If I Don’t Have It—You Don’t Want It!!

Earnest T. Bass

Sophomore
History has a way of repeating itself…

At one point fans wanted to fire Don Shula, Jimmy Johnson, Tom Landry, Bill Belichick, Butch Davis and the list goes on and on and on.

For Butch the extremely self-assured and knowledgeable fans flew banner planes pointing out what an absolutely hideous coach he was just before he recruited, coached up and put on the field what would become what many consider to be the best college football team to have ever played the game.

At the midway point of last season many of us expert fans started pointing out all of the inadequacies and flaws Mark Richt was weighed down with, by pointing out his countless mistakes, along with wanting to relieve him of his duties as the offensive coordinator and if possible his job as head coach. That was right before he lead the Canes to 4 straight victories, won the first bowl game since the Wright Brothers came up with the idea to create a device specifically designed to allow us to fly banners demanding that someone be fired and went on to recruit what is currently considered the #1 class for next year.

In all my years of being a fan and watching football I’ve never not called the right play, dropped a pass, fumbled the ball, wasn’t especially brilliant in every aspect of the game including coaching nor have I ever lost a game. As of this writing my University of Miami coaching record stands at 327 wins with no ties or loses and I am the odds on favorite to win my next 11,ooo games. Yet, amazingly I have not been inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame…very strange indeed!

I think it is important to remember that on an almost daily basis numerous University of Miami fans have called for the firing of everybody from the president of the school, board of trustees, the athletic director, every single coach in every single sport, a sundry list of blog proprietors and sports writers down to the water boy, cheerleaders, the tuba player in the marching band, coke and hot dog vendors, Ibis the mascot and anyone who may in the future be employed by the “U”. ****, there was a mother pushing a baby along in a stroller at Green Tree during one of the practices and I could swear I heard the chant…Fire the baby!!

Now for the craziest idea you’ve ever heard…next year I am going to remind myself that the coaches and players are human, that I watch the sport for enjoyment, I’m not putting in 60 to 80 hours a week studying the game and being fed inside information on every aspect of the football program to assist me in making life or death decisions. In other words, it has dawned on me that I might not know—what I don’t know.

Go Canes!

Advertisement
Jimmy Johnson's first year, 8-5. The Flutie pass. Blowing the lead against Maryland. It was bad enough then, but I couldn't imagine how bad that would be for a coach now.

Your post count makes me nervous, but I agree with all that. Obviously the administration let randy and al soldier on too long, but the truth is that it takes years. Yes I know about Harbaugh's first year, but look at his second. It's not always a smooth ride. Whether Richt will take us all the way I don't know, but there are signs that he's headed in the right direction.

Advertisement
Jury is still out on richt, personally I don't think this man just suddenly forgot how to run an offense like so many want to believe

I wanna see how he does without bard kayak and with an actual offensive line before I make that judgement

Excellent post. People insisting that certain coaches/people get fired is a part of having a job in the public eye. It is why you need a thick skin to take such a job and do it successfully.

With that being said, I feel like we take it to an unnecessary and ridiculous level at times. Such as a nice chunk of people calling for Mark Richt to get fired mid-way through this season, an absolutely absurd position to take that nonetheless a fair amount of people on this board inexplicably decided to advocate.

Jury is still out on richt, personally I don't think this man just suddenly forgot how to run an offense like so many want to believe

I wanna see how he does without bard kayak and with an actual offensive line before I make that judgement

Even with the loss of Kaaya, Njoku, Coley he will have better talent to work with. Scary part is that Walton, Richards, Berrios, Herndon are the only guys with experience.

Jimmy Johnson's first year, 8-5. The Flutie pass. Blowing the lead against Maryland. It was bad enough then, but I couldn't imagine how bad that would be for a coach now.

This is an interesting case occurring in a time before Internet and message boards.

I can imagine a pretty steady drumbeat of fire Jimmy Johnson after his first year had that happened today. Every other thread would be fire him, or fly the banner. Think about it, new unproven coach, one year after national championship and with five losses, some of them horrific losses.

Advertisement
I never once called for the ousting of Ferne Labati. The woman was a genius and a saint.

There are no absolutes.

Fans can be wrong or they can be right. Or something in between.

The best managed sports organizations (pro or amateur) have a vision and understand what they are doing and how to succeed, but don't get distracted by fan noise.

Advertisement
There are no absolutes.

Fans can be wrong or they can be right. Or something in between.

The best managed sports organizations (pro or amateur) have a vision and understand what they are doing and how to succeed, but don't get distracted by fan noise.

Good lord man, this is the internet...we can't have balance!

Advertisement
Following the theme from my original post…

Based on the recent comments I’ve read it appears that we fans are in the process of firing Jim Morris, although that seems pedestrian and unfulfilling. Now, if we were to waterboard the man…AND THEN FIRE HIM…after that we would have something to boast about on all of the Canes blogs. I can “almost” guarantee you we would be the first fan base to waterboard an outgoing coach. High five!!

Any chance we can fire Diego Flaquer who is a Canes assistant track and field coach? Granted that firing isn’t **** and I have not one clue as to who he is or what he does or if he’s qualified or unqualified, but that shouldn’t matter because it will fill in the idle time as we search out or next prey (this should not require waterboarding, but let’s not rule it out).

Thinking out of the box; how about we crank-up the banner planes and fire Jim Larrañaga should he lose to Michigan State? As you know we only play for championships and if Larrañaga doesn’t cut down the nets after the upcoming NCAA Basketball Championship Game he should be fired immediately and made to take a Greyhound back to Coral Gables where he will find his personal belongings scattered all over the campus (I think that adds a nice touch).

It is my opinion our firing of UM people should not be restricted to only those associated with our Athletic teams and the administration. Let’s come together and branch out by going after, for instance, med students and their instructors. Just think about the satisfaction we would enjoy if we were to fire everyone affiliated with the philosophy department (definitely waterboard potential)? Buzzing various buildings on the campus with our banner planes may be problematic, but once our mission is explained I am overly confident the FAA and others will support us.

Importantly: we fans should be protected from being buzzed, harassed or fired by some loons who don’t know what they are talking about!

Go Canes!

We should also form a termination team who works day and night to pinpoint our next victim(s).

source.gif

Advertisement
Back