If only we had Lane

This is the problem with the Lane cultists, same as the Mike Leach cultists that preceded them. Lane Kiffin is what he is, and all it is a more exciting version of Mario, just without any of the upside. Lane's teams have historically been terrible defensively, he also doesn't recruit nearly as well as other coaches. Never mind the fact that his personality wouldn't fly in a hostile media environment, as we saw at USC. You can't be an arrogant nepotism baby, have a ceiling of 8-5 to possibly 10-2, and not have the Miami media and fanbase come after you. People get enamored with flash, forgetting that championship programs are rarely built on that. You can't have your HC spending time on Tinder, trying to bang coeds, when dudes like Kirby Smart and Nick Saban are putting in 15 hour days, and their analysts haven't seen their families in weeks.

Would I have taken Lane before Mario? Yes, in fact I was one of the people on this board that said that short term, Lane was the better pick, but long term, Mario would likely be a better choice, because his ability to recruit and build a program means that even if he was terrible on gameday(WHICH HE IS), odds are you would have the talent to succeed despite that. College football is a talent acquisition game, more so than the pros. Keep in mind, Miami has multiple case studies of coaches that weren't great on gameday winning CHAMPIONSHIPS here, mostly because of their ability to get talent in, or in the case of Larry Coker, not get in the way of developed talent. Miami went with the higher ceiling guy, and embraced a full rebuild of the program, compared to the quick fix, but long term problems persist solution. I'm not going to lie, what I saw in person yesterday was a Miami program that has improved mightily from last year, but there's work to be done.

Honestly, I believe that had Mario been DECISIVE and gone with Emory two weeks ago, he would have been able to pull this thing off. Emory is raw, but the tools between the ears are there, and the team responded to him. Fix those mechanics, and as the game slows down for him, he'll put it together. He isn't a Day 1 draft pick, but he can be a **** good collegiate QB and that's all this team needs. I wanted this team to be in the fight late, and they did that. We'd all be fine with the loss, had Mario not botched the GT and NCSU games, and Miami took care of business. 8-2 with a close road loss to a likely CFP team doesn't bother anyone as much as 6-4 with multiple dumbass coaching errors.
- On the bolded..what do you think is Mario's ceiling?.
- What good is talent acquisition if you CANT acquire the talent at the most important position?. One guy is a qb guru and the other doesnt have a clue at that spot
- On the second bolded...they didnt go with the higher ceiling guy...they just went with the MIAMI guy. They haven't had a coaching search in 2 decades.

As bad as TVD been i think if we went with him to start we had a better shot if they even ran the same game plan with Tvd that they did

They do fight though so i agree with that.

It was so close to exceeding my expectations this year...but mannnnn. I only had us for 7 wins this year...because i forsaw at minimum the starting qb being hurt and us having no qbs on the roster that can throw the ball 20 yds behind him.

The whole short term- long term build thing also is a cp out ...BECAUSE had they chose another coach ..MARIO would ALWAYS be available because this is his dream job and he wasnt getting a biger gig than Oregon

Advertisement
The way people be puffin they chest out with Lane you would think he lost to Georgia Tech not UGA.. then you realize he actually played GT this year and smacked them 48-23. If Kiffin can beat UL monroe and miss st. he will have his second 10 win regular season which hasnt been done for ole miss. He has raised their ceiling, doing more than ever done at Ole miss. No one expects him to beat Uga lol

When Mario gets smacked people be coppin pleas, every excuse in book but Im supposed to believe ya give Kiffin fair shake if he dont beat UGA?! lmaooo

- On the bolded..what do you think is Mario's ceiling?.
- What good is talent acquisition if you CANT acquire the talent at the most important position?. One guy is a qb guru and the other doesnt have a clue at that spot
- On the second bolded...they didnt go with the higher ceiling guy...they just went with the MIAMI guy. They haven't had a coaching search in 2 decades.

As bad as TVD been i think if we went with him to start we had a better shot if they even ran the same game plan with Tvd that they did

They do fight though so i agree with that.

It was so close to exceeding my expectations this year...but mannnnn. I only had us for 7 wins this year...because i forsaw at minimum the starting qb being hurt and us having no qbs on the roster that can throw the ball 20 yds behind him.

