Interesting note about the D vs. FSU.

Biscuits

coldwater
We held Prepare Your Jameis to a over yard per attempt less than he averaged in all other games and just one TD.

Miami is the only team to have intercepted him more than once.

I know it wasn't a shining performance. But those surprised me.

Advertisement
Yards Per Attempt probably had to do with the fact that they didn't stretch us deep. They took everything they wanted underneath.

We held Prepare Your Jameis to a over yard per attempt less than he averaged in all other games and just one TD.

Miami is the only team to have intercepted him more than once.

I know it wasn't a shining performance. But those surprised me.

I guess it's something to hang your hat on. It's kind of like saying "we held them to 45 points!"

Advertisement
He threw two picks:

This first I'll credit to a good scheme. Rayshawn showed cover-2 with Deon, but last minute he rolled down into man. Then Deon rolled over to the deep middle late and Winston never saw him and threw the ball right into his arms.

The second pick was just a bad throw by Winston. He had an open window to O'Leary in the middle between our two LBs, but just made a bad pass.

Other than that, he completed everything he wanted for the most part.

I believe we will out, but to even gloss over the failures of our defense is intellectually dishonest

Here is the drive chart of FSU, two interception and taking it easy on us are the only stops
One punt, that's all

START QTR POSS. YARD PLAYS YARDS RESULT
15:00 1 05:44 FSU 28 13 72 Rushing Touchdown
05:11 1 00:50 FSU 27 3 2 Interception
02:43 1 07:01 FSU 21 11 79 Rushing Touchdown
07:43 2 02:35 FSU 20 5 80 Passing Touchdown
03:12 2 01:07 FSU 37 2 1 Interception
00:22 2 00:22 FSU 25 1 -1 End of Half
13:15 3 04:42 FSU 17 10 83 Rushing Touchdown
08:19 3 04:38 FSU 21 9 79 Rushing Touchdown
01:22 3 01:36 FSU 25 3 3 Punt
13:11 4 06:19 FSU 31 12 61 Field Goal Good
04:42 4 03:39 FSU 44 6 33 Field Goal Good

Against other teams, he basically completed everything he wanted, period. So we did better than any other team against him. Forcing him to take the underneath stuff was part of that. Very difficult for the D to get any credit at all around here.

I think the game would have been a lot different without our O coming out flat in the 3rd quarter.

Advertisement

Against other teams, he basically completed everything he wanted, period. So we did better than any other team against him. Forcing him to take the underneath stuff was part of that. Very difficult for the D to get any credit at all around here.

I think the game would have been a lot different without our O coming out flat in the 3rd quarter.

It would have. Doesn't make our defense any better though.

We forced them into underneath throws yet still gave up 11 plays over 15 yards. That's too much. We didn't really give up any bombs, but we needed make them work harder to move down the field. And of course the third down d was awful.

The defensive game plan was to bank on Winston eventually making mistakes and us forcing turnovers, which we did, and if we don't then they'd have to earn every point they got. No cheap scores.
Kudos to Winston for being patient and taking what the defense gave him and making "KEY PLAYS" like the 3rd down scramble for a 1st down. Yes the defense missed a couple of sacks but that's on the players, not the coaches.
You can't defend a playmaker make like Winston. You can only hope to contain him. Ask Bama about Manziel.

So the issue was not so much the defense. FSU was going to score regardless. The problem was the offense couldn't keep up at the end. Some plays were missed that would have changed the complexion of the game.
We needed a near perfect game from Morris and the offense to keep it close. We got that in the 1st half, not the second.
Morris hits a few throws and doesn't throw unforced INT's and the game comes down to the end.
Lot of pressure put on Morris to have a perfect game. Can't really expect him to have one, but when a team is outclassed like we were that's the only chance we have.
Maybe in a rematch he has the perfect game.

Last edited:

It would have. Doesn't make our defense any better though.

But they might have been good enough. That's the only point I'm making. Two picks that led to scores might have been enough.

Advertisement
Yards Per Attempt probably had to do with the fact that they didn't stretch us deep. They took everything they wanted underneath.

And a blowout ensued. How surprising.

How many points did Miami's offense put up? Everyone knew Miami would be in a shootout. The defense kept Miami in the game. The offense didn't help out at all. Everyone knew Miami would have to score on the opening drive of the second half or the game would become a blowout. How'd that work out? Then Morris pulled his best Jacory Harris impersonation and lobbed an INT to FSU. How'd that work out?

Love the coach D bashers back out in full force when the defense has been the bright spot all year.

Should we cancel the Fire Coach D banner planned for Saturday? Perhaps we could just change the context?

I blame the offense - Coach D

Look, the defense was plainly not good enough. Who said otherwise?

But you benchmark your performance against that of others. Feel free to ignore those facts. I just found them interesting in light of what was otherwise a completely disappointing evening. Obviously, we're nowhere near good enough on either side of the ball.

But there's talent on this team, and there are reasons to believe they can win out. Mainly, there isn't another intimidating team on the schedule, and this coaching staff has seemed to develop a mentality within this team over the past two seasons that does not panic in close games, which at worst we should be in for the duration of the season.

But I suppose my thinking regarding those numbers in OP are that we're the only team that's done that so far this year. With serious limitations at every position. Maybe that means there's some hope down the road. I hope so. Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things.

Advertisement
We forced them into underneath throws yet still gave up 11 plays over 15 yards. That's too much. We didn't really give up any bombs, but we needed make them work harder to move down the field. And of course the third down d was awful.

We did make them work harder to move the ball. Their 2 shortest drives were 3:39, and 2:35. Everything else ranged from 4 mins to 7 mins. Yes we did need to get them off the field on 3rd downs.

We did make them work harder to move the ball. Their 2 shortest drives were 3:39, and 2:35. Everything else ranged from 4 mins to 7 mins. Yes we did need to get them off the field on 3rd downs.

We need to also make the plays when given the chance. AQM must make these tackles in the backfield. He can't over pursue and miss the sack. At the very least wrap him up and slow him down.

Advertisement
Back