Initial thoughts

Besides our current recruits, camp seems like a Dud
Had Michael Irvin, Devin Hester, Willis McGahee, Najeh Davenport, Calais Campbell, Vince Wilfork, Jeremy Shockey, Antrel Rolle, Kenny Phillips, Jon Beason, DJ Williams, Bryant McKinnie & Brett Romberg as the Coaches, and oh yeah.. The greatest Safety in NFL history Ed Reed as the guest speaker.

Lorenzo Lingard, Al Blades Jr, Josh Jobe, DJ Ivey, Gurvan Hall, Mark Pope, Delone Scaife, Cleveland Reed, Nesta Silvera, Will Mallory, Daquris Wiggins & John Campbell all attended.

Plus, great 2019 QB's like Zamar Wise & Taisun Phommachanh showed up & performed well.

There were several other high profile 2019 prospects like Jashawn Sheffield, Michael Tarquin, Jessiah Pierre etc., were there as well.

We also got a commit from a 2019 4-star OT in Brandon Cunningham, who has great upside & is a big strong athletic kid.

The difference is, last year more people knew about the 2018 class, so they were more excited about who showed up.
This year, most on here don't really know too many 2019 kids, so it doesn't appear to be as impressive.

Also, this year the staff was a lot more stringent with the invites, they didn't just let any prospect show up, so it was a smaller amount of players this year.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but to say this year's Paradise was a "dud" to me is simply choosing to look at it negatively.

I think it was a **** of an event & it will continue to be a great tradition for Miami, the likes of which we haven't had before.

This continues, and UM starts being in the National Championship playoffs, I'd imagine a lot of other programs will give their left nut to find out when UM has their Paradise Camp, so that they can select another date for their own Friday Nite Blights. They won't want the competition - especially since it's invite only - and in Miami.

Advertisement
* Richt expressed delight about a new NCAA rule, which takes affect Aug. 1, that will let former players mingle with recruits on official and unofficial visits and at games. “They love to be around these guys that are hoping to do exactly what they’ve done,” Richt said.

From matt porter article. This will help in the future I'm sure too

The difference between this year and last:

Pope
Lingawd
Jeudy
X. Williams
That OL that ended up at Bama IIRC
Hightower
Davis, etc

The big deal last year was that these kids were even on Miami's campus at all. Last year was the first time it felt like we had a pulse in forever. But I remember within a week I was back to moping it up, specifically about Lingard.

"Nothing's changed. Kid ain't coming. It was another hype bubble. Silly me."

The difference is that this year most of those kids are already committed. There can't be the same type of buzz anymore. We can't get good feels when Josh Jobe shows up because he's already committed. We can't get freaked out over Lo's positivity because he's running this ship like Grand Admiral Thrawn. We just got a OOS top 247 OT (!) for 2019 and everyone yawned. THAT'S where we are now. We had Murderer's Row of former players on campus and some of y'all who have been screaming for E20 to be on staff hit the snooze button and rolled over.

A dead man's first breath coming back to life is his most significant. After a year breathing normally he's taking it for granted like the rest of humanity. That's where we are right now: a year into breathing like normal.
Alex Leatherwood was the 5-star Bama OL & you get major props from me for the Admiral Thrawn reference lol

But I agree with everything you said, I guess it's just a matter of perspective for some of our fans, 'cause we all know if Folden were still here NONE of these kids or Alumni would even think about wasting their time coming to camp with us, especially in this capacity.

Also, less media coverage probably played a part in it as well.

Leatherwood! Yes, huge buzz around him at and after Paradise last year.

Agree on the media coverage as well. A bunch of schools had big camps this weekend, and we fit right in with them instead of being the new rich kid. Have to wonder if next year they hype the player coaches farther in advance. It'd make a difference.

Thrawn FTW

Advertisement
Besides our current recruits, camp seems like a Dud
Had Michael Irvin, Devin Hester, Willis McGahee, Najeh Davenport, Calais Campbell, Vince Wilfork, Jeremy Shockey, Antrel Rolle, Kenny Phillips, Jon Beason, DJ Williams, Bryant McKinnie & Brett Romberg as the Coaches, and oh yeah.. The greatest Safety in NFL history Ed Reed as the guest speaker.

Lorenzo Lingard, Al Blades Jr, Josh Jobe, DJ Ivey, Gurvan Hall, Mark Pope, Delone Scaife, Cleveland Reed, Nesta Silvera, Will Mallory, Daquris Wiggins & John Campbell all attended.

Plus, great 2019 QB's like Zamar Wise & Taisun Phommachanh showed up & performed well.

There were several other high profile 2019 prospects like Jashawn Sheffield, Michael Tarquin, Jessiah Pierre etc., were there as well.

We also got a commit from a 2019 4-star OT in Brandon Cunningham, who has great upside & is a big strong athletic kid.

The difference is, last year more people knew about the 2018 class, so they were more excited about who showed up.
This year, most on here don't really know too many 2019 kids, so it doesn't appear to be as impressive.

Also, this year the staff was a lot more stringent with the invites, they didn't just let any prospect show up, so it was a smaller amount of players this year.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but to say this year's Paradise was a "dud" to me is simply choosing to look at it negatively.

