If we thought SOFla was getting fleeced......

USC is going to have a down recruiting year. Clay Helton is a lame duck head coach and they lost a lot of their juice after Double K left for the Cardinals.

They'll finish strong, but it'll be a down year for them.

As for UCLA...its Chip Kelly...he recruits a different kind of player that doesn't really reflect recruiting rankings. Couple it with UCLA stinks and there you go.
Kelly will fail he cant recruit and was gifted good players at Oregon. That Nike money real. USC will throw the bank at Urban

Advertisement
See SC in the 90’s.

While SC was down, UCLA, U-Dub, Colorado, and AZ St all took advantage. USC hires Pete, and Pete put a stop to that.

If SC ever hires Meyers (which I would be extremely jealous of, no shade to Manny), it will be another Carroll situation, yet worst b/c not only is Meyers more unscrupulous, but he’s got a major pedigree of winning chips, conferences, and getting his players paid on & off the field.
**** yeah u throw the bank at Urban he guarantees them being back. U need hires like that if u want to win at all costs

**** yeah u throw the bank at Urban he guarantees them being back. U need hires like that if u want to win at all costs

USC has a new President, too. Lots of cleaning up to do academically and athletically. It will be telling to see how involved the new President becomes in athletics. I read their 247 board periodically - whew! their fans and boosters are pretty unhappy right now. Lots of long time supporters NOT renewing very expensive season tickets. Lots of people very unhappy with the renovations to the Colosseum. Just bad vibes in general there.

Bags have invaded the west too the SEC has a strangle hold on cfb recruiting
USC used to be some of the biggest bag droppers back in the Pete Carroll era, **** they were still dropping bags under Lane Kiffn & Sarkisian, their problem now is that Clay Helton completely sh*t the bed after Sam Darnold went to the NFL.

They still drop bags, they just get outbid & when you have a bad 5-7 season you don't have much to stand on if every other program recruiting your area kids are negative recruiting against the fact your HC is on his way out despite having back to back 10/11 win seasons in 2016 & 2017.

Their problems are somewhat similar to ours, since Pete Carroll they can't find the right coach & every 3-4 years they fire someone & get a new guy, then the new guy is on the hot seat from day 1 & can't deliver, so they repeat the same process over again. They've had more success over that time than we've had, but they run through coaches at a high clip too & no continuity ever gets built.

USC has a new President, too. Lots of cleaning up to do academically and athletically. It will be telling to see how involved the new President becomes in athletics. I read their 247 board periodically - whew! their fans and boosters are pretty unhappy right now. Lots of long time supporters NOT renewing very expensive season tickets. Lots of people very unhappy with the renovations to the Colosseum. Just bad vibes in general there.
They should be upset they should be an elite power, they need to hire someone proven thats the quickest way back.

Advertisement
USC used to be some of the biggest bag droppers back in the Pete Carroll era, **** they were still dropping bags under Lane Kiffn & Sarkisian, their problem now is that Clay Helton completely sh*t the bed after Sam Darnold went to the NFL.

They still drop bags, they just get outbid & when you have a bad 5-7 season you don't have much to stand on if every other program recruiting your area kids are negative recruiting against the fact your HC is on his way out despite having back to back 10/11 win seasons in 2016 & 2017.

Their problems are somewhat similar to ours, since Pete Carroll they can't find the right coach & every 3-4 years they fire someone & get a new guy, then the new guy is on the hot seat from day 1 & can't deliver, so they repeat the same process over again. They've had more success over that time than we've had, but they run through coaches at a high clip too & no continuity ever gets built.
Its crazy there fall is almost the exact carbon copy of our fall.

