If we get Trevon and that DT from UCLA...?

If I recall correctly, the DTs that season were Anthony Hamlet (who was really a DE) and Eric Miller (who had chronic shoulder injuries) and Mark Caesar off the bench, with true freshman, Pat Riley.

That 91 unit of Sonny Lubick was as well coached a defense as I have seen at UM. They were unreal at getting off the field on 3rd downs and limiting big plays. Darryl Williams is the great forgotten safety in Miami lore. And then there was 'the Bermuda Triangle'....

Darrl Williams is still my all time favorite safety at UM. Yeah, dude does not get the props he deserves.

Advertisement
If I recall correctly, the DTs that season were Anthony Hamlet (who was really a DE) and Eric Miller (who had chronic shoulder injuries) and Mark Caesar off the bench, with true freshman, Pat Riley.

That 91 unit of Sonny Lubick was as well coached a defense as I have seen at UM. They were unreal at getting off the field on 3rd downs and limiting big plays. Darryl Williams is the great forgotten safety in Miami lore. And then there was 'the Bermuda Triangle'....
Hamlet and Miller were about 250 lbs soaking wet. Hard to believe that guys that light could be so productive. Imagine how good that DL would've been if Cameron Binion would actually have been a D-1 level player.

Advertisement
Hamlet and Miller were about 250 lbs soaking wet. Hard to believe that guys that light could be so productive. Imagine how good that DL would've been if Cameron Binion would actually have been a D-1 level player.

Well Cameron Binion came a few years later, in 1994, I believe. Was a huge bust, came with big high school accolades

How is Miller developing? He was a huge story last year but I know he needs some time.

Would love to hear this, as well. He looked as big as two grown men coming in. Hope Simpson has been all over him this season, and the new S&C team makes him a priority. We don't really have a true nose tackle on roster other than Miller. Ford and Silvera could fill that role if needed, but they're more attacking tackles, not plugs like Miller.

Advertisement
Well Cameron Binion came a few years later, in 1994, I believe. Was a huge bust, came with big high school accolades
Yeah.......I was baiting you on that one. Heard you talk about him on one of the podcasts when the topic was overhyped dudes who did squat at UM.

Yeah.......I was baiting you on that one. Heard you talk about him on one of the podcasts when the topic was overhyped dudes who did squat at UM.

LOL, he was the Gatorade Player of the Year in the state of Michigan. I was hyped when UM got him, lol. He literally never played a meaningful down at Miami

The truth is we all don't know how players like Bethel or Ford are going to play next year.
Many people think their play can stagnate or regress. I am hoping they can improve even if it is just minor improvements here and there.

Remember last year at this time people around here were really concerned about losing McIntosh and Norton saying that we can't count on Willis because he had not played a full season and was not all there mentally/emotionally.

We all saw how that turned out.
I agree with this. I don't get all the negativity regarding Bethel. Bethel is no Jerome Brown but he's hardly Jason McCullough either. The kid has played hard for us. Sure he doesn't posses the natural talent of a Willis or a Silvera but I have every confidence that Bethel will continue to get better and better especially considering who his position coach is and the job that Simpson has done. Bethel will be fine. Ford on the other hand really needs to dedicate himself this off season to fulfilling more of his athletic potential. I have confidence in Coach Simpson getting more out of Ford. I see Silvera taking the next step but it will be crucial to land a grad transfer DT in order to have any real depth. The bottom line here is that recruiting needs to drastically improve going forward

Last edited:
4-2-5 is just a nickle alignment. What makes TCU's approach unique or at least at the time was their coverage schemes. TCU runs a lot of zone but they pattern match and not spot drop. TCU also runs mixed coverages. Based on the offensive alignment, TCU may run zone on one side and man on the other.
Nickel alignment but not necessarily buckle personnel. Traditional nickel is 3CB 2S. Modern 4-2-5 is 3S 2CB

Advertisement
LOL, he was the Gatorade Player of the Year in the state of Michigan. I was hyped when UM got him, lol. He literally never played a meaningful down at Miami
Major points for the Cameron Binion reference. That Sonny Lubbick defense you mentioned was a special group. Lubbick has always been my favorite defensive coordinator in UM history.

Now in an effort to top that Cameron Binion reference I'm going to have to go Ben West from Hialeah-Miami Lakes High School. Don't think he ever made it in though!

Major points for the Cameron Binion reference. That Sonny Lubbick defense you mentioned was a special group. Lubbick has always been my favorite defensive coordinator in UM history.

Now in an effort to top that Cameron Binion reference I'm going to have to go Ben West from Hialeah-Miami Lakes High School. Don't think he ever made it in though!

lol, he was during the Butch Davis era, and no, I dont think he ever got to UM. He's goes into the bin with Javony Ward

Advertisement
@k9cane k9 is up against the ropes and FS connects with another combination. This time it is of the Eugene Ridgley/Dennis Scott variety!

Also, Richt having Miami PRACTICING eight times was a MAJOR mistake. hUh. While mighty Wisconsin employing the full allotment of FIFTEEN PRACTICES didn't help either. Wisconsin had Miami's " game plan scouted " from the get go and the final score is an indication of that Miami NO SHOW. OUCH! In other words, Chrsyt has OUT COACHED Miami's former head coach TWICE now. But that's all moot now.
It was so idiotic of our coach to leave 7 whole practices on the table and not take advantage. There was absolutely no logic in that decision.

Advertisement
Back