If I Don’t Have It—You Don’t Want It!!

Advertisement
I can imagine a pretty steady drumbeat of fire Jimmy Johnson after his first year had that happened today. Think about it, new unproven coach, one year after national championship and with five losses, some of them horrific losses.

LOL...JJ had more HCing experience than Coker.

Yeah Coker ended up crashin' the Lambo, but He didn't total that ***** backin' out the driveway like JJ did in 84'.

Can't think of a HC that underachieved more with acquired talent than JJ His 1st 3 years.

100% agree with you... Just don't think WE (Boston fans) ever wanted belichick out lol..

Any support the coach at all costs fans should remember how stupid they sounded during the golden years.

Advertisement
100% agree with you... Just don't think WE (Boston fans) ever wanted belichick out lol..

Boston fans were calling him Belichump in the beginning. I think it was the cover of the Globe or Herald.If Bledsoe doesn't get hurt Belichek would have been run out of town. I lived in the North End in those days. He wasn't the deity he is now.

Go Canes!

Advertisement
Jimmy Johnson's first year, 8-5. The Flutie pass. Blowing the lead against Maryland. It was bad enough then, but I couldn't imagine how bad that would be for a coach now.

This is an interesting case occurring in a time before Internet and message boards.

I can imagine a pretty steady drumbeat of fire Jimmy Johnson after his first year had that happened today. Every other thread would be fire him, or fly the banner. Think about it, new unproven coach, one year after national championship and with five losses, some of them horrific losses.

People wanted him fired before he even took the field. I remember it clearly. Jimmy WHO? We don't want that style of football here!!! Then after the season we had... Man, it would have been complete meltdown city.

I can imagine a pretty steady drumbeat of fire Jimmy Johnson after his first year had that happened today. Think about it, new unproven coach, one year after national championship and with five losses, some of them horrific losses.

LOL...JJ had more HCing experience than Coker.

Yeah Coker ended up crashin' the Lambo, but He didn't total that ***** backin' out the driveway like JJ did in 84'.

Can't think of a HC that underachieved more with acquired talent than JJ His 1st 3 years.

I guess it depends on perspective like anything else. First off jimmy Johnson was handicapped his first year cause he couldn't run the defense he wanted to run. That was one of the biggest issues on that years team especially down the stretch where they gave up an avg of about 40 points per game. Miami lost each game despite the offense avg 40 per contest.

Next, Miami opened on 8/27 vs Bo Jackson and auburn...4 or 5 days later they played one of the most talented Florida teams in that's schools history. They won both before traveling to #13 Michigan or whatever they were at the time 6 days later. Miami lost to Michigan 22-14 largely due to 8 turnovers. They faced 3 ranked teams in 12 days.

What first year coach dealt worth those two issues?

I wouldn't say he underachieved in 1984. he had to deal with some BS from some dumb *** people.

1985 JJ employs his defense Miami goes 10-1 reg season with chance to win national title. 1986 plays for title again, chokes again.

If anything you start to question his ability to coach in championship games but then he won it all in 87 and should have in 88.

There's a reason why fans are just fans, and coaches coach, regardless of asinine, know-it-all banner huggers. Like a broken clock, they are only going to be right twice a day.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Boston fans were calling him Belichump in the beginning. I think it was the cover of the Globe or Herald.If Bledsoe doesn't get hurt Belichek would have been run out of town. I lived in the North End in those days. He wasn't the deity he is now.

Go Canes!

Well.. heres the thing. Growing up a pats fan I was a diehard Bledsoe fan so when he decided to start Brady we were all in our feelings to begin with but after he won 1 2 3 super bowls it makes you forget about Bledsoe. Just because the newspaper puts something out doesn't speak to the fans point of view necessarily. Of course he is pretty much a God in New England.

History has a way of repeating itself…

At one point fans wanted to fire Don Shula, Jimmy Johnson, Tom Landry, Bill Belichick, Butch Davis and the list goes on and on and on.

For Butch the extremely self-assured and knowledgeable fans flew banner planes pointing out what an absolutely hideous coach he was just before he recruited, coached up and put on the field what would become what many consider to be the best college football team to have ever played the game.

At the midway point of last season many of us expert fans started pointing out all of the inadequacies and flaws Mark Richt was weighed down with, by pointing out his countless mistakes, along with wanting to relieve him of his duties as the offensive coordinator and if possible his job as head coach. That was right before he lead the Canes to 4 straight victories, won the first bowl game since the Wright Brothers came up with the idea to create a device specifically designed to allow us to fly banners demanding that someone be fired and went on to recruit what is currently considered the #1 class for next year.

In all my years of being a fan and watching football I’ve never not called the right play, dropped a pass, fumbled the ball, wasn’t especially brilliant in every aspect of the game including coaching nor have I ever lost a game. As of this writing my University of Miami coaching record stands at 327 wins with no ties or loses and I am the odds on favorite to win my next 11,ooo games. Yet, amazingly I have not been inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame…very strange indeed!

I think it is important to remember that on an almost daily basis numerous University of Miami fans have called for the firing of everybody from the president of the school, board of trustees, the athletic director, every single coach in every single sport, a sundry list of blog proprietors and sports writers down to the water boy, cheerleaders, the tuba player in the marching band, coke and hot dog vendors, Ibis the mascot and anyone who may in the future be employed by the “U”. ****, there was a mother pushing a baby along in a stroller at Green Tree during one of the practices and I could swear I heard the chant…Fire the baby!!

Now for the craziest idea you’ve ever heard…next year I am going to remind myself that the coaches and players are human, that I watch the sport for enjoyment, I’m not putting in 60 to 80 hours a week studying the game and being fed inside information on every aspect of the football program to assist me in making life or death decisions. In other words, it has dawned on me that I might not know—what I don’t know.

Go Canes!

Great post!

And it reminds me, that the ALL-TIME FREAKING IDIOT award for worst hiring/firing decision in the history of sports, goes to the University of Kentucky.

They earned the award the day the AD, (or whatever ****** was pulling the strings), decided to fire an entire coaching staff that included:

Blanton Collier, Bill Arnsparger, Howard Schnellenberger, and ..... Don Shula.

If there was any more momentously stupid decision in the history of sports, please let me know.

Advertisement

Go Canes!

Well.. heres the thing. Growing up a pats fan I was a diehard Bledsoe fan so when he decided to start Brady we were all in our feelings to begin with but after he won 1 2 3 super bowls it makes you forget about Bledsoe. Just because the newspaper puts something out doesn't speak to the fans point of view necessarily. Of course he is pretty much a God in New England.

Your post kinda contradicts itself. What the newspaper put out did in fact speak to the feelings of the fanbase, because when Brady was chosen, before all of the following success, you say fans were in their feelings. Sounds like the newspaper was exactly in tune with the fanbase, but then Brady made everyone forget that.

Go Canes!

Cheers to you for having much higher standards that I do. One NC would pretty much make me forget all about gorlden.

Go Canes!

Cheers to you for having much higher standards that I do. One NC would pretty much make me forget all about gorlden.

Lmaoooo

Advertisement
Back