Kelly will fail he cant recruit and was gifted good players at Oregon. That Nike money real. USC will throw the bank at Urban

Urban at SoCal would be a problem. Its crazy to say this about a state that size, but they really wouldn't have much west coast competition for in state players. Stanford has brutal standards & UCLA & Cal aren't worth a ****. Last year, half of the top 10 players from Cali left the west coast (Clemson, Bama, Michigan, UGA, Texas). Two already went back home. Only two other Pac 12 teams landed any of their top 10 players. So its not like other Pac12 teams are owning the state, even with Helton there. Washington just can't recruit at the level USC with Meyer would. Neither could Oregon.
People talk about connections but ****. He went from Utah to Ufag & recruited well. Same deal at Ohio State. He would turn SoCal back into a recruiting juggernaut.

@Liberty City El If Im them and I run the school I throw the biggest contract at Urban, this is the only way back instead of trying to guess whos good or who will be dirty. UGA got lucky or they knew Kirbs was dirty, Bama knew Saban was dirty so they did what they had too. Dabo showed early sign of those tactics and CU was more patient with him and he eventually had success but the signs were there very early that kids were breaking bread.

Urban at SoCal would be a problem. Its crazy to say this about a state that size, but they really wouldn't have much west coast competition for in state players. Stanford has brutal standards & UCLA & Cal aren't worth a ****. Last year, half of the top 10 players from Cali left the west coast (Clemson, Bama, Michigan, UGA, Texas). Two already went back home. Only two other Pac 12 teams landed any of their top 10 players. So its not like other Pac12 teams are owning the state, even with Helton there. Washington just can't recruit at the level USC with Meyer would. Neither could Oregon.
People talk about connections but ****. He went from Utah to Ufag & recruited well. Same deal at Ohio State. He would turn SoCal back into a recruiting juggernaut.
Urban would destroy at USC or a place like FSU or Miami look what he does anywhere he goes. Somewhere like USC my goodness

Advertisement
The only way to win is to pay and usually in a head coaches first class u will see signs of it when u get a recruit thats elite no one was expecting like an Ed Oliver at Houston. This is why every wanted Herman those signs were there that it was win win win no matter what. Texas will be back eventually cause the guy is a savage on the trail

@Liberty City El If Im them and I run the school I throw the biggest contract at Urban, this is the only way back instead of trying to guess whos good or who will be dirty. UGA got lucky or they knew Kirbs was dirty, Bama knew Saban was dirty so they did what they had too. Dabo showed early sign of those tactics and CU was more patient with him and he eventually had success but the signs were there very early that kids were breaking bread.
Urby would be perfect for them if he decided to come out of retirement, but I think he's gonna wait until his true dream job comes open & Brian Kelly moves on at Notre Lame. But one of the issues USC has had is their adminstration really only likes West coast guys & only wants coaches with a previous connection to SC.

They hired Kiffin because he was there under Pete Carroll, after they fired Kiffin they had Eddy O for a season as an interim but chose to let him go because they preferred Sarkisan who was another QB Coach/OC under Carroll, then they fired Sark & hired Clay Helton because he was an OC under Kiffin.

They have big money boosters but their administration really doesn't like breaking bank for top Coaches, Clay Helton is only making $2.6mill a year, Urby was making $7.6mill before he stepped down at Oh St, if/when he comes back to college he'll command $10-12mill a year easy since Saban & Dabo both got pay increases this year.

Urby would be perfect for them if he decided to come out of retirement, but I think he's gonna wait until his true dream job comes open & Brian Kelly moves on at Notre Lame. But one of the issues USC has had is their adminstration really only likes West coast guys & only wants coaches with a previous connection to SC.

They hired Kiffin because he was there under Pete Carroll, after they fired Kiffin they had Eddy O for a season as an interim but chose to let him go because they preferred Sarkisan who was another QB Coach/OC under Carroll, then they fired Sark & hired Clay Helton because he was an OC under Kiffin.

