In todays recruiting

depends to who, I dont think it carries more than an SEC school to a kid from the Deep South no matter how smart they are.

I never understood why Stanford didnt recruit the DMV and NY/NJ more often.
Notre Dame has gotten who wanted out of the NJ area. Mainly the catholic schools. Stanford gets a lot of kids out of SEC country. They have gotten a few Alabama kids. They offer a very select few. And miss out even less.

Advertisement
W
I agree. We should be in the same tier with USC, Michigan, Texas, UF, and Tennessee. Big time programs who have been trying to get “back” to their glory days. The problem is we don’t have the huge donors, alumni base, or public funding like these universities.
We succeeded for years with the same disadvantage. The question is, can we do it again. I think we can.

Nobody wants to hear what I think was an advantage for us during some of our glory years, namely, favorable schedules and competition. Our competition in the late '80's overall was not nearly as challenging as the teams we played in the '60's and '70's.

We played some very good teams in the late '80's and early '90's. But we played some cream puffs.

I'm not sure we had as many creampuffs in the '60's and '70's.

The 2001 team, of course, could steamroll a schedule composed of the entire rest of the top 10. They were that good.

I know this view might be unpopular, so, fire away. If I'm wrong, prove it.

We won NCs with teams composed of serial recruiting classes ranked in the 20s.

Whether we can do it again, probably not.

But we can still get pretty good if we develop our players better than a lot of teams with recruiting classes ranked higher. That's doable.

depends to who, I dont think it carries more than an SEC school to a kid from the Deep South no matter how smart they are.

I never understood why Stanford didnt recruit the DMV and NY/NJ more often.
Stanford recruited Cory Booker from New Jersey. Many don't remember that Senator Booker was a USA Today All-American.

Last edited:
Honestly, we're tier 3. We don't have the facilities, Our home stadium is 40 minutes away and has blue seats (it does hoist SB though), we've won 10 games once in 15 years. We've won one bowl game in 15 years. We've won a historically bad division once only to get destroyed by a real tier 1 program. This is our 5th coach in about 15 years. We only put out 5-6th rounders the last couple of years so player development has been poor. We have fans that get into it with your family over the internet if your not playing well (Rosier situation), followed by unrealistic fans who historically, although not as of late, don't consistently show up to games.

Advertisement
Honestly, we're tier 3. We don't have the facilities, Our home stadium is 40 minutes away and has blue seats (it does hoist SB though), we've won 10 games once in 15 years. We've won one bowl game in 15 years. We've won a historically bad division once only to get destroyed by a real tier 1 program. This is our 5th coach in about 15 years. We only put out 5-6th rounders the last couple of years so player development has been poor. We have fans that get into it with your family over the internet if your not playing well (Rosier situation), followed by unrealistic fans who historically, although not as of late, don't consistently show up to games.

And we have you.
I'm convinced. Tier 3.

Advertisement
Back