Interesting notes on Clemson that could help us in the game.

From David Lake article.

CLEMSON’S 2020 OFFENSIVE LINE DOESN’T HAVE MUCH STARTING EXPERIENCE​

Experience does matter on the offensive line and Clemson’s 2020 unit is a pretty inexperienced group. The Tigers’ offensive line returns just 17 games of starting experience in 2020. That ranks 128th in the country.

Now inexperience doesn’t necessarily mean poor play at all. Talent can trump inexperience and Clemson annually recruits at a high level, but it is worth noting that the Tigers will feature an offensive line that might need a few games to build some cohesion and continuity.

CLEMSON’S DEFENSE WILL BE GOOD, BUT WON’T BE AS SALTY AS USUAL​

Don’t get us wrong, Clemson is still going to have a Top 25 caliber defense in 2020. Will it have a top ten unit that is full of first and second round NFL Draft picks? We will see about that. From a dynamic game-changing talent standpoint, Clemson is going to miss the do-it-all ability of Isaiah Simmons now that he is in the NFL.

Clemson returns their entire defensive line from 2019, but they weren’t exactly the most dynamic group last year. Simmons provided the most effective pass rush with his timely blitzes. Overall, it might not matter if Clemson’s defense is elite or not. The Tigers will have an elite offense that will score plenty of points, which constantly puts the other team in a position to take chances and risks when they have the ball, which means Clemson’s defense will have plenty of opportunities to take advantage of opponents that play behind the chains.

We don’t think the 2020 Clemson defense will flat out suffocate good offenses, but it will be just good enough to give the ball back to their offense when it matters.

TO BEAT CLEMSON, IT TAKES A SPECIAL PERFORMANCE FROM A QUARTERBACK​

Since 2015, Clemson has lost only five games. In order to beat Clemson, it takes a borderline NFL quarterback to have a strong performance against the Tigers.

Here are the quarterbacks that beat Clemson and the stat lines of those players in those games:

- 2019 LSU’s Joe Burrow: 31-of-49 for 463 yards and five touchdowns. Also 58 yards rushing and one touchdown.

- 2017 Alabama’s Jalen Hurts: 16-of-24 for 120 yards and two touchdowns. Also 40 yards rushing.

- 2017 Syracuse’s Eric Dungey: 20-of-32 for 278 yards and three touchdowns. Also 61 rushing yards.

- 2016 Pittsburgh’s Nate Peterman: 22-of-37 for 308 yards and five touchdowns.

- 2015 Alabama’s Jake Coker: 16-of-25 for 335 yards and two touchdowns.

Not all of the quarterbacks listed above went on to be selected in the NFL Draft, but the list above is full of players that were at least good college quarterbacks. So here’s the average passing stat line of the quarterbacks above when they beat Clemson: 300 passing yards, three touchdowns, and completing 63 percent of the pass attempts.

A notable stat from the above quarterbacks is that none of them threw an interception in the win over Clemson.

Being productive while protecting the football isn’t an easy task for any quarterback, but that is what it takes to beat a team like Clemson.
Jesus de christo... Those morons on that site really do pay for that ****ery? Well let's see how that logic works. Our oline has experience now. That great unit we had last few years is lined up with experience. So clearly we'll be a better line then there's. Okie doke good talk

Advertisement
Could you break down our OL vs their DL? Controlling the line on both sides would give us the best chance to win. King just needs to be able to get the ball in the hands of his WR and let them go make plays.
We're not gonna control both sides of the line so let that go. Both teams dl are strengths. The difference is they have elite tackle play coming in and we're suspect at tackle on both sides of the ball. Kings legs will be the key factor on o for us. We're gonna have to move the pocket **** near all game and use variety in that aspect as well. Far as they go it'll come down to how much has our dt play developed. If we get some good push up the middle our ends and safety will eat. If we don't they'll shove Etienne down our throats all day running between the gaurds/tackles. layman's terms they'll force us to play the run by decreasing our gaps and backer spacing. They're response will be 4 & 5 wide. Long day if we can't atleast somewhat contain the run.

I think I heard the same thing about the gaytes ol last year also and we only got 1 sack and franks sorry *** threw for over 250 yards.
The goal against Florida was to contain the run and try to make Franks beat you with his arm. It worked well outside of a broken coverage on a 50 something yard catch and run. If the defense does to Clemson what they did to Florida; Miami should win big

The goal against Florida was to contain the run and try to make Franks beat you with his arm. It worked well outside of a broken coverage on a 50 something yard catch and run. If the defense does to Clemson what they did to Florida; Miami should win big
I'd love to see it. Problem is Perine and Franks are nowhere near Etienne and Lawrence. imo King is gonna have to put himself at the front of the heisman conversation beating them by scoring a lot of points for us to go there and take that W.

