Interesting breakdown of Gattis's redzone calls.

Alright boys and they's....looks like we have officially blamed everyone in the building and rightfully so. Plenty of blame to go around but for me this was the biggest schematic mistake of the night. 3rd and goal from the 6 and we ran the ball into an unblocked defender. In a check with me system, this is inexcusable. Gattis can see this from the box and got the math wrong here. If we bring an additional blocker/puller or run the qb (not advised with TVD's lack of burst) we walk in.

That we can clearly blame the playcaller for.

1663868110409.png

1663868172035.png

Advertisement
what's even more shocking is that it came from a guy who worked under Mario and followed Mario lol. like you said, this is a prove it year in many ways for the offense regardless of the holes.
B Mac is definitely a piece of **** human who follows his wife around like a Chihuahua. Guy has no ******* balls.

There's implementing new stuff and then there's making substantial changes. The post you disagreed with was talking about substantial changes. Making substantial changes are like changing the mechanics of your swing in the middle of the golf course. Chances are your game will fall apart rather than improve.

If they make substantial changes, it tells me they're coaching for next year.

I agree which is why I don't believe it will be substantial changes. Coaches won't do that unless there has been a colossal failure on offense, which hasn't happened.

You’re correct on Tamu playing quarter’s match coverage. Saturday was combination of bad passing concepts, spacing, timing, and route running. Teams will mix it in now but we’re likely to see stack box press man or cover 3. IMO we probably won’t see a major change schematically til after the bye.

I don’t see them stacking the box. I pray that they do, but any coach that does is dumb.

When aTm tried to creep up, Keyshawn beat his man but he and TVD were not in sync. They backed their guys up real quick after that.

Even going back to D’eriq, the teams that play tight are the ones we torch. The teams we struggle with keep everything in front of them and let us beat ourselves.

Alright boys and they's....looks like we have officially blamed everyone in the building and rightfully so. Plenty of blame to go around but for me this was the biggest schematic mistake of the night. 3rd and goal from the 6 and we ran the ball into an unblocked defender. In a check with me system, this is inexcusable. Gattis can see this from the box and got the math wrong here. If we bring an additional blocker/puller or run the qb (not advised with TVD's lack of burst) we walk in.

View attachment 209089
View attachment 209090
At the time I was fine with the play call cause I assumed we ran it cause we intended to go for it on fourth considering we were getting push. I felt it would have been a great move to do so

Advertisement
why are you so down on TVD? It comes thru in every post. He's certainly had struggles but he isn't the only one.
hes salty that TVD called him a fake fan. nah, idk people got this thing against TVD now when the entire passing offense looks like *** (everyone involved (Ponce, QBs, WRs, etc.) has failed so far so please guys stop white knighting tan enos right now bc hes failed at his job too). its funny bc we hate on other fan bases for lashing out at their players and here we are ready to curse the entire roster out three weeks in.

You deducted that from one game. Amazing!!!

You should go re-watch the game. We moved the ball 80+ yards in 4 redzone trips. 2 trips ended in field goals because of penalties and a 3rd was a PBU and blocked pass at the line of scrimmage. But, I guess those failures are on Gattis.
you should watch the routes we ran in some of those red zone trips too though. its all of them not just tan enos, the WRs, or TVD. its a symptom of all three not performing.

again, its not all on the OC and its not all on the WRs and not all on TVD. its a combo of the three. the fact is, the school doesn't pay gattis to make excuses. we can blame the players till were blu in the face and eventually the players will be gone, but the coaches will have to produce. if there are no improvements, its on the coaches. well see what happens against UNC bc they still have time to get it together.

finally, we also pay gattis a lot of money to not kick 6 or settle for 6 every time beyond the excuses out there. at the end of the day, thats ***** talk and gets you fired. your boss wouldn't be happy w you not producing the end result and you blaming it on everyone else would he/she? same situation. eventually, we gotta produce 6. plays were there, time to show up now for ACC play.

Last edited:
I agree which is why I don't believe it will be substantial changes. Coaches won't do that unless there has been a colossal failure on offense, which hasn't happened.
you struggle to put up points on UNC, ill fly the banner plane myself. sorry not sorry. that D is ***. well know what this team and O staff in terms of expectations for this current season in that game.

