Interesting stat on Art Kehoe and the Miami OL

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
Which offensive line coaches have best protected their quarterbacks?

Instead of simply looking at total sacks allowed, varying styles of play with large differences in pass attempts means you have to compare the sacks allowed relative to passes thrown.

Here are the 15 offensive line coaches with the most passes attempted per sack allowed over the last three years.

proxy.php

Advertisement
What makes these numbers even more significant is that Miami attempts a lot of deep passes.

Some of this has to do with the great talent recruited by Jeff Stoutland, but Kehoe has developed even the fringe roster guys like Jared Wheeler, Ben Jones and Jeremy Lewis. He also has done a good job of preparing the true freshmen to play.

I may be in the minority but I still think Kehoe is a very good coach. The sheer number of players he's put in the pros, despite not playing in a traditional OL factory, cannot be ignored.

That is impressive actually. A lot of people on here are hard on him. I don't think he is the greatest line coach, but he isn't a bad one. Does his job.

That is impressive actually. A lot of people on here are hard on him. I don't think he is the greatest line coach, but he isn't a bad one. Does his job.

He does more than his job, whom on that list do you think is a better Oline coach than Kehoe?

**** at one point a few years back the entire starting Oline for a playoffs caliber Houston Texans team were former canes coached by Kehoe during their time at Miami. I absolutely hate his musical chairs approach with linemen, but I will not deny that he pumps out some well coached versatile o-line players.

Go Canes

Art Kehoe evaluating a potential UM recruit by checking for the infamous Z bend flexibility he looks for in players.
[video=youtube;mFdyG28wzR0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFdyG28wzR0[/video]

Advertisement
**** this dude just gets you fired up about Miami

[video=youtube;Mh7yWyK02AY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh7yWyK02AY[/video]

keep in mind, morris held the ball alot too. Kaaya made smarter decisions. plus considering the inures & morris that number can actually be lower lol

What makes these numbers even more significant is that Miami attempts a lot of deep passes.

Some of this has to do with the great talent recruited by Jeff Stoutland, but Kehoe has developed even the fringe roster guys like Jared Wheeler, Ben Jones and Jeremy Lewis. He also has done a good job of preparing the true freshmen to play.

I may be in the minority but I still think Kehoe is a very good coach. The sheer number of players he's put in the pros, despite not playing in a traditional OL factory, cannot be ignored.

Also, a lot of those other offenses run a quick spread scheme, which gets the ball out quickly and reduces chance of a sack (vs. a drop back, pro-style QB)

Advertisement
I've gone from being one of Kehoe's bigger supporters to one of his bigger critics and am now slowly coming full circle to being a fan of his again.

My best read is that Art sort of lost his motivation for coaching at some point. Maybe being fired by Coker and finding out that he had very little market value outside of south Florida served as the motivation necessary for him to regain a sense of focus. We have seen a handful of posts here from folks who have access to practices that Art is often coaching very aggressively in practices.

Last edited:
I think Keboe's production matches his OL talent. Miami generally recruits 3 star OLs and they usually perform like 3-4 star talents. When given a 5 star talent like Flowers, they end up multi year starters and high draft picks......and Kehoe would be a beast at Alabama, LSU, or Texas.....jmo

I think Keboe's production matches his OL talent. Miami generally recruits 3 star OLs and they usually perform like 3-4 star talents. When given a 5 star talent like Flowers, they end up multi year starters and high draft picks......and Kehoe would be a beast at Alabama, LSU, or Texas.....jmo

This, Kehoe can coach up any level of talent.

Art has been the least of our problems . The issue is the DC, OC, DL, Db and St's coaches

Advertisement
I have never had much issue with our pass blocking. Our run blocking however has not been good. We never seem to get that yard when we need it most and when the D knows we are going to run.

I also think since he returned we haven't faced many defenses... At one time the coastal kept strong defenses... VT, UNC(under Butch),GT all had terror defenses... Even our non-divisional games from 2007-2010 added teams with terror defenses like USF (Pierre-Paul and Selvie), OSU, Clemson and Pitt had some really talented d-line... I think that played a role as well...

Advertisement
I think a lack of offensive identity works against Art also. We had great lines when our offensive identity was power run, play action pass.

Art is the least of the problems on this coaching staff.

That's why I believe we'll be fine next year on offense. Miami has a chance to get to the ACC championship game, but Golden will probably hold em back. So, 8-4 next year... But that might be enough to make it?

It is kinda hard to sack the qb when you are throwing a ton of wr screens.

Also, it is the play calling. I believe there was a stat were Brad completed like 68% of his passes on 3rd down and long but only got a first down like 30% of the time. That means too me that the qb is getting rid of the football very quickly.

Also, this offense uses the shotgun alot. Quick passes with the deep drop makes it hard to get too the qb.

As far as the deep pass, it seems to me that for the most part that those plays happen earlier in the game when the defense is still figuring it out. In all honesty, how many deep balls are completed in the 4th quarter compared too the first?

He got lazy recruiting the first time around. I think he did a solid job with what he has to work with, he's not part of the problem.

Advertisement
Back