If only we had Lane

He is a good coach but last year finished 8-5 on a 4 game losing streak and 3 of those to a not great Arkansas, Texas tech and Miss St.
Yes he’s a “ good coach “. That’s all some are saying but Mario loses to much worse teams all the time. A good way to judge a coach is against the spread.Who gets their guys up as an underdog and who comes prepared to play as a favorite.

Advertisement
He’s always going to be hamstrung by the fact he’s at Ole Miss. I don’t get it, but for some reason he seems happy and content there. He’s just never going to be able to compete with Bama, Georgia, LSU, etc. in recruiting. The energy is just different in Oxford…9-10 wins a year and he’ll be treated like a God there. I think he’ll definitely be a candidate for the Bama job when it eventually opens up.

Geography? It's not geography. The "south" is different from the lowest geographic point in the US. But you know that. You're just deflecting.

Oh, sweetie, it's not Florida. The problem is SOUTH FLORIDA. You know, our recruiting base? Georgia has two guys from south Florida.

But we've been through this.
The problem is South florida and not Florida ok i got you.

The kids in Jacksonville and Apopka are 100 percent different than those in West Palm Beach...got ya.

Georgia has 16 guys from FLORIDA...the state is our recruiting base ..go ead

And this yr with a true freshman qb completing 33% of his passes on the road, we had the chance for a game tying/winning drive. Lol
Yep....Ask yourself why a true freshman qb was starting in the first place.

Now u .... @calinative umstudent i argued with for YEARSSSSSSS..b4 Mario was the HC and when he became the hc literally up to this point EVERYTHING i told you i was right on lol

Mans got some soul searching to turn it around though...this is his dream job and hes a cane. Got to get out of his own way at this point

UGA is just at a different level when Bowers and McConkey both play. They've struggled without one or the other but when both play they look unbeatable.

Advertisement

The kids in Jacksonville and Apopka are 100 percent different than those in West Palm Beach...got ya.

Look at the roster. Our recruiting base is Miami-Dade and Broward. The internet is free.

40 players from Dade and Broward. Yes, south Florida is the problem. No other program in the country gets nearly half of its players from the same area.

Georgia has two kids from south Florida.

If we had Lane he would loose to UGA & AL, Ole Miss is the Penn State of the SEC. Irrelevant. Lane is perhaps the most overrated college coach there is.
Good analogy.

However, bad interpretation. PSU is certainly not irrelevant. It plays in lots of big games and is always in the mix.

If Ole Miss is the PSU of the SEC, we are the Minnesota of the ACC.

Advertisement
I think everyone agreed that Lane would be as good of a short-term option as anyone.

The concerns were: (1) the recruiting effort; and (2) the rumors of substance abuse. On topic one, credible reporters like Feldman have written about how lazy Lane is on the trail. That lack of effort is dangerous in a competitive recruiting environment like South Florida.

The success on the field would help recruiting, but only so much. Ole Miss is right next to South Carolina, Arkansas and Kentucky in the national rankings despite a much better on-field product.

Lane gets them to this level with scheme and coaching. It’s just when there’s a big disadvantage in talent is when Ole Miss hits their ceiling. So he might lose to the big dogs but he does take care of business against most of the other programs. I dont care want anybody says but he’s improved a lot as a coach. He got too much too fast early in his younger days but he’s a very good coach now.
Texas AM job should be his. He would be smart to take it.

I think everyone agreed that Lane would be as good of a short-term option as anyone.

The concerns were: (1) the recruiting effort; and (2) the rumors of substance abuse. On topic one, credible reporters like Feldman have written about how lazy Lane is on the trail. That lack of effort is dangerous in a competitive recruiting environment like South Florida.

The success on the field would help recruiting, but only so much. Ole Miss is right next to South Carolina, Arkansas and Kentucky in the national rankings despite a much better on-field product.
However, the NIL budget would be much better spent because Lane actually has an eye for talent that wins you the least expected games we should win with our means and access to talent. Meanwhile, Cristobal is out there blowing our athletic department budget burning through coordinators and TVD is earning second string NFL QB money from NIL throwing more picks than completions.

Advertisement
The bolded are reasons your a poor decision maker.

Lane Kiffin was EXACTLY the answer coming off of Manny Diaz with the offensive talent that was available on the roster.

He wouldve won more games than we currently have which ultimately wouldve led to better recruiting...and if he was leaving...It meant we were winning.....

Which we could then pivot to Mario Cristobal who's biggest gig would obviously have been the oregon gig and he would forever be available to come home.

