In several days I'll be in Orlando (a few thoughts on the upcoming season)...

Advertisement
Yup, and I stand by every word of it. If we were playing a juggernaut like Clemson in the first game I'd be the first saying that even a blowout loss would be an unfair situation by which to judge Manny.

But THAT Gator team, first game, heated rivalry (which are traditionally close) CANNOT be a blowout loss. Plain and simple.

Just because we've had 4 of the $hittiest coaches in division 1 in a row that WOULD have been blown out in this spot doesn't mean that's the bar by which a University of Miami coach should be judged.

There's enough talent on this roster, at a minimum, to put up a fight. Anything less than that would be concerning to me right off the bat.

For your scenario to play out -- and from your post to God's ears - we're gonna have to have a couple things occur:

- no real injury bug, especially at corner and Oline

- and the Oline to become something other than a liability

But if the Enos Express can just consistently produce 28-31 points a game(which really isn't that much nowadays), UM has a shot to have a very good season

Yes, I absolutely know Pepe!!! Been on his various shows for years, great guy!!
Pep lives down the street. Was with him two days ago. Can I go with K9Cane as your handle when I mention you? Or, a dude in Miami that is a huge Canes fan and a boxing aficionado? Pep is a good dude. My daughter is very close with his girls.

Small world, figured you knew him.

For your scenario to play out -- and from your post to God's ears - we're gonna have to have a couple things occur:

- no real injury bug, especially at corner and Oline

- and the Oline to become something other than a liability

But if the Enos Express can just consistently produce 28-31 points a game(which really isn't that much nowadays), UM has a shot to have a very good season

I hear you, but for THIS game we probably aren't going to need 28-31 to win. Franks' struggles against teams over .500 last year are well documented. Truth be told first team to 20 probably wins this game.

Advertisement
I hear you, but for THIS game we probably aren't going to need 28-31 to win. Franks' struggles against teams over .500 last year are well documented. Truth be told first team to 20 probably wins this game.

I agree, I was talking more about ACC play, for this game, I'd be happy with 21-24 points in non-garbage time

Pep lives down the street. Was with him two days ago. Can I go with K9Cane as your handle when I mention you? Or, a dude in Miami that is a huge Canes fan and a boxing aficionado? Pep is a good dude. My daughter is very close with his girls.

Small world, figured you knew him.

lol, you can go by my real name - Steve Kim, trust me, he knows who I am..

I’m sure it’s going to take time...

But for Christ sake I want to see some fire from this team. Even if UF is better I want to see this team play with its hair on fire. No more seeing sulking or softness. We shouldn’t need to play at home under the lights and a chain to get us fired up.

I’d also like to see a complete game. Offense, defense and ST. Obviously this will take time, but a true indicator if we have the right guy at the helm.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Their offensive personnel just does not scare me at all. As much as they say they can’t see us scoring they have zero clue what we are. We know what they are on O & it’s nothing special at all.

I’m sure it’s going to take time...

But for Christ sake I want to see some fire from this team. Even if UF is better I want to see this team play with its hair on fire. No more seeing sulking or softness. We shouldn’t need to play at home under the lights and a chain to get us fired up.

I’d also like to see a complete game. Offense, defense and ST. Obviously this will take time, but a true indicator if we have the right guy at the helm.
All true for sure... want to see these guys fight! I’m trying to temper expectations realizing it’s a whole new offense and a redshirt freshman QB, but dang, if Manny is not the long term solution I don’t know who is!

Great write-up as always @k9cane.

Spot on with Phase 1 of the Diaz era: win the games Miami is supposed to win. I would add play with intensity, and when adversity strikes, man up and keep hitting. Diaz alluded to this after the second scrimmage. No flat games.

Are you watching games at Barney’s this season?

Advertisement
All I can add is that last year we were #8 to start the season, and the 2019 team is considerably better than that team. No, I haven't seen us play a down, but I don't think anyone doubts this offense will be much improved. Defense is going to tough as always, plus we might have something resembling special teams. If played in Miami, we would be feeling very good about the game (UF would prob be a 3 pt favorite if at Hard Rock). This is basically a home game for UF, which ups the degree of difficulty.

The one x factor that will help us is that this game has always meant more to UM than UF. Canes fans loathe the Gators, but many UF fans wouldn't put Miami in their top 3 rivals. It's how we feel when we play VT- a tough rival but not really pure hatred. I don't even hate FSU anywhere close to the level I hate UF. I think the players have the same hatred of UF as the Canes fans. That rage should help us carry the day.

All I can add is that last year we were #8 to start the season, and the 2019 team is considerably better than that team. No, I haven't seen us play a down, but I don't think anyone doubts this offense will be much improved. Defense is going to tough as always, plus we might have something resembling special teams. If played in Miami, we would be feeling very good about the game (UF would prob be a 3 pt favorite if at Hard Rock). This is basically a home game for UF, which ups the degree of difficulty.

The one x factor that will help us is that this game has always meant more to UM than UF. Canes fans loathe the Gators, but many UF fans wouldn't put Miami in their top 3 rivals. It's how we feel when we play VT- a tough rival but not really pure hatred. I don't even hate FSU anywhere close to the level I hate UF. I think the players have the same hatred of UF as the Canes fans. That rage should help us carry the day.

Time Bomb, just wondering what makes you think we are 'considerably' better this season? I actually happen to agree with you that this years UM team will fare better, but do you think it's solely the change at head coach/OC? Im curious..

Their offensive personnel just does not scare me at all. As much as they say they can’t see us scoring they have zero clue what we are. We know what they are on O & it’s nothing special at all.

Wisconsin's didn't scare me either, and the defense was shredded. I don't know how much of that was just from lack of enthusiasm with being there in the first place, Willis was missing, and the defense thinking the offense was again, going to be useless. I just want to see the defense stuff the run and make Franks beat them, which I'm sure is exactly what Florida wants to do to Miami. I excited to see the new offense, and how Enos calls a game.

Wisconsin's didn't scare me either, and the defense was shredded. I don't know how much of that was just from lack of enthusiasm with being there in the first place, Willis was missing, and the defense thinking the offense was again, going to be useless. I just want to see the defense stuff the run and make Franks beat them, which I'm sure is exactly what Florida wants to do to Miami. I excited to see the new offense, and how Enos calls a game.

Wisconsin game is irrelavant. The team quit.

Advertisement
Back