Interesting stat on Art Kehoe and the Miami OL

Advertisement
The guy has 5 rings, I have no idea why we like to talk about this.

I was always more ticked off with the OL in run blocking situations on 3rd and short and goal line attempts. But could never tell if it was Kehoe or Swassey I should be upset with.

I have never had much issue with our pass blocking. Our run blocking however has not been good. We never seem to get that yard when we need it most and when the D knows we are going to run.

This. Given the size & strength of the OL it is mind-boggling how the team struggles at drive blocking and has no identity in the run game. The schemes & techniques just aren't getting it done.

Also Ereck Flowers played with awful pass pro technique & got by on sheer size & physical ability. His balance & hand placement issues have been well-documented by the NFL draft community. Here's one infamous .gif of 330+ lb. Flowers vs. 220 lb. Randy Gregory http://zippy.gfycat.com/BlackJadedBlackfly.webm

Flowers & Seantrel Henderson should be viewed as knocks against Kehoe, not positives. Brandon Linder has already been much better in the pros as well.

And let's not forget about Kehoe's "bang the table" pet project: the wondrous Sunny Odogwu.

Advertisement
This. Given the size & strength of the OL it is mind-boggling how the team struggles at drive blocking and has no identity in the run game. The schemes & techniques just aren't getting it done.

I'd say the lack of identity in the running game has a lot to do with the playcalling. We were 20th in yards per rush last year.

I remember reading a series of articles about college football sack rate a couple of years ago. Not sure what the source was. They probably are still available if somebody looks for them.

I wrote down four aspects that stood out to me. Found these in my notes after looking at this thread:

* Greatest predictor of sack rate is how often the team throws the football. The teams that abuse the pass are less likely to be sacked as frequently

* A reduction of one sack per 25 pass attempts corresponded to 2 more points scored by the offense

* There was no relationship between yards gained per completion and sack rate. The author expressed surprise at this. He noted that we don't have yards traveled in the air data in college football.

(My impression: The long gains per completion, despite sack rate, can be partially explained by all the cheap underneath throws that are allowed to ramble in college football. That's why I don't like screen passes and other finesse garbage against weak teams. Far too easy, if not virtually guaranteed, that the coordinator falls in love with them and doesn't realize they don't translate to games against top opponents. Note that Ohio State threw the ball downfield with greatly increased regularity and effectiveness once Jones became the quarterback)

* Overall sack rate in college football is 5.86% per 100 pass attempts. So while Kehoe's recent rate is impressive it's hardly an exponential deviation, like those guys atop the list allowing a sack only 1 in every 30 or 37 attempts.

(I don't know where the OP's data comes from. It's possible there has been a more recent and detailed study than the one I looked at a couple of years ago)

Art has been the best coach on this staff by a large margin since he's come back

Ll
I have never had much issue with our pass blocking. Our run blocking however has not been good. We never seem to get that yard when we need it most and when the D knows we are going to run.

Also Ereck Flowers played with awful pass pro technique & got by on sheer size & physical ability. His balance & hand placement issues have been well-documented by the NFL draft community. Here's one infamous .gif of 330+ lb. Flowers vs. 220 lb. Randy Gregory http://zippy.gfycat.com/BlackJadedBlackfly.webm

Flowers & Seantrel Henderson should be viewed as knocks against Kehoe, not positives. Brandon Linder has already been much better in the pros as well.

And let's not forget about Kehoe's "bang the table" pet project: the wondrous Sunny Odogwu.

For the last point, there are busts on every team.

As for Linder and Seantrell, it's been talked to death, but no one goes through a minicamp and suddenly learns enough to be a starter. That's just dumb. They came in prepared.

Your knock on Flowers is one play against a nice player. It's obviously Kehoes fault that he took a play off.

Jesus.

Advertisement
Kehoe is a zone guy. Golden wants power blockers and runs his schemes accordingly. Kehoe is a wasted resource

I say this half jokingly but some of those other teams on the list got the benefit of facing our defense

1 of maybe 3 plays that Gregory beat flowers for the whole game. Dumb logic flowers dominated gregory and the others that game but all you are showing is one play he got beat. Man...gtf on..

We run an often bipolar offense. Specifically, the run game is all over the place between power runs and zone schemes. We also recruit both zone guys and drive blockers. I don't think it's surprising to find very talented players amongst inconsistent collective results.

Advertisement
Not trying to **** on the OP's point or anything... (cause I love Kehoe)

But lately our O-lines have had some pretty good talent... (EX: Morris played behind 3 NFL starters and the all-time leader in starts at Miami)

And some of the post-season knock on our O-line draftees were that they were raw and/or unpolished. I specifically remember hearing comments about the technique or Flowers, Henderson and even Feliciano.

1 of maybe 3 plays that Gregory beat flowers for the whole game. Dumb logic flowers dominated gregory and the others that game but all you are showing is one play he got beat. Man...gtf on..

He has a valid point though.

This. Given the size & strength of the OL it is mind-boggling how the team struggles at drive blocking and has no identity in the run game. The schemes & techniques just aren't getting it done..

They don't struggle with drive blocking. Matter of fact, it's the one thing they're very exceptional at. When they get the opportunity to lock on, they move people. The problem is that they run too much zone blocking IMO.

Advertisement
And some of the post-season knock on our O-line draftees were that they were raw and/or unpolished. I specifically remember hearing comments about the technique or Flowers, Henderson and even Feliciano.

Heard the same things but it didn't take Henderson long to play in the pros. He stepped right in. Same with Linder.

Flowers has some issues with his hands and balance but he's still a baby.

Heard the same things but it didn't take Henderson long to play in the pros. He stepped right in. Same with Linder.

Flowers is fairly new to football as he used to be a basketball player in highschool mainly before playing his junior year at dr Krop and then norland his senior year. His hand placement should be better no doubt but he was very consistent. His potential is through the roof. Even with his so called poor technique he was a excellent lineman in college. Scary to think about how good he will be once he puts it all together and work on his hand placement

Yeap. OL standard use to be redshirt then 4 years. Flowers was gone in three. I can't see knocking Art because a kid goes first round after just 3 years. Given our staff, complaining about a coach who has been a part of every NC we have, seem to be like worrying about how your hair looks on the way into surgery to remove a cancerous lung.

Flowers issue to me was consistency, he seemed complacent at times and I thought he wasn't as dominant as he could've been. I think he's going to be a very good pro however because working for that next contract is likely to be huge motivator.

Advertisement
Back