My thing is this you can never underestimate a team that has won over and over and over again. Its in their DNA TO BE GREAT. So when we say no experience on the line or not a great def this year I'm confused. Teams don't be great for no reason esp when they have the same coaching staff for yrs. LAST YR THEY CHANGED THE WHOLE DEF scheme bc they were missing pieces. Now you got the number one player in the country and he's on the def line plus another 5star def player on the line to go with him. The rich keep getting richer I TELL YOU. I do think that in-order for us to beat Clemson we def have to bring our A GAME AND NO MISTAKES I mean non. Everything has to be right and if we cant beat Clemson we def on the right track when it comes to recruiting.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I'd love to see it. Problem is Perine and Franks are nowhere near Etienne and Lawrence. imo King is gonna have to put himself at the front of the heisman conversation beating them by scoring a lot of points for us to go there and take that W.
You don’t defend Lawrence the same way you defend Franks. The reason Miami only sacked him once was because they purposely played to contain his running ability instead of rushing the passer like you would do against a guy less reliant on his legs. It’s going to be incredibly hard to both rush Lawrence while still containing Etienne but there’s a reason why Clemson is one of the nation’s best teams

Realistically speaking I don’t see us beating Clemson, I just don’t want us to lay an egg. I want to see our team go out there and put up a good fight and make it as tough as possible. With that being said, are Clemson unbeatable? Absolutely not.. they almost lost to UNC this past year. If King and Lashlee are clicking on offense how we expect, I don’t see why we can’t come out of Death Valley with a W ..
So you want us to go out and lose but don't get smashed. Just keeping it respectable will be good enough for you.
That thought is a real freaking head-scratcher. I sure as **** hope our players but think like you.
Wow!

So you want us to go out and lose but don't get smashed. Just keeping it respectable will be good enough for you.
That thought is a real freaking head-scratcher. I sure as **** hope our players but think like you.
Wow!
Do you know how to read? No disrespect just genuinely asking

Do you know how to read? No disrespect just genuinely asking
Of course, just responding to the constant negativity. Yes, there is some positive in there but your opening lines fits your narrative. That's my read. You wrote it. Own it.

Advertisement
Inexperienced O line.....someone's gonna eat....
While we hope for improvement on an O-line that's languised at below average for two seasons, they at least are returning an OT, Jackson Carman who is likely NFL bound end of the season - recruited as the #2 Lineman in America. Named Co-Offensive player of the week when they put up 552 yds vs FSU.

Just a hunch; I'm guessing they recruited OL at much higher skill levels than the Canes have the last few years (Come play for a NC). Those boys have been grooming in record breaking scoring offenses the last two years, and will now be "next up" (as we used to say), taking the field. And oh yeah, that RB makes a bit of a difference too.

Last edited:
As much as I'd love to see us go into Death Valley and embarrass them, its gonna take more than a down year from their o-line. They have one home loss since October 12, 2013. It was a 1 point loss against Pitt in 2016, on a 48 yard FG, as time expired. We're gonna need a bigger boat.

The question isn't whether we can beat them, it's whether we can beat them twice, because unless ND can clean their plate, we'll be facing Clemson twice.
We don't really need to beat them twice. If ND beats Clemson and we beat Clemson, then it's a ND vs Miami ACC Championship game. If Clemson handles their business, then we just need to beat them in the title game assuming we take care of business against everyone else.

It's really hard to best a good team twice. Especially one as good as theirs is.

Not the best approach to take considering Trevor Lawrence is the #1pick in the draft & will pick us apart if we focus on the run by stacking the box and run blitzing like we did against ufag. And if we play Tampa 2 which we will than we'll get a quick reminder of the fact Etienne is elite too. Manny is gonna have his hands full this game(2 games in all likelihood) because you gotta stay far away from running base on them. We gotta keep them on their toes with calls. Better not rely solely on the blitz either.

Advertisement
Not the best approach to take considering Trevor Lawrence is the #1pick in the draft & will pick us apart if we focus on the run by stacking the box and run blitzing like we did against ufag. And if we play Tampa 2 which we will than we'll get a quick reminder of the fact Etienne is elite too. Manny is gonna have his hands full this game(2 games in all likelihood) because you gotta stay far away from running base on them. We gotta keep them on their toes with calls. Better not rely solely on the blitz either.
Manny better have his foot up Baker's *** that whole game.

Which is exactly why in my next post, I said you dont' defend Lawrence the same way you defend Franks.

Advertisement
Baker will be doing nothing but running gaytor aid to the Huddle's those games. For the most part Manny's been in charge since mid season last year. Baker's just a scapegoat. There's a riddle for you. What do you get when you combine 2 DC & an ego maniac?
tommy-lee-jones-batman-forever.jpg

Baker will be doing nothing but running gaytor aid to the Huddle's those games. For the most part Manny's been in charge since mid season last year. Baker's just a scapegoat. There's a riddle for you. What do you get when you combine 2 DC & an ego maniac?

So Baker is getting the Thomas Brown treatment?

Also who's the egomaniac in this scenario? :unsure:

How would you defend them? We’re gonna have to score points too.

Advertisement
Back