If ND to ACC...

I know Wake is the smallest(?) Power 5 school, but they aren't getting kicked out without a lengthy legal fight.

If there were to be a 16th team, it would probably be a school currently in the AAC. Cincinnati, Temple, Memphis, or Tulane would probably be the leading candidates. Out of those 4, I would think Temple or Tulane would have the ultimate edge, Temple being in a big market where the ACC doesn't have roots and Tulane in prime SEC territory with top tier academics.

I don't see us plucking any current Power 5 teams, mostly because of GOR contracts. West Virginia could be an option but I can easily see the ACC turning them down because of academics.

I could also see UConn being a candidate as they got shafted the most out of all the schools by the past realignment when neither the ACC nor the new Big East would take them. But now they are in the new Big East with football being independent, so I'm curious to see if that arrangement lasts.

UConn got KICKED OUT of the AAC. And let's not forget UConn's role in suing the BE schools who joined the ACC. No way in ****.

The reality is simple. Any decision to add another team (beyond ND) has to improve the future of the ACC, which means you ideally want a large public school in a large state that will generate lots of future fans for the ACC and lots of future eyeballs for television. And close enough to your geographical footprint for things to make sense from a competitive standpoint.

If you only take ONE team, there are only two that make any realistic sense whatsoever. Cincinnati and Temple. Cincy is the larger school with the better football team, and football is the biggest driver on TV contracts. Cincy is the #35 media market. Temple is the smaller school with the lesser football team, but is in the #4 media market.

Everyone else falls by the wayside. New Orleans is the #50 media market and Memphis is the #51 media market. Both Tulane and Memphis are significantly farther southwest than any other ACC school. Houston is in the #7 media market, but they will kill to join the Big 12. The largest media market in West Virginia is #70, and don't even try to tell me how popular WVU is in the Pittsburgh area.

Cincy makes the most amount of sense on every measure but media market, that's where Temple (Philly) has its only edge.

Every other school listed is a non-starter for ACC slot #16 (assuming ND is #15).

Advertisement
If what won't happen happens...

Would like to see Maryland return. Don't understand from a competitive standpoint moving to a conference where local recruits' families have to travel longer distances to see them. Ditto Nebraska moving back to Big XII so they can recruit TX.

I used to like geographical conferences because you would compare regions with each other. If not Maryland, Penn State would be a nice add.

No to UCF...Don't need yet another school eating into recruits and I am a season ticket holder.

This "fear of UCF" stuff is nonsense. Florida is the third biggest state in the US. There are plenty of recruits in-state, to the point that we would never need to be afraid of UCF.

If ND gives us a permanent no, and the ACC was interested in taking 2 new schools, UCF and USF are the best pair. The #11 and #18 media markets. HUGE student bodies. Tons of future ACC fans in the backyard of the best HS football hotbed in America (the whole state of Florida). Outside of Gaytor fans, you'd convert the entire state into being interested in watching ACC games every week. The ACC Network would be Tier 1 on every cable network in Florida.

I realize there are some who do not want to "help" UCF and USF, and there are others who think that F$U and UM are "enough" to deliver the State of Florida media markets to the ACC. But good lord, the Gaytors and the SEC are more popular than the ACC/F$U/UM everywhere in Florida besides Dade and Broward (and, yes, there are a ****-ton of SEC/Gaytors fans in West Palm). If we added UCF and USF, the ACC would dominate Florida the way that the Pac 12 dominates California and the Big 12 dominates Texas.

And any Miami fan scurred of UCF and USF needs to just find another team to root for.

Once again, you post a complete load of bullsh!te.

Notre Dame AND the ACC will both want a major market for the 16th member. ND can continue to schedule Navy as an "OOC game".

There is no way in **** that the ACC is booting Wake for Army/Navy.

Lol; right! Ppl forget the ACC is also a basketball power. Lol. They are not booting out WF for f’ing Navy! Lol.

I would like ND & either Maryland (love to recruit the DMV area) or UCF (love recruiting the Central & North Florida area). I believe that would make most sense

Advertisement
This "fear of UCF" stuff is nonsense. Florida is the third biggest state in the US. There are plenty of recruits in-state, to the point that we would never need to be afraid of UCF.

