Interesting note about the D vs. FSU.

As bad as it looked for our D, we did better against them than Clemson did, and they were at home. I don't know anything about Clemson's roster, but I wouldn't be surprised if they have a lot more talent and experience on D than we do. F$U is on a roll, and we got pounded on both sides of the ball. The defense couldn't get off the field, and the offense couldn't stay on the field. We're a top 25 team, but we need to get better to compete with the top teams. That's no secret, but I trust the process AG is implementing. I see a huge difference in attitude, fight, conditioning, strength. As the roster continues to turn over, I believe we'll see better execution as the talent and depth improves and we have some continuity for a freaking change. Time will tell, but I'm all in on AG. He gets it.

Advertisement
We forced them into underneath throws yet still gave up 11 plays over 15 yards. That's too much. We didn't really give up any bombs, but we needed make them work harder to move down the field. And of course the third down d was awful.

We did make them work harder to move the ball. Their 2 shortest drives were 3:39, and 2:35. Everything else ranged from 4 mins to 7 mins. Yes we did need to get them off the field on 3rd downs.

Harder than normal for them? Maybe. But we needed to make them work harder than they did. 11 plays over 15 yards. They were picking up too many chunks of yardage. We didn't have enough negative plays or stops. Too many easy throws into holes in the zone. Perhaps all this would have been ok if we held them to fgs when they got down inside the 20, but we didn't. They scored tds every time down there until the game was already over.

We forced them into underneath throws yet still gave up 11 plays over 15 yards. That's too much. We didn't really give up any bombs, but we needed make them work harder to move down the field. And of course the third down d was awful.

We did make them work harder to move the ball. Their 2 shortest drives were 3:39, and 2:35. Everything else ranged from 4 mins to 7 mins. Yes we did need to get them off the field on 3rd downs.

We need to also make the plays when given the chance. AQM must make these tackles in the backfield. He can't over pursue and miss the sack. At the very least wrap him up and slow him down.

It is a lot easier to wrap up a QB like Winston coming from the edge. Than it is coming straight at him. Dude is a pitcher, pretty sure you need to have quick lateral movement when line drives come straight at you. Pretty sure he makes those sacks on every other QB on our schedule.

Advertisement

Harder than normal for them? Maybe. But we needed to make them work harder than they did. 11 plays over 15 yards. They were picking up too many chunks of yardage. We didn't have enough negative plays or stops. Too many easy throws into holes in the zone. Perhaps all this would have been ok if we held them to fgs when they got down inside the 20, but we didn't. They scored tds every time down there until the game was already over.

It was pick your poison pretty much. Either allow the underneath, long drawn out drives, hope for a turnover. Or, take the chance for a quick score over the top. Being our offense was doing nothing at all. The game, could have gotten way uglier. Than what it did that night. Could have been 11 plays over 30 yards, and 60 plus points.

He threw two picks:

This first I'll credit to a good scheme. Rayshawn showed cover-2 with Deon, but last minute he rolled down into man. Then Deon rolled over to the deep middle late and Winston never saw him and threw the ball right into his arms.

The second pick was just a bad throw by Winston. He had an open window to O'Leary in the middle between our two LBs, but just made a bad pass.

Other than that, he completed everything he wanted for the most part.

The pass to O'leary wasn't open. If he leads O'leary Denzel gets a pick or bats it down (go watch replay).

In fact I think Winston threw it behind a bit because he saw DP at last minute.

I don't think Vegas spreads are some kind of definitive measure of team strength, but there's a reason we were 22-point underdogs.

We're just not there yet.

Spin that game any way you want, but the defense stunk, and so did the offense, and our kicker's a choking little puke. It doesn't have to be an "either or" deal to suit whatever agenda the posters happen to be pushing. We stunk all the way around (aside from Hitman Hurns) and got our asses kicked by a better team with a great once-in-a-blue-moon type QB, who reminds me of what Magic Johnson did for Michigan State and the Lakers.

Advertisement

We didn't do better because we're not good enough. It's simple. Their offense is way better than our defense. Look who is playing for their offense and compare it to who is playing for our defense. It's pretty easy. That's like lining up two rows of chicks. One row is composed of 11 Victoria's Secret models, and the other is 11 meth heads with sores on their faces and AIDS juice dripping out their weeny holes. Which row you fcking?

