In several days I'll be in Orlando (a few thoughts on the upcoming season)...

k9cane

Senior
and like the Magnificent Don Muraco dedicating body slams to Jesse 'the Body' Ventura back in the day, this is for @Hurracanes as he wanted me to write something up on the Florida game, etc. Well, ask and you shall receive, but this will be more on the overall season..

- First, Im not going to panic too much over the opener, yes, it's a rival on national TV(where literally Miami is on the only stage in college football) but while the Canes are an underdog, I do think they have a real punchers chance in Orlando.

Yes, they are thin at several spots and that Oline youth worries me, but Florida also took some heavy losses upfront offensively. I believe this is a game where Miami has to play from ahead, and somehow get into a position in that second half where the defense can play downhill and unleash their edge rushers. Something that simply didn't happen enough last season as the offense struggled vs decent opposition. Also, I don't have SEC Derangement Syndrome, Im not off the belief that everyone in that conference is unbeatable

Im very interested to see how Enos handles Jarren Williams early, personally, I dont go conservative, first all, this Oline isnt at that level (yet) where they can just create running lanes at will vs anybody they line up against. It's imperative that Enos create comfortable, relatively easy throws on early downs to let Williams and the O be ahead of the chains. Roll-outs, waggles, screens, are things I'd like to see early on

Personally, I think after Miami gets it's first couple of first downs, things will settle in pretty well. After all, it's just football. And guess what, Miami guys are on scholarship too. As overrated as UM was last year going into Dallas to play LSU, they might be underrated coming into this season. I'll say it again, while not a complete roster, this team still has a ton of future NFL players on it.

- As for the season overview, this schedule is VERY favorable, and it has a 5 game home stand(something I can't ever recall) and the overwhelming majority of games in the state of Florida. It's made for at least 9 wins, in my view. I dont want to make any bold predictions for Diaz in season 1 of his reign but in my view his first step has to be about winning every game you are supposed to on a routine basis. Something that hasn't happened since around 2006 (yeah, it's been THAT long)

- Some thoughts on players/units:

Jeff Thomas: Really excited to see 'the Jet' in a modern offense that can consistently get him the Wilson. Last year he was on pace for well under 50 catches, which was another indictment of that offense. He's the closest thing Ive seen to Santana Moss at this program, he's a natural born playmaker and explosive. While many might disagree, Diaz bringing back Thomas was a great move and indicative that he means business. JT4 is my favorite player, here's hoping he can just take care of business this season.

Offensive line - yeah, Bryant McKinnie and Jacquin Gonzalez arent walking through that door, but unlike last years unit which had upperclassmen who had hit very limited ceilings, I'd like to think that this unit has young guys who have much more upside(Mt Zion, Scaife, Campbell) and a guy like Gaynor is a real scrapper who will bring some interior nastiness that is really needed. I do wish Venzell Boulware would have stuck around, I thought he was pretty solid. And lets see how much of an upgrade coach Barry is over Searles. But I'll live with some growing pains of this unit early on.

Gregory Rousseau - last year he was so hyped and we barely got to see him. But insiders think he's got more ability than Joe Jackson and even the Garvinator, well, if we can play with some leads late in games, Im excited to see him pin his ears back and go to work

Brevin 'Korean Air' Jordan/Will Mallory: OK, some of this is because Jordan is part Korean, but to me, he's the best pure TE talent we've seen since Greg Olsen and Mallory if used correctly, can be the queen on the chessboard, being moved around all over, utilized in different ways. The versatility of this offense will be a nightmare for just about any defense they face, as long as the Oline is serviceable

LATE EDIT/ADDITION - Jarren Williams - I absolutely believe the staff made the right choice here. Ive been told for the past year-plus that he was the QB with the best overall skillset and potential. Great arm talent, athletic and from what I can decipher early on, has a good head on his shoulders, seems very mature, like he's ready for this responsibility. Enos, who is hoping that his stint in Coral Gables will lead to bigger and better things in his career, isn't putting this gig in the hands of just anybody.