If ND gives us a permanent no, and the ACC was interested in taking 2 new schools, UCF and USF are the best pair. The #11 and #18 media markets. HUGE student bodies. Tons of future ACC fans in the backyard of the best HS football hotbed in America (the whole state of Florida). Outside of Gaytor fans, you'd convert the entire state into being interested in watching ACC games every week. The ACC Network would be Tier 1 on every cable network in Florida.

I realize there are some who do not want to "help" UCF and USF, and there are others who think that F$U and UM are "enough" to deliver the State of Florida media markets to the ACC. But good lord, the Gaytors and the SEC are more popular than the ACC/F$U/UM everywhere in Florida besides Dade and Broward (and, yes, there are a ****-ton of SEC/Gaytors fans in West Palm). If we added UCF and USF, the ACC would dominate Florida the way that the Pac 12 dominates California and the Big 12 dominates Texas.

And any Miami fan scurred of UCF and USF needs to just find another team to root for.
Scared? Nowhere in my post did it say that what I did say is I didn't want another in-state school to compete against for recruits. Smart business really nothing else to it and why water down the talent? Last CA team to win a natty? Last TX team other than Texas to win a natty?

We have a difference in opinion. Doesn't make either of us right or wrong. However, your tone leads me to believe my wife is on this board and also the fact you believe you are just so correct. Is that you honey?

Scared? Nowhere in my post did it say that what I did say is I didn't want another in-state school to compete against for recruits. Smart business really nothing else to it and why water down the talent? Last CA team to win a natty? Last TX team other than Texas to win a natty?

We have a difference in opinion. Doesn't make either of us right or wrong. However, your tone leads me to believe my wife is on this board and also the fact you believe you are just so correct. Is that you honey?

I am not saying that YOU PERSONALLY are scared, I'm saying that this has been a common refrain among some Miami fans.

Last CA team is USC, more recently than Miami.

The reason that UCLA and Stanford and Cal haven't won national championships is NOT "competing for recruits with one another". The reason that Texas A&M and Baylor and TCU and Texas Tech haven't won national championships is NOT "competing for recruits with one another".

What Miami and F$U and UF have accomplished is unique and amazing, in that we have all won national championships recently. The Florida Big 3 is not going to be diminished by the growth of UCF and USF. If anything happens to the Florida Big 3, it will be F$U blowing off both of its feet.

Look, your own words give you away. Sure, you can say that you don't mind competing with UCF and USF, but then you immediately comment on "watering down the talent". Florida is filled with talent. If you believe that the Florida Big 3 will out-recruit UCF and USF, there is no "watering down" effect. The Florida Big 3 still get the best talent, and UCF and USF still finish behind us. We ALREADY have to compete with those schools for talent anyhow. UCF has been ranked in the Top 25 more frequently than Miami has over the past five years. Putting UCF in the ACC won't impact that upward or downward, it will just be the same challenge that we already face.

Sorry to hear that you have such a problem with your wife. Maybe you should get some marriage counseling.

Once again, you post a complete load of bullsh!te.

Notre Dame AND the ACC will both want a major market for the 16th member. ND can continue to schedule Navy as an "OOC game".

There is no way in **** that the ACC is booting Wake for Army/Navy.

What team is available that's going to capture a "major market?"

This is all more than likely prattle but I'd have no problem adding Navy alone if Notre Dame joins. I'd certainly prefer it to the USF/UCF talk or Cincinnati. WVU will never happen due to academics/image and Pedo State won't the leave the Big and Slow Ten. At least with Navy you get the prestige and luster of a service academy and the occasional Cinderella story.

Just from the ACC's point of view, I could see West Virginia adding some value (not a lot), but Cincinnati/USF/UCF would be a waste of everyone's time. I totally agree. Those teams just don't move the needle.

Advertisement
I know Wake is the smallest(?) Power 5 school, but they aren't getting kicked out without a lengthy legal fight.

