If the draft were this weekend

I know some on here have already disagreed, but I think Rousseau hurt himself by opting out. For his sake, perhaps a Top 10 team (the Phins will hopefully have two picks) overlooks them and opts for potential, but there are at least some questions he could have easily answered this season.

Advertisement
Most players that go in the first round are special talents. I think Rousseau is great and has a lot of potential, but his sample size is less than one full season. I'm not ready to put him against guys that have proven the same over multiple seasons.

Potential outweighs sample size when it comes to DEs. All the NFL sees is an elite athlete at 6’6-6’7 who’s production was off the charts in his first full season playing the position. D lines are more important than ever in the game. He’s a top 10 pick easy

I know some on here have already disagreed, but I think Rousseau hurt himself by opting out. For his sake, perhaps a Top 10 team (the Phins will hopefully have two picks) overlooks them and opts for potential, but there are at least some questions he could have easily answered this season.
I don’t think there should be doubt he did. Playing this season and staying healthy would’ve guaranteed a top 5-10 pick. As it stands, I think he’ll drop into the 20-25 range.

I think Rousseau is a first rounder but he's not going at the top of the draft. If you pick a DE in the top 10, he's got to be ready to come in and start right away and Rousseau is way too raw. The technical aspect of his game is just not there. He's got long arms and a quick first step but doesn't know how to use his hands. He's got one year of film and half his sacks came with him lined up at 0 technique. He's not just going to blow past NFL centers like he did in college. He'd likely never even line up there in the NFL. Him opting out this year is a catch 22. On one hand, you're not getting a chance to show that you've improved the technical aspect of your game. On the other hand, you don't risk a sophomore slump type season and finish with 5 sacks and people pin you as a one year wonder. He's certainly physically capable of being a pro bowl type player but college is where you should be learning to play. The NFL isn't a developmental league.

Advertisement
where do our guys go? My guess is as follows:

Rousseau: crazy length and motor, scheme flexibility = Early R1

Bolden: positional value drops him but has elite traits and is putting out great film = Late R1

Jordan: minor injury issues but competent blocker and moves like a receiver = Late R1

Roche: more to be desired physically, but advanced technique and skill = Early R2

Phillips: shows the raw traits and athleticism but questions revolving durability = Late R2

Harris: master of none but extremely well-rounded back = Mid R3

Blades Jr: good size and coverage skills, ball skills and physicality are inconsistent: Mid R4

Jarrid Williams: solidified right side of o-line, positional flexibility = Early R5

King: based on assumption of being a QB, lack of size and inconsistent deep ball: Late R5

Borregales: consistency, accuracy, power = Mid R7

McCloud: size, experience, good attitude = Late R7/Priority UDFA

I disagree on Bolden/Phillips. If the draft is held in the NORMAL time-slot, maybe. But both of those guys have played, what, three games in three years? If the draft was held today, teams don't have enough medical history/game tape to take those guys that high.

I don’t think there should be doubt he did. Playing this season and staying healthy would’ve guaranteed a top 5-10 pick. As it stands, I think he’ll drop into the 20-25 range.
I have no clue if he'll drop or not. Too many variables and only one team needs to value his incredible potential. But, what I do know is a fair amount of his production came from the inside (not edge) and from games/twists. I think he's still a candidate for the Top 10, but if I'm a GM betting my job on it, I'd sure like to see if his game fully evolved to bend around that edge. You'll get a good, productive player regardless. Ideally, you hit homeruns in the Top 5 and Top 10. He could have (and I believe would have) eliminated that risk.

I would also say that if he works out for 10 months straight, he may also be one of those "combine warriors" who impress coaches with their weight/strength numbers.

I'm not disagreeing with you on "lack of tape", but I think he can compensate with good measurables.

Advertisement
I would also say that if he works out for 10 months straight, he may also be one of those "combine warriors" who impress coaches with their weight/strength numbers.

I'm not disagreeing with you on "lack of tape", but I think he can compensate with good measurables.
He might. Haven't predicted he would or wouldn't. This will likely be one of the weirdest years ever when it comes to evaluating players. Not even judging his decision. I don't know his personal feelings or how he felt about his health security. My comments in the thread are merely around the fact he left some significant questions unanswered. And, hopefully, teams overlook those questions, because I'm rooting for him.

He might. Haven't predicted he would or wouldn't. This will likely be one of the weirdest years ever when it comes to evaluating players. Not even judging his decision. I don't know his personal feelings or how he felt about his health security. My comments in the thread are merely around the fact he left some significant questions unanswered. And, hopefully, teams overlook those questions, because I'm rooting for him.

Completely agree. There were a couple of articles recently about how the Bears fell in love with Trubisky. Not saying that taking Greg high would be a bust, just pointing out that you only need one team to want you, and then you get drafted. For all-time, Trubisky is the #2 overall pick, but I wonder where he would have gone if the Bears weren't all fired up to take him at all costs.

Advertisement
Teams also have a recency bias’

Who is to say that other kids around college football don’t perform on a top 5 level this season?

Then we got shortened seasons across the board.

Can you reasonably evaluate the B1G and PAC 12 players after 7 games when everyone else plays 11?

It wouldn’t shock me if those two conferences have the least amount of draft picks out of all the conferences.

Advertisement
Yeah, people are acting like 32 teams will collude to NOT draft the most talented players in the first round, just to "pay them back" for opting out.

That's not what I'm saying at all. Rousseau only has ONE year of film. And that's by his choice. If I was an NFL GM, I would legitimately ask if that kid even LIKES football... or if it's just a meal ticket. You gotta be hungry to succeed in the NFL.

Anyway, him opting out makes him a risk imo. We'll see where he goes, but I'm not counting on him being drafted in the 1st.

Bolden: positional value drops him but has elite traits and is putting out great film = Late R1

Jordan: minor injury issues but competent blocker and moves like a receiver = Late R1

Roche: more to be desired physically, but advanced technique and skill = Early R2

Phillips: shows the raw traits and athleticism but questions revolving durability = Late R2

Blades Jr: good size and coverage skills, ball skills and physicality are inconsistent: Mid R4

Jarrid Williams: solidified right side of o-line, positional flexibility = Early R5

King: based on assumption of being a QB, lack of size and inconsistent deep ball: Late R5

GR15: round 1
Bolden: round 2-3
Jordan: round 2-3
Roche: round 2
Phillips: round 1
Harris: round 4
Blades: round 4
Williams: round 4
King: round 3 ( could sneak into 2nd)
Borregales: round 7
McCloud: round 7/ UDFA

I only really disagree with Roche. Don't see why he is a day 2 pick right now through 3 games. He looks more like a 4-6 round type guy

I see a lot of you guys put Roche in the second round. Does anyone have a reason why? He would not have transferred here if he had that kind of stock before this season and i dont see him looking much different than expected.

Advertisement
Back