Interesting quote from Rivals interview on Richt offense

Advertisement
Mark Richt started his coaching career in 1985 as a volunteer quarterbacks coach for the Florida State Seminoles (FSU) serving under Bobby Bowden. Richt left the Seminoles to join East Carolina University as their offensive coordinator in 1989. After one year at East Carolina, Richt returned to Florida State to serve as the Seminoles' quarterbacks coach. He was promoted to offensive coordinator in 1994 upon the departure of Brad Scott. Under Richt’s direction, Florida State had some of college football's most explosive offenses. In his seven years as offensive coordinator the Seminoles ranked in the nation’s top five scoring offenses on five occasions, were top twelve in total offense five times and top twelve in passing offense five times. The 2000 Seminoles offense finished the regular season ranked first nationally in total offense (549.0 yards per game), first in passing offense (384.0 ypg) and third in scoring offense (42.4 points per game).

Mark Richt started his coaching career in 1985 as a volunteer quarterbacks coach for the Florida State Seminoles (FSU) serving under Bobby Bowden. Richt left the Seminoles to join East Carolina University as their offensive coordinator in 1989. After one year at East Carolina, Richt returned to Florida State to serve as the Seminoles' quarterbacks coach. He was promoted to offensive coordinator in 1994 upon the departure of Brad Scott. Under Richt’s direction, Florida State had some of college football's most explosive offenses. In his seven years as offensive coordinator the Seminoles ranked in the nation’s top five scoring offenses on five occasions, were top twelve in total offense five times and top twelve in passing offense five times. The 2000 Seminoles offense finished the regular season ranked first nationally in total offense (549.0 yards per game), first in passing offense (384.0 ypg) and third in scoring offense (42.4 points per game).
So what happened in his early years at UGA cause he didn't get those same results. I like Richt but the description above does not match what he did in his first 5 or so years at UGA. Maybe it was talent level or maybe he didn't even run the same offense in his first few years at UGA that he did at FSU. Something about his time at UGA just doesn't add up. It's strange

We will see

Last edited:

Irrelevant. Bobby Bowden's teams did that!

When did FSU football decline? As soon as Richt left. Look at their offense rankings in 97-99 then 2000-2002

Under Richt they were 4-29-3 in scoring from 97-99

He left and they were 5-21-32 from 00-02. Nice decline there.

Last edited:
Advertisement
This makes going back and looking at Richt's old offenses a bit more of a priority. I looked at 1994 and found some interesting things. Maybe I'll look at 2000 Miami (it's more fun to watch the games Miami won) and then 2001 and 2002 Georgia. If you chart the games/plays you can get a better idea of what actually occurred rather than just statistics.

A few things I'm looking forward to seeing:

- Does Richt tailor his offense to his personnel, or does he run the same system and recruit to that system exclusively?
- He loved the FB dive on short yardage in 1994, but had Zach Crockett, who was a manchild. Does he continue leaning on that play or change up?
- His base play was allowing the QB to complete simple math. 6 in the box and he walked up into I-formation. 7 in the box he stayed in shotgun with a back on either side of him.
- I hear a lot about tempo or fast break with his offenses at FSU, but in 1994 he didn't really do what I'd call fast break. He stayed in no huddle quite a bit to prevent the defense from substituting, as he could snap the ball if they tried subbing too much. Mainly, his offense was fairly simple that gave options on what to run depending on how the defense decided to line up. I'm interested to see if he did the same things against a team with less speed at LB. 1994 Miami was absolutely elite at the LB position. He likes to put those players in positions to make decisions and then run routes to attack them and make their decision always wrong. A few times the LB's were wrong, but were still so fast and athletic, they just made up for it.
- How does Richt attack with a better QB? The offense was conservative in 1994 under Kanel, but as much as I like him trolling the SEC on Twitter, he really wasn't very good as a QB in 1994. He was even benched during the game for a Junior who wasn't very good either, but the first play under the Junior they went deep (to no avail).

When did FSU football decline? As soon as Richt left. Look at their offense rankings in 97-99 then 2000-2002

Under Richt they were 4-29-3 in scoring from 97-99

He left and they were 5-21-32 from 00-02. Nice decline there.