If there were to be a 16th team, it would probably be a school currently in the AAC. Cincinnati, Temple, Memphis, or Tulane would probably be the leading candidates. Out of those 4, I would think Temple or Tulane would have the ultimate edge, Temple being in a big market where the ACC doesn't have roots and Tulane in prime SEC territory with top tier academics.

I don't see us plucking any current Power 5 teams, mostly because of GOR contracts. West Virginia could be an option but I can easily see the ACC turning them down because of academics.

I could also see UConn being a candidate as they got shafted the most out of all the schools by the past realignment when neither the ACC nor the new Big East would take them. But now they are in the new Big East with football being independent, so I'm curious to see if that arrangement lasts.

I agree that we probably couldn't just boot Wake.... just saying I'd like to see it happen because they're basically a G5 team that's been grandfathered in to the ACC. They don't really belong.

I totally disagree on adding any of those G5 teams you mention. Cincinnati/Temple/Tulane/etc might be located in big cities, but they just don't have the built-in following. People in Ohio are mostly rooting for Ohio State, in Pennsylvania it's Penn State, and in Louisiana it's LSU, and so forth.

Get one of those teams, and I'd say you're adding a market. Otherwise, no.

If I were at ESPN and the ACC approached me saying they "owned" the Texas market because they had the University of Houston, I'd laugh and discount that. I think most would think the same way. It's not to be an *******, it's just that people aren't tuning in to watch those teams, so what value do they really bring?

Lol; right! Ppl forget the ACC is also a basketball power. Lol. They are not booting out WF for f’ing Navy! Lol.

I would like ND & either Maryland (love to recruit the DMV area) or UCF (love recruiting the Central & North Florida area). I believe that would make most sense

I didn't even consider basketball, so if Wake is decent there then I guess that's a valid point. Just not my sport.... I don't follow it at all, so it doesn't even factor in to my thinking.

Good point.

What team is available that's going to capture a "major market?"

Available? You think the only teams that would accept an ACC bid must currently be unaffiliated with a conference?

You think we have to consider BYU and Liberty and UMass? For the record, Navy IS currently in a conference.

Cincy and Temple are in major media markets. Either of those schools would accept an invitation from the ACC.

Also; think Maryland should swap out the B1G for Cincy, and bring Maryland back home to the ACC. Jmo

Advertisement
While I agree with the sentiment, the dollars and the contractual arrangements are prohibitive.

Oh, I know....the alignments are fairly new in the grand scheme of things, but I’m just referring to the logical sense. Cincy is now playing great football; based on vicinity, it would make sense they become apart of the B1G. Maryland, both geographically & historically makes no sense to be in the B1G.

Oh, I know....the alignments are fairly new in the grand scheme of things, but I’m just referring to the logical sense. Cincy is now playing great football; based on vicinity, it would make sense they become apart of the B1G. Maryland, both geographically & historically makes no sense to be in the B1G.

The Big 10 Network had that weird contractual arrangement, where they got EXTRA money for going into new states, thus they absolutely did not want to add a new school in an existing market state (Ohio).

Sadly, these conferences don't care about the logic of the geography, just the TV markets and going somewhere "new".

Advertisement
Available? You think the only teams that would accept an ACC bid must currently be unaffiliated with a conference?

You think we have to consider BYU and Liberty and UMass? For the record, Navy IS currently in a conference.

Cincy and Temple are in major media markets. Either of those schools would accept an invitation from the ACC.

By "available" I mean any school who would likely accept an invitation. So yeah, I'd consider Cincy and Temple to be available.

I just mean who could we get.

Cincy and Temple might be physically located in big cities, but if you look at the TV ratings for their games, it's very low. If I'm an exec at ESPN and you come to me and say you have Philadelphia because Temple is in your conference, I'm going to push back and say you don't. Very few people in Pennsylvania pay attention to Temple, and their low TV ratings support that point of view.

Notre Dame adds value because people are going to tune in to watch Notre Dame vs Miami, or Clemson, or FSU. But if you're asking for a bigger contract because you can now offer Temple vs Anybody, I'd say you're crazy. Adding a team like Temple just dilutes your product because now all your teams have to play them, and nobody is going to watch that.

That's how I see it.

Advertisement
Back