I'm just gonna go ahead and say it.

Am I the only one that feels like. If we don't get some DT's in this class then this class is a bust. I know that we're going to have some big names come through in this class. But the DT was the top thing we had to have coming in this class. Our DT's kept us from being a 10 win team last year. DT is the 1 thing that separates us from being elite team again. I don't care how good Matthew Thomas and Grace are at linebacker if we don't have anybody protecting them up front it's pointless. I could go on and on about how the DT's make every part of the defense better. Bottom line is we need to elite talent up front.

It took a lot of balls to "go ahead and say" what is already being beaten to death in about 3 threads on the front page

Advertisement
Last years DT recruiting class is much more important to this years success than any frosh DT we could sign

DT might be the position that you don't see immediate returns more than any other position

Edit-What Swagger said

Not a bust but it would be disappointing at that position. Scoop up the rest of the studs on UM's board and this class is ridiculous, especially considering all the BS this program has been through since Ratpiro started giving BJ's in exchange for publicity.

Unless Ivery, Moore, Kamalu or one of the others (King, Briscoe) makes a big jump, not getting an impact DT in this class will really hurt. In my conservative projections for the 2014 team, Keith Bryant is starting as a 2nd year player next to Pierre. If he or Bostwick aren't there, the pressure is really on those other guys.

It is what it is, but no bueno to have a complete strike out. We know this. Gotta call it like it is.

Advertisement
Porter and Pierre have absolutely nothing to do with DT recruiting this year. Porter will be gone and Pierre will be a senior before the HS kids we're recruiting start to do anything meaningful on the football field. You recruit for DL for 3-4 years down the road, not the next season.

I'm not sure why this is so hard to understand.

It is what it is, but no bueno to have a complete strike out. We know this. Gotta call it like it is.

Yup. Defensive tackle could become the position that haunts us for several years to come unless Golden strikes gold with a JUCO or 2.

Franly, I'm not so sure either Bryant or Bostwick are sure fire impact guys.

Bryant for the obvious reasons and Bostwick was not very productive.

Dominant DT's are very hard to come by.

Advertisement
Unless Ivery, Moore, Kamalu or one of the others (King, Briscoe) makes a big jump, not getting an impact DT in this class will really hurt. In my conservative projections for the 2014 team, Keith Bryant is starting as a 2nd year player next to Pierre. If he or Bostwick aren't there, the pressure is really on those other guys.

Need at least one impact guy this year

But we won't know if we struck out for another year and are able to see how the current commits progress. Assuming Bryant andBostwick sign elsewhere

Would it be possible to let the dust settle before starting this thread for the fifteenth time?

Am I the only one that feels like. If we don't get some DT's in this class then this class is a bust. I know that we're going to have some big names come through in this class. But the DT was the top thing we had to have coming in this class. Our DT's kept us from being a 10 win team last year. DT is the 1 thing that separates us from being elite team again. I don't care how good Matthew Thomas and Grace are at linebacker if we don't have anybody protecting them up front it's pointless. I could go on and on about how the DT's make every part of the defense better. Bottom line is we need to elite talent up front.
344.gif

I would have to assume that if we as outsiders see this, then surely Golden does as well and has planned around it. There is no way a person in his position would let us continue to struggle on D as we have the past few years. Wouldn't make any sense. If we don't get our Plan A guys, there has to be a plan B at the ready. He's getting paid a lot of money for this, so I'm going to let the man do his work and assume that he's doing a good job of it until he shows otherwise.

Advertisement
I'm just gonna go ahead and say it.

I hope we get both Bryant and Bostwick

With Porter returning and Pierre coming on strong it's not the end of the world to miss out on KB and Bostwick.
Some might even argue that DE was a higher priority given the fact that Chickillo might move inside, and other than an undersized Tyriq... we're pretty thin.

Do you really think we'll move Chickillo inside? I don't see how that happens, yes he's probably not a 12 sack a year guy more of a high motor guy. Plus lets not forget he had no help and was getting doubled teamed all season.

Realistically we need to be identifying the top JUCO DT's for 2014 and getting on them as early as possible. With Porter gone and possibly only having Pierre we'll need 2-3 high impact JUCO DT's to keep ourselves in good shape. I like our DE recruiting and think that will not be an issue with guys like McCord, Hoilett and AQM. Gotta get that pressure though.

Last edited:
Advertisement
So are u willing to swallow your words when the current DT's on the roster step up and perform? I mean do u really think that KB or Bostwick will come in and out perform Pierre, porter, Moore, and Robinson?

This. I think Canes need to realize that we have a new staff and that they are not going to leave a stone unturned. There will be another cycle next year, and the year after, etc. They have already gone out and gotten JUCO help, which is a clear indication that they have ZERO intent to walk away from DT recruiting with empty hands. Preemptive whining before something bad happens is un-Cane like.

Porter
Robinson
Pierre
Grimble
King
Moore
Ivery
Briscoe
Kamalu

We have a bunch of DT's. I'm not sure how good any of them are besides Porter but I'm not worried about it too much.

So are u willing to swallow your words when the current DT's on the roster step up and perform? I mean do u really think that KB or Bostwick will come in and out perform Pierre, porter, Moore, and Robinson?
Sure I will be happy to. My thing is we need an upgrade in town. I think we can all agree these 2 are far more talented than any DT we have had come in the last 4 years. Not they're grown man yet just don't tell me they dont have me talent and upside alone then any DT we have had time in awile.

klasjfkldsjflkdsjgdjs, the next person that says Chickillo is going to move inside to DT should be banned from this board.

Advertisement
Back