If we get Trevon and that DT from UCLA...?

filmcane

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
Will this D actually be as good as this past season?

I knew we'd still be good, but I assumed we'd take at least a half step back. With Simpson continuing to develop our DL, this could be the 2nd year in a row we assumed the DL would take a step back and doesn't.

It's a good time to be a Cane!

Advertisement
It will all depend on the play of the DTs. I don't think anybody will have a production year like Willis had, but if at least 2 guys step up you could have that same production or even more, in order to fill the whole that Willis left

Advertisement
Agreed that you don't lose arguably the best all around DT in the country and not feel it, but if we get those two players and Simpson is the teacher he is portrayed to be, then the sum total of the DL play could be close to this year.

Advertisement
Advertisement
But we’re replacing Willis and Tito with 2 high ceiling/High floor starters. We’re obviously losing Gerald but the other side is getting elevated.

But it didn't really need to be. Garvin and Rousseau are/are going to be beasts. Willis was the best DT we've had since Wilfork, and more integral to the scheme.

Willis made our defense great. I think we will still be a top 25 defense but not a top 5 again.
Your assuming guys play at the same level next year as they did this year minus gwill

Can’t do that. Bethel should be better. Nesta should be better. Ford should take a big step. Garvin will be a grown *** dog. Might even get something from tyric in his 4th full year as a rotational vet. Patchan will be a couple years removed from surgery. Then you potentially add the kid from UCLA who is this style of D will be distributive. Potentially add Hill to the Rotation. And don’t forget Rossuea who should be ready to go by spring which gives him a chance to get ahead of the full rehab process. This front 7 has a chance to be on par and in some ways better. That’s assuming we add those two

Willis made our defense great. I think we will still be a top 25 defense but not a top 5 again.

Willis was elite but I think depth behind him was scary thin and I think it wore on him down the stretch...

Think about it our only guy with any prescience was Nesta a true frosh who honestly wasn’t ready body wise for the trenches yet!

I think bringing in hill and for sure that UCLA DT and Rice one as grad transfers can make our dline better as a whole as depth will be great.. no we won’t have a star but we will have 2 deep of players rotating eating

Advertisement
Will this D actually be as good as this past season?

I knew we'd still be good, but I assumed we'd take at least a half step back. With Simpson continuing to develop our DL, this could be the 2nd year in a row we assumed the DL would take a step back and doesn't.

It's a good time to be a Cane!
I think we should add 2 DTs from the portal. That would give us the type of depth necessary to go through an entire season. It would be a huge bonus if Miller develops.
DT
Silvera
Ford
Bethel
Miller
Portal guy 1
Portal guy 2
Munoz
Holley
Blisset

I'll take this for 2019 then it goes without saying that we need to keep stacking chips here. I would target another 3 in 2020.

Right now I see us falling back to 2017 production, maybe a little bit worse. Willis was elite, Jackson was special and Odenigbo was quality (except that stupid penalty). In compensation, our LBs are ready to eat, and while we lose a lot at DB, the guys coming up behind them have huge upside. Getting a transfer DE and DT are critical to go from good to great, IMHO.

I think we should add 2 DTs from the portal. That would give us the type of depth necessary to go through an entire season. It would be a huge bonus if Miller develops.
DT
Silvera
Ford
Bethel
Miller
Portal guy 1
Portal guy 2
Munoz
Holley
Blisset

I'll take this for 2019 then it goes without saying that we need to keep stacking chips here. I would target another 3 in 2020.

1. *** (Sr) Bethel
2. ** (RSr) Nnoruka (UCLA)
3. *** (Jr) Ford
4. *** (RJr) Martin
5. **** (So) Nesta
6. Missing player
7. *** (RFr) Miller
8. **** (Fr) Blisset
9. *** (Fr) Holley (4 games redshirt)
10. *** (Fr) Munoz (4 games redshirt)

Advertisement
Back