I'm actually encouraged.

I am disappointed in the end result but choose the positive over the negative.

Last year we had experience and were manhandled by LSU.

Today a team with a freshman QB, a raw, green offensive line, new secondary played a team comparable to LSU and could have won the game. The loss was primarily caused by mistakes, some schematic, some from youth. The team responded to adversity all game. Last year’s team quit by halftime.

Plenty of positives.

Advertisement
Spirited play and that's what I wanted to see. Would have liked to see Zion get more help and Jarren to get rid of the ball to avoid some sacks.

If Thomas doesn't fumble the fair catch and he holds unto the touchdown throw, we win.

I am disappointed in the end result but choose the positive over the negative.

Last year we had experience and were manhandled by LSU.

Today a team with a freshman QB, a raw, green offensive line, new secondary played a team comparable to LSU and could have won the game. The loss was primarily caused by mistakes, some schematic, some from youth. The team responded to adversity all game. Last year’s team quit by halftime.

Plenty of positives.
Finally someone with sense

Tbh I kinda expected this tonight. If the biggest issues in Manny’s first game is procedural penalties and a young offense getting beat by an experienced unit, I’m not too concerned. Last year this team would’ve rolled over after Florida took the lead in the second half. The issues are correctable. If these are persistent throughout year, then yea there maybe a problem.
We can’t afford to wait until the end of the year. Give Zion some “Chipping” help on the DE. Vary the snap count.

Score: Florida 28, Miami 3

Date: Sept. 3, 1983

What happened: This one made the list more because of what happened after the game than during it. The Gators destroyed the Hurricanes that night, forcing seven turnovers, and making college life miserable for a certain freshman making his first appearance as UM quarterback. That, of course, would be Kosar, who in addition to his debut -- against Florida linebacker Wilber Marshall, no less -- was leading an offense with four new linemen and two wideouts with a combined five receptions in their careers. UF counterpart Wayne Peace was a seasoned senior with a four-year track record. And while Peace had undergone back surgery just two months earlier, he carved up the UM defense in helping hand the Canes their worst defeat in four years. Florida's dominance must have had a profound impact on Miami's team. The Hurricanes, from there, won 11 straight, capped by their epic 31-30 upset of Nebraska to win the national crown four months later.

Numbers of note: Peace completed 18 of 32 passes (including his first eight throws) for 146 yards, two touchdowns and no picks. ... Kosar went 24-for-45, good enough for 223 yards, but threw three interceptions. The Canes also fumbled four times. ... The 25-point margin was the worst since Miami lost 30-0 at Alabama in 1979

Quotes: “We weren't that sharp,” Peace said. “Typical opening-day game.” ... “We beat ourselves,” said UM tailback Albert Bentley. ... “Not the best way to start a career,” Kosar said in a prophetic post-game moment. “But I'll learn from my mistakes.” ... UM coach Howard Schnellenberger was asked about turnovers taking his team out of the game. “We didn't really get into it to the point where we could try to get back,” he said. ... And then there was Marshall, who the year before had 17 tackles in a dramatic UF win. In the days leading up to the game, UM tight end Glenn Dennison said Marshall, a first-team All-American in '82, was overrated. Marshall was not phased. “What he's done and what I've done, I guess you can just compare that for yourself.”
This makes for good reading, but it’s all asymmetrical. Really no link to the game we just witnessed.

I do feel good about J’Dub. He is a real QB. He may learn more from this game than any we face this year. I never fear that he will place the ball in a bad spot. His accuracy will win many games for us.

Advertisement
Ppl are tripping on this Board right now. We literally started 2 freshmen tackles, our “ best “ player muff a punt for us that cost a lead. Terrible officiating, bad penalties and still almost won the game. We are going to crush the ACC.

Notice how the Gators were talking trash all offseason and had nothing to say after the game.
The Gators did not beat Miami last night!!! Miami Beat Miami!!!!

As bad as the offensive line played Jarren was responsible himself for half those sacks. He needs to get the ball out quicker and in rhythm. He started off that way then as the game progressed he seemed scared to make a throw if the first guy wasn't nt open.

