If we get Trevon and that DT from UCLA...?

As long as we run the 4-2-5 we going to be skraight. That defense is a game changer the same way the spread offense was when it came into football. (I have been running the 4-2-5 ever since like NCAA 08. The first team I seen running it was TCU and Gary Patterson, back when WVU and Rich Rod ran the 3-3-5.) 4-2-5 is perfect for college football bc most teams try to spread u out and u have more DBs on the field that can cover more ground quickly. IMO Bubba Bolden aka Taylor Mays 2.0 is perfect for the striker position, which is essentially a more athletic linebacker and a roamer on the field. But yeah, couldn't go wrong with a spread option offense and a 4-2-5 defense 😁 hoping that's what we run.

4-2-5 is just a nickle alignment. What makes TCU's approach unique or at least at the time was their coverage schemes. TCU runs a lot of zone but they pattern match and not spot drop. TCU also runs mixed coverages. Based on the offensive alignment, TCU may run zone on one side and man on the other.

Advertisement
I’m not sure we can count on Bethel or especially Ford really taking a major step. I hope Bethel becomes a solid guy there but what has Ford shown? I’ve at least seen some flashes from Bethel. Really I think we are gonna heavily depend on Nesta taking that step and some transfers. Otherwise our defense should be as good if not better everywhere else from a pure talent standpoint.
The truth is we all don't know how players like Bethel or Ford are going to play next year.
Many people think their play can stagnate or regress. I am hoping they can improve even if it is just minor improvements here and there.

Remember last year at this time people around here were really concerned about losing McIntosh and Norton saying that we can't count on Willis because he had not played a full season and was not all there mentally/emotionally.

We all saw how that turned out.

Advertisement
The truth is we all don't know how players like Bethel or Ford are going to play next year.
Many people think their play can stagnate or regress. I am hoping they can improve even if it is just minor improvements here and there.

Remember last year at this time people around here were really concerned about losing McIntosh and Norton saying that we can't count on Willis because he had not played a full season and was not all there mentally/emotionally.

We all saw how that turned out.
There was always concerns about Willis with his off the field history, his talent was never a question.

There was always concerns about Willis with his off the field history, his talent was never a question.
True.
The point is people were saying very similar things about not being able to count on him at all though.
I am not the type to bump threads from a year ago so won't go there.

In order to have an elite defense, you need an elite DT. We can have great DEs but if you don’t have the dudes at DT, there’s a limit to how good the defense can be. Bethel and ford at this stage are JAGS. Would love Miller to step up and I think nasty will be good. We need 1 more big time DT to
Make this defense click

Not worried about any of it, 3 years in a row we have had good defense. They were overworked because of Pastor Richt so i can't call them great this past year. They will be fine, they style of play remains the same, not alot of nuance, its just go. We have athletes and most of them will be here multiple springs.

Advertisement
4-2-5 is just a nickle alignment. What makes TCU's approach unique or at least at the time was their coverage schemes. TCU runs a lot of zone but they pattern match and not spot drop. TCU also runs mixed coverages. Based on the offensive alignment, TCU may run zone on one side and man on the other.
We ran hybrid coverages this year. Man'd on one side, etc. I'd still love to see our LBs transitioned to less spot dropping, but it's what you often see with versions of Zone Blitzing. If the zone blitz doesn't get home, bad news. Where Diaz made a leap this year was mixing and matching his 3rd down playcalls. It paid off very big in the numbers. Also helped Willis had a historic year. I think we can all now look back and say we've seen only a couple seasons like he had at DT in the last 25 or so.

Let's take a look

CB. Bandy/Blades
SS. Carter/Bolden
FS. Hall/K.Smith
CB. Ivey/Frierson
Nickel. Bandy/Couch
Striker. Finley/D.Smith

I love the quality here but we are dangerously thin. We need Emerson and at least 1 more CB. 2020 needs to be a homerun type of class.
Like I said nobody proven.....Bolden behind Carter??

The Wisky game was a demoralized and beaten team. That is not who this Canes defense/ team will be this year. I love how posters act like mindset and emotion don’t have any affect on performance.

Also, Richt having Miami PRACTICING eight times was a MAJOR mistake. hUh. While mighty Wisconsin employing the full allotment of FIFTEEN PRACTICES didn't help either. Wisconsin had Miami's " game plan scouted " from the get go and the final score is an indication of that Miami NO SHOW. OUCH! In other words, Chrsyt has OUT COACHED Miami's former head coach TWICE now. But that's all moot now.

Advertisement
In order to have an elite defense, you need an elite DT. We can have great DEs but if you don’t have the dudes at DT, there’s a limit to how good the defense can be. Bethel and ford at this stage are JAGS. Would love Miller to step up and I think nasty will be good. We need 1 more big time DT to
Make this defense click
One of our best D’s of all time was our 91’ unit. They were absolutely light absorbing and dominant and they didn’t have dominant DT play. The other 9 were so good! We had leadership at LB and a ferocious pass rush from our DE’s. So, it is possible, but you need the other position groups to be exceptional.

One of our best D’s of all time was our 91’ unit. They were absolutely light absorbing and dominant and they didn’t have dominant DT play. The other 9 were so good! We had leadership at LB and a ferocious pass rush from our DE’s. So, it is possible, but you need the other position groups to be exceptional.

If I recall correctly, the DTs that season were Anthony Hamlet (who was really a DE) and Eric Miller (who had chronic shoulder injuries) and Mark Caesar off the bench, with true freshman, Pat Riley.

That 91 unit of Sonny Lubick was as well coached a defense as I have seen at UM. They were unreal at getting off the field on 3rd downs and limiting big plays. Darryl Williams is the great forgotten safety in Miami lore. And then there was 'the Bermuda Triangle'....

If I recall correctly, the DTs that season were Anthony Hamlet (who was really a DE) and Eric Miller (who had chronic shoulder injuries) and Mark Caesar off the bench, with true freshman, Pat Riley.

That 91 unit of Sonny Lubick was as well coached a defense as I have seen at UM. They were unreal at getting off the field on 3rd downs and limiting big plays. Darryl Williams is the great forgotten safety in Miami lore. And then there was 'the Bermuda Triangle'....

AGREE, That was ONE bad *** Defense!!

Advertisement
The development and progress of Silvera, Ford and Rousseau will determine if our DL is average or above average.

I believe that if Rousseau can stay healthy, very few teams will have an answer for him.

Would love to see that beast released in the first game against UF.

We ran hybrid coverages this year. Man'd on one side, etc. I'd still love to see our LBs transitioned to less spot dropping, but it's what you often see with versions of Zone Blitzing. If the zone blitz doesn't get home, bad news. Where Diaz made a leap this year was mixing and matching his 3rd down playcalls. It paid off very big in the numbers. Also helped Willis had a historic year. I think we can all now look back and say we've seen only a couple seasons like he had at DT in the last 25 or so.

Yes, we did. We also stunted and shifted differently the second half of the season. We hadn't seen a tackle as productive as Willis since Brown in 2006. Everybody forgets how good Kareem was that year.

Darryl Williams- stud

Advertisement
Back