If Mario decides to keep... [the turnover chain... that's what this thread is about guys]

Advertisement
the chain, how should it be utilized?

If even or in the lead be used for any turnovers or a late turnover that sets us up to win even though not in the lead. If a sack or 4th down stop saves a win, use the chain. Winning field goal, chain. Winning TD, chain. No chain while losing especially loss is inevitable. I like the excitement created by the chain and I am sure there could be other reasons. I hope we keep it but with new ideas. Forget the rings! Thoughts?
Lame

Am i the only one who doesn't care what he does with it? Bunch of interviews of people asking him about it lol like bro he's tryna change the culture of the program why are we worrying about a chain

Advertisement
I was randomly thinking about this the other night. Oregon had a knock off chain a few years ago, was that Taggert or Cristobal?

If he doesn’t keep the chain Susan Miller D will not have anything to ask incoming players about. **** if I had a nickel for every time she wasted a **** question asking players about the **** turnover chain I could probably match Texas A&M’s “NIL” money they pay for recruits.

From this article: https://theathletic.com/3224197/202...-early-impressions-of-mario-cristobals-miami/

What’s one thing the staff talked about that they want to do differently than what was done before?

Coach 3:
“You should write a funny article or an investigative piece on what happened with the Turnover Chain. Those guys wanted to get rid of that **** fast (laughter). But seriously, they just talked about recruiting. They’re not going to be afraid to go after the top dogs everywhere. They’re The U and they can’t forget who they are, and they’re going to act like it. They’re going to go after guys all over the country.”

Advertisement
It had its place, but it needs to go into hibernation for some time. I'd like to see it brought back at a strategic moment, such as a national championship game. And if you do bring it back, make it the biggest, most outlandish chain possible - something that's 80 lbs or more.

The turnover chain was Manny's gift to Miami.

It was intended to become part of Miami's football legacy.

Promoting what? Self aggrandizement?

Soooooooo IMO🤔

Let's flush that baby down the toilet. It brought NO Championships or titles. Not even any semblance of cohesiveness , enhanced team play or effort.

My only memory of it was of distracted players vying for some additional "me" air time on the sidelines.

Instead of focusing on their team's ongoing field efforts

Last edited:
Advertisement

Soooooooo IMO🤔

Let's flush that baby down the toilet. It brought NO Championships or titles. Not even any semblance of cohesiveness , enhanced team play or effort.

My only memory of it was of distracted players vying for some additional "me" air time on the sidelines.

2017 says hold my beer

The problem is when you’re sucking and losing by 20 and you bring out the chain.

It jumped the shark with the stupid rings after every TD

#trumpycanethoughts

I Like using the chains but in a modified way. Perhaps award a chain post game if a player, offense or defense, earns it. He gets to wear it until the next game and then gets the honor of passing it on........................better than a "game ball" to me.

Advertisement

Soooooooo IMO🤔

I get your point, but heck wasn’t that Miami’s entire motive in the Jimmy Johnson days. Or even the Erickson days. Wild celebrations for every play, and a number of them were individually focused (Randall Hill in the tunnel). The NCAA invented rules to curb them. In my view, the Turnover Chain was merely a modern twist to what was considered unacceptable in 1989 and 1990 by old school purists.

But, like Butch Davis did in 1995-1999 you have to rebuild the foundation of the program. Establish a winning culture and maturity. Then ease back and allow the celebrations (or TO chain successor) when the on field results reflect what you have built. That’s exactly what Butch did in 2000, as mentioned in the book Cane Mutiny.

I'm so **** tired of the chain I hope they use it as a punishment for when a player screws up. Get a targeting penalty? You get to wear the ugliest version of the chain all week.

Sick of the gimmicks and clown show the last coach brought in.

Advertisement
Back