Advertisement
Yall expect coaches to throw out the playbook after 3 games? Be serious man. We made 4 trips into the red zone and got like 6 points. Muffed a punt in our area leading to their first TD and 2 missed FGs. Outgained them by over 100 yards away from home. Im not defending anything or anyone. But our players have to step up, the WR and TVD need to step up and execute the plays. Even if you think Gattis called bad plays, he called enough good ones to win the game with proper execution. Blaming this on Gattis alone and think he should bring Lashlee playbook back is not realistic. He needs to make adjustments but the players have to execute and make plays when they are there.

No need to throw it away or overhaul it. Just add in some of the best stuff to ease the transition.

Some simple concepts that let TVD read half the field and make a quick throw or chech down.

I think TVD is a rhythm guy. Get him going early and he will be better executing Gattis’ plays.

you should watch the routes we ran in some of those red zone trips too though. its all of them not just tan enos, the WRs, or TVD. its a symptom of all three not performing.

again, its not all on the OC and its not all on the WRs and not all on TVD. its a combo of the three. the fact is, the school doesn't pay gattis to make excuses. we can blame the players till were blu in the face and eventually the players will be gone, but the coaches will have to produce. if there are no improvements, its on the coaches. well see what happens against UNC bc they still have time to get it together.

finally, we also pay gattis a lot of money to not kick 6 or settle for 6 every time beyond the excuses out there. at the end of the day, thats ***** talk and gets you fired. your boss wouldn't be happy w you not producing the end result and you blaming it on everyone else would he/she? same situation. eventually, we gotta produce 6. plays were there, time to show up now for ACC play.
I agree, but I don't think so much of the blame falls on Gattis.

It wasn't just one guy. TVD missed some open WRs. He also didn't step into some throws that wound up completions, but could have been TDs with better throws.

So, the WR's QB, and coaches all had a part, but after watching the video analysis, I'd say it was mostly on the players. There were 3-4 plays that could have been TDs if things were a little cleaner. So, I'm not going to blame Gattis except for the 3rd redzone trip. The first 2 redzone trips died from penalties. You can't blame the coach for that.

The offense just needs to keep improving. I think Gattis and Mario have to take some blame for not showing the passing offense early. Yes, you don't give anything to AtM on film, but you also don't give your guys game reps where they can get their timing and confidence down.

I hope we feature more passing especially deep balls this week. The game speed is different from practice. They need the work.

Last edited:
I agree. It wasn't just one guy. TVD missed some open WRs. He also didn't step into some throws that wound up completions, but could have been TDs with better throws.

So, the WR's QB, and coaches all had a part, but after watching the video analysis, I'd say it was mostly on the players. There were 3-4 plays that could have been TDs if things were a little cleaner.

The offense just needs to keep improving. I think Gattis and Mario have to take some blame for not showing the offense early. Yes, you don't give anything to AtM on film, but you also don't give your guys game reps where they can get their timing and confidence down.

I hope we feature more passing especially deep balls this week. The game speed is different from practice. They need the work.
this tells me they have no real creativity as play callers. Ive said it before - going conservative even w TVD struggling against southern miss was a mistake. you needed every rep if you insist on running this offense.

id say its on the teachers and players. gattis is responsible for getting his WRs ready after 8 months of camp to perform at least the basics.

either way, nothing is changing today. well see what happens on 10.8.

Advertisement

View attachment 209089
View attachment 209090
I’ve rewatched this game a few times. I didn’t like the game and the calls.

There was no doubt that player mistakes were a huge factor.

But here is with this:

They (players and staff) had all summer to work on routes and plays and 2 games before this one.

I want RPO mixed in more and better Red Zone calls but can they really do that now with two weeks of install before UNC?

The common sense stuff is what bothers me. Toss a ball up to a tall receiver in the Endzone. Nothing.

Install some RPO concepts to help our passing game. Nothing.

The safeties were crashing so hard with run blitz 3rd and short on a few plays. RPO that and throw the ball.