The whole short term- long term build thing also is a cp out ...BECAUSE had they chose another coach ..MARIO would ALWAYS be available because this is his dream job and he wasnt getting a biger gig than Oregon

Mario's ceiling is higher because of one thing: THE ABILITY TO RECRUIT. We live in a world where Ed Orgeron, Larry Coker, Jimbo Fisher and countless other mediocre coaches have rings, mostly because they either inherited loaded rosters, or recruited their way to one. Some guys didn't even need to recruit an entirely loaded roster, they just hit on a couple of key areas and rode them to a title(Looking at you Jimbo). Let's be honest, there are few Nick Sabans out there, there are plenty more Dabo Swinneys, guys who are average to slightly above average but get things rolling in recruiting, to the point where their flaws can be covered by organization and talent. That's what Mario can be, provided he continues to get the financial support he needs. He hits on the coordinators and is able to retain them(Looking at you Guidry), that will cover for his inability to scheme. Offensively, if he just stays out of the way, or hires someone that he respects enough to not interfere, he can concentrate on his forte which is talent acquisition.

There are few examples of a Lane Kiffin type winning anything of note. Think about it, Lincoln Riley is arguably the best playcaller in CFB over the last 20 years, hasn't broken through. Guys like Mike Leach and others were far too weird to even get past the interview stage at serious schools. The one example people can point to is Steve Spurrier(A HOF quality college coach), and when you look at the teams Steve had at Florida, for him to only win one title in that run was a bit odd.

Mario's ceiling is higher because of one thing: THE ABILITY TO RECRUIT. We live in a world where Ed Orgeron, Larry Coker, Jimbo Fisher and countless other mediocre coaches have rings, mostly because they either inherited loaded rosters, or recruited their way to one. Some guys didn't even need to recruit an entirely loaded roster, they just hit on a couple of key areas and rode them to a title(Looking at you Jimbo). Let's be honest, there are few Nick Sabans out there, there are plenty more Dabo Swinneys, guys who are average to slightly above average but get things rolling in recruiting, to the point where their flaws can be covered by organization and talent. That's what Mario can be, provided he continues to get the financial support he needs. He hits on the coordinators and is able to retain them(Looking at you Guidry), that will cover for his inability to scheme. Offensively, if he just stays out of the way, or hires someone that he respects enough to not interfere, he can concentrate on his forte which is talent acquisition.

There are few examples of a Lane Kiffin type winning anything of note. Think about it, Lincoln Riley is arguably the best playcaller in CFB over the last 20 years, hasn't broken through. Guys like Mike Leach and others were far too weird to even get past the interview stage at serious schools. The one example people can point to is Steve Spurrier(A HOF quality college coach), and when you look at the teams Steve had at Florida, for him to only win one title in that run was a bit odd.

We are currently ranked 12 in recruiting ...Ole Miss is 20th.

If he needs to do all that we couldve just hired Mario as a recruiting coordinator.

Go repeat what you typed in reality and let it really sink in.

-Mans need money
-Mans need to hit n staff (failure in year 1 right off the bat)
-Mans needs to NOT coach offensively and stay out the way

Now dont cry yourself to sleep when you realized you described a recruiting coordinator. I mean Coach Field could do what you described.

Advertisement
We are currently ranked 12 in recruiting ...Ole Miss is 20th.

If he needs to do all that we couldve just hired Mario as a recruiting coordinator.

Go repeat what you typed in reality and let it really sink in.

-Mans need money
-Mans need to hit n staff (failure in year 1 right off the bat)
-Mans needs to NOT coach offensively and stay out the way

Now dont cry yourself to sleep when you realized you described a recruiting coordinator. I mean Coach Field could do what you described.
Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

What?! You think Mario would've left his position as a HC at Oregon to be a recruiting coordinator under Lane here?

Y'all boys special round here.

Advertisement
So the theory of the board is coaching doesn’t matter, but we need a QB and a program builder…

but you hate Lane even though he’s built up Ole Miss from a situation worse than Oregon or Miami were when Mario got there and he accumulates good QBs…

and the argument is the board jocks mediocre coaches as a defense by those who jock …. a mediocre coach…

Fascinating

Advertisement
Back