I think it was a **** of an event & it will continue to be a great tradition for Miami, the likes of which we haven't had before.

No doubt we are NFL U. No other school can bring in that kind of All Star alumni group. Not even close. And that's after a decade + of mediocrity.

I've been driving the Ivey bandwagon around for months looking for passengers. He's the goods.

Can any of the two **** suckers that down voted Pete on his OP please explain why?!? DF? maybe you two just love the Golden Shower...how could you down vote what he had to say?

Advertisement
With Grand Admiral Thrawn on the staff, the Empire shall rise again. Wipe them out, all of them.

This camp served its purpose.
Have our commits create even stronger bonds
Having our legends around our guys
Putting in work in both the 2019 and 2020 class

I know we probably won't get plenty of commits from the camp but when you realize how many elite kids we have committed that doesn't even matter tbh.... In years past these kids would be uncommitted however now we got so many elite committed like a pope, jobe, hall, blades, scaife, lingard, mallory and a host of others. They are already committed

We have 19 commits already with room for about 8-9 more

see us adding max of like 7 more players to this class

We are like 10 scholarship spots under 85. We have a lot of space. That's why I see us taking like 27-28 kids

Yep, 28 is the max we can take. Not sure if we do it though.

We have 76 scholarship players (could be 77 depending on if Willis' scholarship is already counted - which would just be given to a walkon), 10 of which are seniors and graduating no matter what. That means we have either 18 or 19 open spots....lets just assume 19

That would mean the most EE's we can possibly backcount is 9 or less (most likely less) just purely based on available space alone. That would mean according to the initial counter limit per class the most we could sign is actually 34. However we also can only backcount 2018 EE's until the initial counter for 2017 reaches 25. Basically unless you have all the info, its really hard to know this, and it gets complicated. More than likely I'd say 5 would be a good guess, especially since we signed over 25 in 2017. Either way, I'd bet this is still 30+, so we really don't have to worry about the initial counter limit.

However without any attrition between now and NSD, the most we could possibly sign is 19 according to the full 85 man counter, Otherwise we are officially oversigning, which is not good. That means for every recruit over 19 we sign, we have to have someone leave due to attrition. To get a class of 28 that would mean 9 guys leaving, which is a lot. I don't think it'd be crazy to lose 10 from attrition, but regardless I don't think it'd be smart to oversign too much in this class. It's best to keep as close to 25 as possible, Especially since every player we take in this class reduces the already small number we will take in 2019.

I started a thread a while back saying we could take 30+ this year, and while there's a chance that could be possible, there's a lot of info in that thread that indicates we can only carry 3 EEs back to 2017.

Advertisement
Did they offer Huggins to replace Frieson?
No, the staff has been evaluating Huggins for a few months now.

They see him as a Hybrid LB/S the same way they viewed Sherwood.

He committed to FSU just yesterday, but performed well at Camp so he got his offer.

Also who the **** gives you guys this frierson garbage. He's not being replaced or flipping.

Lets get down to da brass tacks: Did Richt do a back flip at da pool this year?

Advertisement
see us adding max of like 7 more players to this class

We are like 10 scholarship spots under 85. We have a lot of space. That's why I see us taking like 27-28 kids

Yep, 28 is the max we can take. Not sure if we do it though.

We have 76 scholarship players (could be 77 depending on if Willis' scholarship is already counted - which would just be given to a walkon), 10 of which are seniors and graduating no matter what. That means we have either 18 or 19 open spots....lets just assume 19

That would mean the most EE's we can possibly backcount is 9 or less (most likely less) just purely based on available space alone. That would mean according to the initial counter limit per class the most we could sign is actually 34. However we also can only backcount 2018 EE's until the initial counter for 2017 reaches 25. Basically unless you have all the info, its really hard to know this, and it gets complicated. More than likely I'd say 5 would be a good guess, especially since we signed over 25 in 2017. Either way, I'd bet this is still 30+, so we really don't have to worry about the initial counter limit.

However without any attrition between now and NSD, the most we could possibly sign is 19 according to the full 85 man counter, Otherwise we are officially oversigning, which is not good. That means for every recruit over 19 we sign, we have to have someone leave due to attrition. To get a class of 28 that would mean 9 guys leaving, which is a lot. I don't think it'd be crazy to lose 10 from attrition, but regardless I don't think it'd be smart to oversign too much in this class. It's best to keep as close to 25 as possible, Especially since every player we take in this class reduces the already small number we will take in 2019.

I started a thread a while back saying we could take 30+ this year, and while there's a chance that could be possible, there's a lot of info in that thread that indicates we can only carry 3 EEs back to 2017.

Yeah doing the math on the EE back counting can get complicated because it's like 95% guess work. But obviously if we can only yet 3 EEs back counted, that means only 28 no matter what.
But I was kinda saying this, just hecause the max possible could be in the 30s, doesn't change anything imo. I would be very surprised to see us sign too many more than 25.
If you really look at it, we're Gunna need to have like 5+ RS SO and below leave through attrition to even be able to take like 15 in 2019. The class is going to be super mall. And that's what happens when you continuously sign over 25 in recruiting classes. Ideally you sign 25 or less every year.

Advertisement
Back