So many concerns despite me misjudging that some of the calls where better than I thought they were initially.

this tells me they have no real creativity as play callers. Ive said it before - going conservative even w TVD struggling against southern miss was a mistake. you needed every rep if you insist on running this offense.

id say its on the teachers and players. gattis is responsible for getting his WRs ready after 8 months of camp to perform at least the basics.

either way, nothing is changing today. well see what happens on 10.8.
I think we're being a little too critical. We're spoiled from last year. A few better plays from the WRs and TVD and we would have scored at least 2 passing TDs with 4 overall in the game and 300+ in passing. I saw the film breakdown. The plays were there to be made.

They need more game work. They need live bullets. Hopefully, we get that this week.

I think we're being a little too critical. We're spoiled from last year. A few better plays from the WRs and TVD and we would have scored at least 2 passing TDs with 4 overall in the game and 300+ in passing. I saw the film breakdown. The plays were there to be made.

They need more game work. They need live bullets. Hopefully, we get that this week.
true well see the mentality. they need to **** the score or the spread and just go 100 pass plays (obv Im being hyperbolic) but you get the point. we need to create some chemistry between the players and the coaching staff on that side. the OL looks cohesive. the D looks great. the RBs look great thanks to a great OL. the passing offense looks horrific

Advertisement
Is there a back story on this guy and Gattis? This whole video seemed personal lol

Did you need this video to tell you WRs couldn't get open? Some of the route combinations and concepts we're putting on film also aren't the way they're designed.. big problem is guys not running it the way it's supposed to be. It's complicated to learn. I don't want to give Gattis an out on that reason because it's his room, his offense, and he's coaching it and installing it.

Only watched a few minutes of it but just like running the post instead of keeping it narrow up the field based on the coverage - I guarantee you it was designed to go up-field and not break off into the post in that situation.

The WRs don't understand the coverages and how to read and run their routes based on what they're seeing. That's why pro-style isn't a good fit. They're running the routes too slow, too fast, wrong, and then not catching it when it comes because they're thinking and they're all thrown off already. Just like the last drop of the game.. he ran the route 2 yards too deep and the ball was already on him and he was late to look up and it hits you in the face mask.

Lashlee was overly simple (to the point it probably ruined the WRs already on the roster) and easier to defend by good teams. Gattis is overly complicated and hard to learn in 8-9 months. We need to find some middle ground. Something that meets in the middle of complexity and tempo

Yes, this is the offense Mario wanted. Power run with pro passing concepts. Until guys are in the system for 2-3 years and we overhaul the talent on the roster it'll look stagnant at times. Or he'll have to change his philosophy and accept something slightly less complex.
Brother you hit it right on the button! This is the truth but unfortunately it's also pretty depressing. I just don't understand why Mario would tie himself down to this knowing full well that the offense will stagnate until the rooster is turned over. Why is it so hard for us to install a productive and explosive offense? There are so many other teams that do more with much less and we're here trying to go back to pro style bro.

Don't get me wrong. I love the OL the running game and the physicality but why does it have to be married to a 1996 style passing offense? This offensive staff could learn a lot from Ryan Day.

Brother you hit it right on the button! This is the truth but unfortunately it's also pretty depressing. I just don't understand why Mario would tie himself down to this knowing full well that the offense will stagnate until the rooster is turned over. Why is it so hard for us to install a productive and explosive offense? There are so many other teams that do more with much less and we're here trying to go back to pro style bro.

Don't get me wrong. I love the OL the running game and the physicality but why does it have to be married to a 1996 style passing offense? This offensive staff could learn a lot from Ryan Day.
Because Mario is ultra conservative himself.

some of you slurpers are gonna neg me, but I’m really starting to wonder if we got sold a bill of goods with Gattis, and the success of Mich in 2021 is from Matt Weiss and less from Gattis.

My Mich buddy that is very well connected told me that Gattis wasn’t 100% calling plays last year. In reading this Rivals article it seems there was some truth to that

E8E8976B-B54C-4E6C-A41D-9E7F75891FE9.png

Advertisement
Back