They have big money boosters but their administration really doesn't like breaking bank for top Coaches, Clay Helton is only making $2.6mill a year, Urby was making $7.6mill before he stepped down at Oh St, if/when he comes back to college he'll command $10-12mill a year easy since Saban & Dabo both got pay increases this year.
So there just coach hopping like us seeing which guy will turn it around.....thats a dangerous play for the new generation of player. All kids know now is bama because of these schools like us USC etc being terrible at finding the right fit. I hate going through the coaching carousal, also even make u respect how good we were late 80;s and early 90;s cause coaches changed and we still got the right hires. Crazy ****

To me u have to find a coach thats lets the boosters and behind the scenes guys do what they want, u cant put leashes on them or u will lose that job. What Taggert is going through at FSU is that the boosters dont like him so there not helping him, he was a known recruiter and for some reason at FSU he isnt doing well in that area.

So there just coach hopping like us seeing which guy will turn it around.....thats a dangerous play for the new generation of player. All kids know now is bama because of these schools like us USC etc being terrible at finding the right fit. I hate going through the coaching carousal, also even make u respect how good we were late 80;s and early 90;s cause coaches changed and we still got the right hires. Crazy ****

To me u have to find a coach thats lets the boosters and behind the scenes guys do what they want, u cant put leashes on them or u will lose that job. What Taggert is going through at FSU is that the boosters dont like him so there not helping him, he was a known recruiter and for some reason at FSU he isnt doing well in that area.

don't think urban is an LA guy tbh. he's gonna go to south bend if he comes back imo.

Advertisement
don't think urban is an LA guy tbh. he's gonna go to south bend if he comes back imo.
Yea if that job opens up, if Kelly has a similar year to last hes not going anywhere unless behind the scenes guys know for a fact Urban will take the job. They would have to speak to him low key while Kelly is still coaching

I maybe wrong here, but personality-wise, I don’t see scummy Urban as an LA type of guy. He’s more of a small town or midwest type guy.

I mean, I don’t think he meshes in a metropolitan environment. Mainly because I think he has a provincial type of personality, but also because he can’t push people around, for example reporters, like he can and has done in the small town or college town atmosphere.

Advertisement
First year following recruiting? Very rarely does USC have high classes until near the end of the season when most of the 4 and 5 stars commit.

I maybe wrong here, but personality-wise, I don’t see scummy Urban as an LA type of guy. He’s more of a small town or midwest type guy.

I mean, I don’t think he meshes in a metropolitan environment. Mainly because I think he has a provincial type of personality, but also because he can’t push people around, for example reporters, like he can and has done in the small town or college town atmosphere.
He's not, that's why I said he'll probably wait for the Notre Lame job to open up. It would be great for them because he's a big name HC that would clean up in recruiting, but not great for him overall. He'd go there for a few years & already have one foot out the door by the end of year 2 because he wouldn't want to deal with their micromanaging admin.

But he's not foreign to recruiting California though, he recruited there when he was at Utah & during his time at Oh St he always snatched up some high ranked Cali kids.

He's not, that's why I said he'll probably wait for the Notre Lame job to open up. It would be great for them because he's a big name HC that would clean up in recruiting, but not great for him overall. He'd go there for a few years & already have one foot out the door by the end of year 2 because he wouldn't want to deal with their micromanaging admin.

But he's not foreign to recruiting California though, he recruited there when he was at Utah & during his time at Oh St he always snatched up some high ranked Cali kids.

I agree. He’s just a much better cultural fit there. In my opinion. And as far as recruiting, makes sense he’s very familiar with west coast recruiting from his time at Utah, and he’s pretty much recruited well the entire nation. I mean with Notre Dame it’s going to be mainly Midwest and Northeast, but they’ll pull from the West Coast as well, especially with him there.

Urban would do well at either lame or usc. But I think his success at lame would be similar to at osu. Osu is just as elite of a brand these days. But in my opinion urban would destroy at usc. No comp in the pac12. He’d be dangerous. I predict he’d be competing with bama and Clemson for national titles within the first 2 years.

Advertisement
Back