinkney, Shaq feel as guys that understand

I agree with the attitude and mental disposition comment. He knows his family legacy and the Blades (thier mindset) have a lot to do with our history as a program

al blades is much bigger than i thought, looks like physically ready especially after putting on some weight in our S&C program. Excited about him, could be a potential first rounder

Advertisement
Back