No.......Bobby Bowden hired his son (Jeff) who wasn't qualified to be OC and BB refused to fire him!

So in his contract, it was written that he had to run the former tennis player AD's pro-style style offense?

Next the Golden slurpers will be saying that Blake James was telling Golden to not change the scheme and Golden really wanted to fire Doritos but wasn't allowed.

as long as they keep the HB blizzard redzone pass in the play book with the game on the line I'm good

Advertisement
feel our O will be tough... running and passing... really like the fact that Richt will call plays. one of the best going
OC Bobo called plays last 7-8 years and it showed. i think in todays game it takes a combo approach
spread, no huddle, I formation power running game split backs 4& 5 wide and think Richt will use all of them

I guess we need a breakdown of Georgia's offensive stats from 2001-2006, and 2007-2014 when Bobo was OC.

That shouldn't be too hard. If someone does this, I hope they do so on a per-play basis and only in competitive games. I don't see a ton of value in knowing how he did against Savannah State.

I did a study on how teams did against FCS Programs on a percentile basis and found that it just didn't hold any predictive value. I think the R^2 was somewhere around 0.12, which means no correlation.

I guess we need a breakdown of Georgia's offensive stats from 2001-2006, and 2007-2014 when Bobo was OC.

That shouldn't be too hard. If someone does this, I hope they do so on a per-play basis and only in competitive games. I don't see a ton of value in knowing how he did against Savannah State.

I did a study on how teams did against FCS Programs on a percentile basis and found that it just didn't hold any predictive value. I think the R^2 was somewhere around 0.12, which means no correlation.

Sounds like you are using regression. Props. What do you do when you are not analyzing football?

Advertisement

Sounds like you are using regression. Props. What do you do when you are not analyzing football?

Manager of a Financial services department. Do a lot of modeling, Bayesian analysis, derivatives, integral calculus, probabilities etc.

Ordinary Least Squares finds the parameters in a linear regression and is fairly simple with Excel. I do a lot more linear regression than I do binomial regression, which is more of a Yes/No or 0/1 type regression.

Manager of a Financial services department. Do a lot of modeling, Bayesian analysis, derivatives, integral calculus, probabilities etc.

Ordinary Least Squares finds the parameters in a linear regression and is fairly simple with Excel. I do a lot more linear regression than I do binomial regression, which is more of a Yes/No or 0/1 type regression.

Nice. Great to have you onboard! Appreciate your insights.

Y'all clearly have no idea. You got a million dollar job and your boss tells you that he doesn't want the spread cause it's not "Georgia football"...and he wants you to hire an OC...that's what you do.

LOL @ why didn't he quit.

Advertisement
Y'all clearly have no idea. You got a million dollar job and your boss tells you that he doesn't want the spread cause it's not "Georgia football"...and he wants you to hire an OC...that's what you do.

You have no idea......believing that BullSh*t! Here is one for you, Mr Gullible: Blake James would not allow Golden fire Dorito LMAO.

Richt was good at FSU b/c we were on probation mane, he had the best talent to work with and FSU was hot at the time. He had all of those boys from down south to work with.

You have no idea......believing that BullSh*t! Here is one for you, Mr Gullible: Blake James would not allow Golden fire Dorito LMAO.

Here's the difference between you and I , though.

My opinion is based off something that was told to me via a Georgia high school coach who had a rapport with Richt.

Also, other people from Georgia echo the same story. You, however, have zero real information to base your opinion off of. People like you should just STFU and listen sometimes. Be objective.

Here's the difference between you and I , though.

My opinion is based off something that was told to me via a Georgia high school coach who had a rapport with Richt.

Also, other people from Georgia echo the same story. You, however, have zero real information to base your opinion off of. People like you should just STFU and listen sometimes. Be objective.

I've heard the same thing. Also, the unwritten rule of the SEC of the 12 second between snaps for officials. The hurry up isn't effective when you can't hurry up. So he trashed it. That's why there's not many teams in the SEC that speed up the tempo and if they do, it's not as effective as it is in other conferences.

Advertisement
Back