Again, I still remember Ken Dorsey struggling in Seattle vs U-Dub in 2000 in his first road start, so I'll temper my expectations. But this young man has the talent, over time, it will show, as he conducts the Enos Express.

- Go back to Dec 29th, 2018, how were you feeling as a fan of UM football? Personally, I was feeling as down as I ever had (and Id been through the rebuilding of the program by Butch, the last days of Coker, 58-0, etc) but this felt like almost being on the death penalty. As I watched the semi-final playoff games I said to my buddy as long as Richt was in charge, I wouldn't be going to anymore games for the time being.

Now, dont get me wrong, I'd still watch every game from wherever I was, eating my sandwhiches 5 bites at a time, but traveling to see that wreck? No. But the very next day, Richtirement happens, we end up with Manny Diaz, and this guy had a great off-season, salvaging recruiting, attacking the transfer portal, setting a new tone and attitude for the program

The very least I could do as a fan was to be there for the opener. I told my editors that I didn't care if Ali and Frazier came out from under the grave to fight for a fourth time, I would be in Orlando for this game.

Manny, you won the off-season, it's time for you to win some games, now.

Last edited:
Advertisement
100% K9

Good read. If you asked me as far as games we are supposed to win. I don’t believe Miami has a game on this schedule in 2019, outside of Florida, that they would be expected to lose in based off talent alone.

Beat Florida and I think we are on to 12-0.

Lose to UF I see 9-3 or 10-2 as possibilities.

Advertisement
If we win this game....the schedule sets up for a real Cinderella type run at the playoffs.

If we do lose, I just want to see a hard fought, close, competitive game. In other words, as long as the game plays out nothing like LSU, I'll be in Manny's corner. If we lose by double digit digits to THIS Gator team I'll be ejecting off the Manny plane pretty quickly.

That's the reality of college football. We have a roster that many of the teams in the top 25 wish they had, and God knows no other program in the country has done a better job of getting less wins relative to roster talent than we have for the last 2 decades.

It's time for **** to return to the mean. Make me a believer, my body is ready.

Last edited:
If we win this game....the schedule sets up for a real Cinderella type run at the playoffs.

If we do lose, I just want to some a hard fought, close, competitive game. In other words, as long as the game plays out nothing like LSU, I'll be in Manny's corner. If we lose by double digit digits to THIS Gator team I'll be ejecting off the Manny plane pretty quickly.

That's the reality of college football. We have a roster that many of the teams in the top 25 wish they had, and God knows no other program in the country has done a better job of getting less wins relative to roster talent than we have for the last 2 decades.

It's time for **** to return to the mean. Make me a believer, my body is ready.
That’s quite a line in the sand you’ve drawn. Agreed we have next level talent but low level experience. I’m looking forward to watching how quickly they grow up, or not. Fish or cut Bait, **** or get off the pot. First test, BIG test. Best test. Competition is what we lean into. Manny and Enos have been pushing this culture from the get go. Boyz, it’s time to GET GO.🙌🏿

I pulled into a parking lot at Waikiki Beach years ago to surf and a huge dude is walking to the beach with a huge long board. It was the Hawaiian Prince himself Don Muraco. Dude knew how to do it too.

Advertisement
That’s quite a line in the sand you’ve drawn. Agreed we have next level talent but low level experience. I’m looking forward to watching how quickly they grow up, or not. Fish or cut Bait, **** or get off the pot. First test, BIG test. Best test. Competition is what we lean into. Manny and Enos have been pushing this culture from the get go. Boyz, it’s time to GET GO.🙌🏿

Yup, and I stand by every word of it. If we were playing a juggernaut like Clemson in the first game I'd be the first saying that even a blowout loss would be an unfair situation by which to judge Manny.

But THAT Gator team, first game, heated rivalry (which are traditionally close) CANNOT be a blowout loss. Plain and simple.

