In your opinion, if we kick FG and are down 10-9, do we win the game?

I didn’t think we were going to make that 4th and 1. I would’ve kicked the field goal and played defense. I completely understand going for it, but not making it and the air went out of the balloon.

Advertisement
The rpo we run is useless .. ball 99% of the time goes to the rb into a 8 man box

Advertisement
As inept as the offense was playing, NCSU was also inept offensively. Being down one point with plenty of time to drive just far enough for one of the best K to win the game for us. Defense was definitely keeping us in the game up to that point but the drive after the failed 4 & 1, they seemed frustrated, deflated and probably tired and the our inept offense became more inept. Thoughts?

The hand off to Fletcher was a very predictable play and NCSU loaded up the box to stop it.
Yeah, I wondered the same thing. It's just so hard to imagine that the team could not make 1 stinking yard after a TO to think about it. It's sad when a team is better off kicking a FG when at the opponent's goal line. Maybe UM wins with two late FGs. We will never know. What we do know is that with a RB who racked up 115 yards and an improved OL, the team still could not get 1 stinking yard when the game was on the line.

No. We did everything we could to lose that game and would have found the one extra thing we needed.

They had an 8 man line.
Our QB is no threat to run.
Wherever #81 was lined up was where #22 was going to run it. Everyone watching the game and the NCST coaches knew what the play was.
What's funny is I remember TVD breaking off a couple good runs earlier in the year, because people didn't expect it. Get to ACC play and the threat is removed. He's no Vick, but he can move. I was thinking that would have been a good time to give it a shot. Sometimes you have to do the unexpected.

Yes, down 1 at that point. NC State was not able to move the ball at all. You energize the defense one more time and ask them for a single stop. Then take your O line and running game down to field goal position or possibly score. Walk away with an ugly win, but a win.

Advertisement
Nah, some of these comments are coming out of hindsight.

If you can’t get one yard with this OL at the three-yard line, you don’t deserve to win. Right call. Wrong playcall.

Would have been nice to spread out a couple of receivers instead of putting 11 in the box against their 11 in box.

Advertisement
Back