As bad as it looked for our D, we did better against them than Clemson did, and they were at home. I don't know anything about Clemson's roster, but I wouldn't be surprised if they have a lot more talent and experience on D than we do. F$U is on a roll, and we got pounded on both sides of the ball. The defense couldn't get off the field, and the offense couldn't stay on the field. We're a top 25 team, but we need to get better to compete with the top teams. That's no secret, but I trust the process AG is implementing. I see a huge difference in attitude, fight, conditioning, strength. As the roster continues to turn over, I believe we'll see better execution as the talent and depth improves and we have some continuity for a freaking change. Time will tell, but I'm all in on AG. He gets it.

I agree and see those as well. my only problem (and it could be a back breaker) is the defense. i know it has been discussed ad nauseam on here but i believe that the defense sucks. call it scheme, philosophy whatever. **** is AWFUL to watch

I was fooled a bit in the early part of the year but we are seeing the same old **** happening over and over again. cant get off the field on 3rd and long. EVER. **** is like a joke

average to poor QBs look like hall of famers against us.

I think AG needs to turn over the Defense to a real coordinator and stay in a CEO/recruiter role, which he seems to excel at

I agree and see those as well. my only problem (and it could be a back breaker) is the defense. i know it has been discussed ad nauseam on here but i believe that the defense sucks. call it scheme, philosophy whatever. **** is AWFUL to watch

I was fooled a bit in the early part of the year but we are seeing the same old **** happening over and over again. cant get off the field on 3rd and long. EVER. **** is like a joke

I think AG needs to turn over the Defense to a real coordinator and stay in a CEO/recruiter role, which he seems to excel at

The defense was abysmal last year, but we won some games and would've gone to the ACCCG. It's average-to-bad this year, and, again, we have a very legit shot at the ACCCG. That's improvement nonetheless, and the stats (and our record) bear that out. Changing the DC (which will never happen unless he gets a HC gig somewhere) will do nothing but be another setback. See my last sentence after the one you bolded. Continuity is a huge factor in VT's success on D. We need that continuity to continue to improve. You may not like what you see now, but Coach D (who I believe IS a real coordinator...what he did last year and is doing this year, with our roster, is remarkable) is going nowhere, and he's running the defense AG wants run. Either you believe in AG or you don't. Either get on board, or GTF out of the way.

Advertisement

The defense was abysmal last year, but we won some games and would've gone to the ACCCG. It's average-to-bad this year, and, again, we have a very legit shot at the ACCCG. That's improvement nonetheless, and the stats (and our record) bear that out. Changing the DC (which will never happen unless he gets a HC gig somewhere) will do nothing but be another setback. See my last sentence after the one you bolded. Continuity is a huge factor in VT's success on D. We need that continuity to continue to improve. You may not like what you see now, but Coach D (who I believe IS a real coordinator...what he did last year and is doing this year, with our roster, is remarkable) is going nowhere, and he's running the defense AG wants run. Either you believe in AG or you don't. Either get on board, or GTF out of the way.

Shouldn't AG have to earn our trust first?

Shouldn't AG have to earn our trust first?

If he hasn't already, he never will.

They beat us. NOW lets beat VT and win the rest of our games to get another shot at them. At half time we were in it and they were rattled. Maybe this time we can string them along a little longer and get some offense going. Who knows. For now, lets beat VT please.

Advertisement
Spin that game any way you want, but the defense stunk, and so did the offense, and our kicker's a choking little puke. It doesn't have to be an "either or" deal to suit whatever agenda the posters happen to be pushing. We stunk all the way around (aside from Hitman Hurns) and got our asses kicked by a better team with a great once-in-a-blue-moon type QB, who reminds me of what Magic Johnson did for Michigan State and the Lakers.

Agreed. Everyone is to blame. EVERYONE.

I'm sorry but the passive BS defense is nauseating. I dont believe that it will be dominant. I understand the roster limitations on defense at this point, but I'm not sure that Coach D is doing a good job tbh.

I mean, we were flat out horrible last year. horrible. this year we are very meh. can stop a traditional running game but thats about it.

If a QB can throw or run well, we are ****ed

He threw two picks:

This first I'll credit to a good scheme. Rayshawn showed cover-2 with Deon, but last minute he rolled down into man. Then Deon rolled over to the deep middle late and Winston never saw him and threw the ball right into his arms.

The second pick was just a bad throw by Winston. He had an open window to O'Leary in the middle between our two LBs, but just made a bad pass.

Other than that, he completed everything he wanted for the most part.

The pass to O'leary wasn't open. If he leads O'leary Denzel gets a pick or bats it down (go watch replay).

In fact I think Winston threw it behind a bit because he saw DP at last minute.

Agree.

I was just going to mention this. O'Leary was not open. Winston might've even been trying to throw the ball away by sailing it on purpose.

this D has shown zero improvement vs top teams . We are ranked so high because of the sorry teams played,

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back