I'm so confused

I think we're overestimating how much they changed. Home game, better execution, bad offensive play. They don't have the capability to revamp their defense in a week. GT will probably frustrate us a bit but the real test will be a competent offense on the road.

I'm going to have to disagree with you here Penn. I have watched every snap of every game and we were running the defense much differently that we have under this staff. I don't need screenshots to tell me what I saw. We came after them tonight. Huge difference.

What are you saying here though? We changed our front or we played an upfield single gap defense or what? We've been dropping safeties and playing a lot of man coverage on pass downs the whole year--we just don't tend to get to 3rd and long and the extra man hasn't consistently stopped the run game. I'll acknowledge that we often put our backers on the line in third and long and attempted to disguise a lot of blitzes. I just don't see that as a dramatic difference--moreso something borne out of finally seeing a lot of 3rd and 6+ downs against a team that frankly couldn't throw the ball that well.

I don't really care about screenshots that much but I'm just asking what specific schematic changes we made that constitute a new defense. I saw a SUCCESSFUL defense but I personally didn't see it as all that new--just better executed against a team that didn't have explosive weapons. That was my view not having rewatched it but if you tell me these dramatic differences you saw maybe I'll go back and look.

Advertisement
You guys that are laughing, do you have the screen shots to prove that we ran a completely different scheme out there? Or is this a last ditch effort to save face after the predictions that Duke and Cutcliffe were going to "push our sheet in"?

The scheme wasn't DRASTICALLY different.

They used a greater variety of pressures and played more press coverage, but the D-Line was still engaging.

Safeties were more active and the LB's played down hill.

They also seemed to disguise a whole helluva lot better so that Cutcliffe/Boone didn't have a clear read of what was being done to them.

What game were you watching? They took the d@mn handcuffs off the d-line and let them shoot gaps and get up field the whole nite. The fans were 100% right but I do have to give them credit for making the necessary changes this game.. i only can hope that they don't revert back to their passive nature moving foward.

You're wrong. I'm watching the first 3 drives as we speak and nobody is shooting gaps.

Their playing the same technique.
All defenses require the D-linemen to engage. Shooting gaps means the player is only responsible for one gap. Tonight was the first time they abandoned the 2-gap defense. They were in the hybrid 4-3 tonight.

You guys that are laughing, do you have the screen shots to prove that we ran a completely different scheme out there? Or is this a last ditch effort to save face after the predictions that Duke and Cutcliffe were going to "push our sheet in"?

They used a greater variety of pressures and played more press coverage, but the D-Line was still engaging.

They also seemed to disguise a whole helluva lot better so that Cutcliffe/Boone didn't have a clear read of what was being done to them.

What game were you watching? They took the d@mn handcuffs off the d-line and let them shoot gaps and get up field the whole nite. The fans were 100% right but I do have to give them credit for making the necessary changes this game.. i only can hope that they don't revert back to their passive nature moving foward.

You're wrong. I'm watching the first 3 drives as we speak and nobody is shooting gaps.

All defenses require the D-linemen to engage. Shooting gaps means the player is only responsible for one gap. Tonight was the first time they abandoned the 2-gap defense. They were in the hybrid 4-3 tonight.

They've been in hybrid 4-3 since they got here.

And you're wrong, the line was still playing 2-gap, whether you folks want to admit it or not

And you're wrong, the line was still playing 2-gap, whether you folks want to admit it or not

We have been a 3-4 defense the last two years. We have not run a hybrid 4-3 in years. Golden even said so. Last night was the first time we went away from the 2 gap techniques and went with one gap.

We have been a 3-4 defense the last two years. We have not run a hybrid 4-3 in years. Golden even said so. Last night was the first time we went away from the 2 gap techniques and went with one gap.

I watched the game again last night. You're simply wrong as ****.

Advertisement
It is this type if gibberish that ****es off the fans. They were lining 8 men on the line and blitizing, disguising coverages, safeties not as deep, more press coverage big difference than we have seen.

10_man_front_medium.png

I know I saw Perryman on a lot of a gap blitzes and cross blitzes. That's definitely not normal.

Advertisement
Things must have changed against Arkansas State and FAMU too because we looked the same against them. Like those two teams, Duke had no athletes to challenge us.

But go ahead and shove that banana back in your own tailpipe.

I don't know if I'm happy that I watched an aggressive defense or ****ed off it took 4 years and a fan uprising to get the staff to do it.

Don't worry, staff will revert to its passive default defense and the cloud will clear. BUT let's enjoy it while we can and say good job!

Advertisement
Things must have changed against Arkansas State and FAMU too because we looked the same against them. Like those two teams, Duke had no athletes to challenge us.

But go ahead and shove that banana back in your own tailpipe.

We played well on defense because we outmatched them talent wise all over the field. This is all smoke and mirrors for me still. We will also handle GT next week, because they suck plain and simple. At the end of the day we handled a team we should have handled in year 4 of this staff. We are ****** Miami and they are Duke, lets not forget that and make it more than it really is. Lets see what we look like against VT, UVA and most importantly FSU. Because whenever somebody has players that are good, like the Huskers had in their RB, we get torched. I follow patterns and the patterns say we cant stop anybody from shredding our defense, one game in a line of many against a mediocre at best Duke game doesnt mean squat.

I think we're overestimating how much they changed. Home game, better execution, bad offensive play. They don't have the capability to revamp their defense in a week. GT will probably frustrate us a bit but the real test will be a competent offense on the road.

I'm going to have to disagree with you here Penn. I have watched every snap of every game and we were running the defense much differently that we have under this staff. I don't need screenshots to tell me what I saw. We came after them tonight. Huge difference.

What are you saying here though? We changed our front or we played an upfield single gap defense or what? We've been dropping safeties and playing a lot of man coverage on pass downs the whole year--we just don't tend to get to 3rd and long and the extra man hasn't consistently stopped the run game. I'll acknowledge that we often put our backers on the line in third and long and attempted to disguise a lot of blitzes. I just don't see that as a dramatic difference--moreso something borne out of finally seeing a lot of 3rd and 6+ downs against a team that frankly couldn't throw the ball that well.

I don't really care about screenshots that much but I'm just asking what specific schematic changes we made that constitute a new defense. I saw a SUCCESSFUL defense but I personally didn't see it as all that new--just better executed against a team that didn't have explosive weapons. That was my view not having rewatched it but if you tell me these dramatic differences you saw maybe I'll go back and look.

Penn, I appreciate your knowledge of defense and to be honest maybe what you were describing seemed to me during the game as something completely different when in actuality it really wasn't.

I have never seen our LBs press the gaps before the snap. Also we defended crossing routes much better. It just seemed to my eyes that they were much more aggressive. You do make some valid points and as always you present your argument in a very articulate and cogent manner. Well done sir.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I don't know if I'm happy that I watched an aggressive defense or ****ed off it took 4 years and a fan uprising to get the staff to do it.

I'm happy to see the defense finally play aggressive in a huge acc coastal home game that we had to win but I will be happier if we can play aggressive defense consistently the rest of the season.

Advertisement
Back