CMD and his staff have been walking the talk and doing what’s been needed to get the program back to NC-level prominence. In January we had the bold house cleaning and start of the portal engine. Many of us got excited by Feeley, Enos, the legit team competitions (especially QB, OL, corner and safety), the transparency, accountability, players’ mindset, and much more. Then Manny says this after last night’s game:
“I thought our guys played with a lot of courage. I think they played with a lot of effort. But it doesn’t matter because we lost the game.”
And, “We did not come here to play with courage and effort. We came here to win the game and it’s not OK at the University of Miami ever to lose to the University of Florida. Everybody in that locker room feels the pain of that right now.”
To me THAT is New Miami! Old school Canes! Blades, CJJ, JBrown, Moss boys . . .

I have NO DOUBT that the coaching staff and players will address the mistakes and concerns from last night with resolve AND fire. That’s what Manny has brought to the program as head coach. I have NO DOUBT that if this team stays pretty healthy it will grow and go through the rest of the regular season UNBEATEN. TBandy and other players called it after the lost. I’m with them. Only a LEGIT Briles-insurgent offense playing well in front of their fans would/might make the WillieNoles a ‘challenge’ to this. Otherwise the Canes meet Clemson in the ACCCG with just the 8/24 scar. I won’t predict an outcome for that game right now but I’ll say this: TNM is the pathway to the prominence we’ve been long awaiting. We will continue to witness its formation, even though it includes last night’s painful contraction.

"Encouraged" is not the word I would use to describe my feelings this morning.
It is more like coming to the conclusion that we have a lot of work to do in all three phases but knowing that we have the time and the schedule to fix the issues.
As bad as some of the issues looked last night there is time for some of the players to learn their roles, get better at their techniques, watch some film and have a successful season.

Advertisement
"Encouraged" is not the word I would use to describe my feelings this morning.
It is more like coming to the conclusion that we have a lot of work to do in all three phases but knowing that we have the time and the schedule to fix the issues.
As bad as some of the issues looked last night there is time for some of the players to learn their roles, get better at their techniques, watch some film and have a successful season.
THIS......we could have won the game. OL must get better (or Jarren will get killed), tackling must improve & Mallory MUST catch the ball. If he had made the catch at the end we'd have won the game. I'll be surprised if we lose another game. BUT, 114 yds in PENalties & missed field goal....this can't continue. Special teams MUST get fixed.

Spirited play and that's what I wanted to see. Would have liked to see Zion get more help and Jarren to get rid of the ball to avoid some sacks.

If Thomas doesn't fumble the fair catch and he holds unto the touchdown throw, we win.
Yeah Thomas REALLY **** the bed unfortunately. I just can't wait until Miami doesn't constantly shoot itself in the foot.

Not the end of the world, unlike LSU last year, we were in this game till the last play. It was ours to lose, and we did.

This is a process and its apparent we don't have some of the pieces to make a complete team effort against an upper tier SEC defense. Our Defense however, played their asses off despite some missed tackles. They gave the offense a bundle of turnovers that I think we only ended up with 3-points off of. We had like an 11 minute posession advantage.

Yeah, the penalties (The real ones early like delays and offsides, and the ones called differently by the refs), 10 sacks, dropped passes, all contributed. But Special Teams came back to bite us in the butt again, like LSU last season - we just weren't ready to execute and three things ended up up in most of the the Gator's points (21 anyway).

1) Gave up Fake Punt to a coach known to think outside of the box: critical play, assignment football. We stop that and get 3 or 7 points; wow. They drive down and 7pts Gators
2) Muffed a Punt: short few yards 14 Gator points.
3) Missed FG - 3 points there and the Gators get a TD drive 21 points

Punting was much better than last year's first game; Hedley did well punting out of the end zone for his first time in a big atmosphere.

QB play no turnovers was huge, Williams played very well with the pressure he faced - he showed he was the right pick. We need to find some dependable receivers to get open and actually catch the ball, other than Jordan, Osborn and Dallas. O-Line is going to be another work in progress

We can’t afford to wait until the end of the year. Give Zion some “Chipping” help on the DE. Vary the snap count.
I’m saying if these issues are still problems at the end of the year there’s a serious problem. We’ve played one game. These issues are very correctable is all I'm saying.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back