But miami gonna miami.

We are stuck in quick sand for atleast 3 more years and will have another alumni coach that no 1 will eventually like sans Randy Shannon

This is the problem with the Lane cultists, same as the Mike Leach cultists that preceded them. Lane Kiffin is what he is, and all it is a more exciting version of Mario, just without any of the upside. Lane's teams have historically been terrible defensively, he also doesn't recruit nearly as well as other coaches. Never mind the fact that his personality wouldn't fly in a hostile media environment, as we saw at USC. You can't be an arrogant nepotism baby, have a ceiling of 8-5 to possibly 10-2, and not have the Miami media and fanbase come after you. People get enamored with flash, forgetting that championship programs are rarely built on that. You can't have your HC spending time on Tinder, trying to bang coeds, when dudes like Kirby Smart and Nick Saban are putting in 15 hour days, and their analysts haven't seen their families in weeks.

Would I have taken Lane before Mario? Yes, in fact I was one of the people on this board that said that short term, Lane was the better pick, but long term, Mario would likely be a better choice, because his ability to recruit and build a program means that even if he was terrible on gameday(WHICH HE IS), odds are you would have the talent to succeed despite that. College football is a talent acquisition game, more so than the pros. Keep in mind, Miami has multiple case studies of coaches that weren't great on gameday winning CHAMPIONSHIPS here, mostly because of their ability to get talent in, or in the case of Larry Coker, not get in the way of developed talent. Miami went with the higher ceiling guy, and embraced a full rebuild of the program, compared to the quick fix, but long term problems persist solution. I'm not going to lie, what I saw in person yesterday was a Miami program that has improved mightily from last year, but there's work to be done.

Honestly, I believe that had Mario been DECISIVE and gone with Emory two weeks ago, he would have been able to pull this thing off. Emory is raw, but the tools between the ears are there, and the team responded to him. Fix those mechanics, and as the game slows down for him, he'll put it together. He isn't a Day 1 draft pick, but he can be a **** good collegiate QB and that's all this team needs. I wanted this team to be in the fight late, and they did that. We'd all be fine with the loss, had Mario not botched the GT and NCSU games, and Miami took care of business. 8-2 with a close road loss to a likely CFP team doesn't bother anyone as much as 6-4 with multiple dumbass coaching errors.

Irony is the same people getting on Mario for his deficiencies would be crucifying Lane for lack of D and toughness in the trenches, in addition to poor recruiting.

Advertisement

40 players from Dade and Broward. Yes, south Florida is the problem. No other program in the country gets nearly half of its players from the same area.

Georgia has two kids from south Florida.
Like i told your dumb *** b4....there is literally only maybe 2 other places that can actually field players from the area and thats ...USC, US, and maybe Univ of Houston?.

South Florida, Southern Cal, and Houston are the 3 hotbeds for high school football talent. What percentage would u like that would make us better..should we cut that 40 number in half to maybe 20 players from south florida?. or would 10 work for you to feel we are getting over the hump and recruiting more qbs from connecticut?.

Georgia has 16 state of florida players and consistently spends alot of funds recruiting south florida and the state of florida. They dont have to but they do...they aint spending the funds recruiting miss or alabama.

The crazy part is ...the current coach recruits national as much as ANY coach we have had.

the constant south florida player talk is hilarious from a fan from the university of MIAMI go be a fan of the Utah Utes or something because you dying on t his cliff all alone...Years ago it may be something but we have a current head coach that has recruited nationally so at this point i dont know what you want?.

He’s always going to be hamstrung by the fact he’s at Ole Miss. I don’t get it, but for some reason he seems happy and content there. He’s just never going to be able to compete with Bama, Georgia, LSU, etc. in recruiting. The energy is just different in Oxford…9-10 wins a year and he’ll be treated like a God there. I think he’ll definitely be a candidate for the Bama job when it eventually opens up.
Why do you think he’s happy and content in Oxford, Mississippi? If he were so happy, he wouldn’t have allegedly lobbied for the Miami job that eventually went to Mario.

He lamented last night that it’s nearly impossible to compete with Georgia when Ole Miss has signed one 5-star while Georgia has signed 24.

Last edited:

We are also pretty close to Arkansas, South Carolina and Kentucky in the recruiting rankings per average recruit.

Allegedly Lane is a lazy recruiter…so why is Mario, who eats breathes and sleeps recruiting, getting the same results?

Advertisement
Back