Just because we've had 4 of the $hittiest coaches in division 1 in a row that WOULD have been blown out in this spot doesn't mean that's the bar by which a University of Miami coach should be judged.

There's enough talent on this roster, at a minimum, to put up a fight. Anything less than that would be concerning to me right off the bat.

Yup, and I stand by every word of it. If we were playing a juggernaut like Clemson in the first game I'd be the first saying that even a blowout loss would be an unfair situation by which to judge Manny.

But THAT Gator team, first game, heated rivalry (which are traditionally close) CANNOT be a blowout loss. Plain and simple.

Just because we've had 4 of the $hittiest coaches in division 1 in a row that WOULD have been blown out in this spot doesn't mean that's the bar by which a University of Miami coach should be judged.

There's enough talent on this roster, at a minimum, to put up a fight. Anything less than that would be concerning to me right off the bat.
I agree Florida ain’t **** to be scared of.

Ever play follow the leader as a kid? I believe our guys will follow their leaders example and give it everything they've got. Even IF we lose to the gaytor, it won't be for lack of effort.

Advertisement

I agree, would be deeply disappointed with the coaches if we’re blown out. There’s a reason UF is #8, and we’re not. Canes are an unknown on O, killers on D. Looking for a close D minded game.Win, Lose, it’s CANE IN, as always 🙌🏿

Great read! As usual, @k9cane doesn’t disappoint. Not only are you an incredible asset to the Boxing community but you are HOF’er Cane in my book. Thank you for taking the time to write this.

You’re welcome, CIS.

Advertisement
Ever play follow the leader as a kid? I believe our guys will follow their leaders example and give it everything they've got. Even IF we lose to the gaytor, it won't be for lack of effort.

Like I already said, I can live with losing this game since we're breaking in a new QB and basically playing on the road.....but HOW we lose is what matters to me if it does happen.

Another LSU debacle and there won't be a Don Bailey Jr disciple in the world that will be able to spin this one positively.

Great read! As usual, @k9cane doesn’t disappoint. Not only are you an incredible asset to the Boxing community but you are HOF’er Cane in my book. Thank you for taking the time to write this.

You’re welcome, CIS.
Did not know @k9cane was a boxing guru. You know Anthony Pepe by any chance @k9cane? Great write up by the way.

........ LATE EDIT/ADDITION - Jarren Williams - I absolutely believe the staff made the right choice here. Ive been told for the past year-plus that he was the QB with the best overall skillset and potential. Great arm talent, athletic and from what I can decipher early on, has a good head on his shoulders, seems very mature, like he's ready for this responsibility. Enos, who is hoping that his stint in Coral Gables will lead to bigger and better things in his career, isn't putting this gig in the hands of just anybody.

Again, I still remember Ken Dorsey struggling in Seattle vs U-Dub in 2000 in his first road start, so I'll temper my expectations. But this young man has the talent, over time, it will show, as he conducts the Enos Express.

- Go back to Dec 29th, 2018, how were you feeling as a fan of UM football? Personally, I was feeling as down as I ever had (and Id been through the rebuilding of the program by Butch, the last days of Coker, 58-0, etc) but this felt like almost being on the death penalty. As I watched the semi-final playoff games I said to my buddy as long as Richt was in charge, I wouldn't be going to anymore games for the time being.

Now, dont get me wrong, I'd still watch every game from wherever I was, eating my sandwhiches 5 bites at a time, but traveling to see that wreck? No. But the very next day, Richtirement happens, we end up with Manny Diaz, and this guy had a great off-season, salvaging recruiting, attacking the transfer portal, setting a new tone and attitude for the program

The very least I could do as a fan was to be there for the opener. I told my editors that I didn't care if Ali and Frazier came out from under the grave to fight for a fourth time, I would be in Orlando for this game.

Manny, you won the off-season, it's time for you to win some games, now.

This

Go Canes

Advertisement
Back