If eligibility chart is correct

The problem isnt 75 players the problem is a good percentage of the upperclassmen are JAGS forcing us to de directly dependent on 1st and 2nd year players in the two deep. Not idea at all. I mean seriously how much dead weight do we have on the offensive line?

Why isnt it ideal?? We wont have a lot of attriton to have to replace bc most of our best players are underclassmen starting or in the two deep. The upperclassmen that are playing are either elite at their position or above average at worse.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Im trying to care but It's not happening

I'm with you on this. It is what it is. We just need to deal with it and trust that this staff is doing whatever they need to do in order to compete for National Championships every year. We as fans are quick to forget what it was like to wake up each day with Golden at the helm or with the under acheiving of Randy Shannon teams. Whenever I want to complain about something with this team and staff I just think of the Clemson game and wanting to turn off the game halfway into the first quarter and almost stroking out everytime they showed Golden on the sidelines. Then I think of last year and this staff and I just smilke and nod because the Hurricanes are coming.

we are heading into the season with 75 scholly players. So much for being off probation.

And? There are so many posters on here who keep telling us that EVERY SINGLE PLAYER who leaves the team is somehow addition by subtraction.

Regardless of injuries. And the need to have enough players for practice. And the possibility that some of these guys may have been underperforming due to injuries.

Nope, certain people on this board have convinced me that we can cut another 15 guys who are dead weight, and I think they might have a point...

It's pretty maddening when several of the departures would've been 2nd teamers.

Yearby, Haskins, Odogwu, Linder, Jenkins, Willis in particular.

Look, I'm not trying to bash fellow Canes, but there is so much failure on this board to properly analyze what is happening.

It's not just the issue of who is first-team and second-team RIGHT NOW.

First, this isn't the NFL, we can't just sign replacements right now. More importantly, those SPOTS on the scholarship roster were already accounted for. The ONLY thing we can do is give more scholarships to walk-ons (which are renewable annually, so they won't really hurt us with any future signing classes), and even if these guys quit the team in January, it ALSO wouldn't impair our numbers for future signing classes.

Second, nobody thinks about special teams (how many offensive and defensive STARTERS also play STs?) and the need to have enough bodies to get through practices all season. Even Gus could conceivably play a valuable role in helping the defense prepare if he is the stand-in for a particular type of running back that we are preparing to face. It doesn't matter who is first-team and second-team to the TEAM efforts (and yes, I know it hurts the kids' egos, or their perception of future opportunities). Alabama manages to keep 85 scholarship players, and there are plenty of 4-star kids there who aren't on the 2-deep at any given moment.

Third, people are ignoring injuries. The very FACT that guys like Linder have "underperformed" for more than one year recently has been due to ongoing injury issues AND the fact that we don't have a 2nd-teamer or 3rd-teamer ready to step in without significant drop-off. Kaaya has alluded to this in the last year or two, that MANY of the OLs were playing with injuries. So, instead, because we have a bunch of tuff-guy porsters who like to react as if every guy who leaves the team is a quitter, we keep going through our SAME CYCLE of not having enough scholarship players, followed by injuries, followed by playing guys with injuries, followed by guys underperforming, followed by criticism, followed by recruiting "better guys" from high school, followed by...well, you get the picture. The longer we go with 70-75 guys on scholarship (NOT counting walk-ons), the longer this cycle goes on.

Look, I'm not claiming that Linder was going to come in when a guy is injured and totally transform the team. But let's say you have five solid starters, and a couple of guys get hurt. The starters, with a few patches in between, are capable of playing CLOSE TO the level they were once at. But if you are forced to play a guy who IS NOT READY and/or is hurt, then you will see some ABYSMAL mistakes. People are making the mistake of acting as if Linder can't possibly cut it at Miami, but that just isn't true. His older brother is doing well in the NFL. Let this kid get healthy and get his head together, and even if he isn't the starter, he is the experienced depth that we need to get through a grueling season.

Yes, some of the guys who have left are better than others. But nobody is claiming the less-talented ones are cancer. Why does anyone care if a kid carries a scholarship for another semester when we DON'T HAVE ANY OPTIONS and we also are not impacted in our 2018 signing numbers or beyond? We aren't going to sign 30 guys anyhow, there are more NCAA rules than just the 85 scholarship limit.

Now, if all of those kids had left in either January 2017 or January 2018, it would be a different conversation.

But guys leaving the team in August...that's not helpful to the team preparing for the current season. Giving a scholarship to a walk-on, while heartwarming, does not improve the situation.

Well said.

There's definitely a lot of optimistic homerish tough talk this time of year.

When asked for his secret to success Dabo Swinney recently answered that recruiting players and keeping them at Clemson is key.

Hopefully this staff realizes that this cycle of incoming and outgoing players isn't sustainable.

Last edited:
Advertisement
75 with malik mayweather and that long snapper jordan butler.

so really, 73

72 if ford doesnt make it in

Last edited:
Call me crazy, but I'm not a huge fan of our starting All-ACC running back or corner back playing gunner on special teams. That's not how championship teams are built. Y'all act like we don't have to have practice squad players, special team players, and 3rd and 4th string guys for mop up duty. This is CFB, not the NFL. The first time we put a 2nd team guy on the field against Bethune Cookman or whoever for mop up duty and he gets hit with an injury it's going to be awful because we don't have anyone after them! There are 44 players on the two deep and 2 kicker spots to factor in. That's 46 players that will play a lot of snaps. So only 18 guys to spare. We need 22 to field a full defensive and offensive practice squad not composed of walk ons or second team guys. See how this **** adds up? I don't want to have to put Choc Gray as the scout RB when he might have to get carries in a game on any given week. Just me though.

The problem isnt 75 players the problem is a good percentage of the upperclassmen are JAGS forcing us to de directly dependent on 1st and 2nd year players in the two deep. Not idea at all. I mean seriously how much dead weight do we have on the offensive line?

every single senior be starting this year, except for Moten who will still be extremely important.

the junior class has a few JAGs like jahair jones, dayall harris, langham, mike smith, and mcCray.

i think those classes are basically purged at this point. to your point, those classes WERE filled with far too many jags

So Mike Smith is a jag now! Lies

Advertisement
How do NFL teams make it with 53 players? only having 21 more players than an NFL team isn't a big deal, it's all about perspective..

If we need to utilize players 60-85, or 74, in a significant way, I am very concerned.

Well, a pro roster is 53 players and they pretty much use everyone. So you're saying 60 would be concerning at the collegiate level where we can't just sign people off of a practice squad or free agency? Interesting.

Technically it's 63 as they run with a 10 man practice squad too.

If we need to utilize players 60-85, or 74, in a significant way, I am very concerned.

Regardless of how people feel about 75 players on ship . . . the coaches care. And yeah if we have to play our 3/4 string qbs we are in bad shape. But remember NOT ONLY are there injuries and special teams, BUT we are looking at 10 kids that will NOT be developing at Miami. Whether they would have redshirted or played they arent on campus. It hurts.

Advertisement
we are heading into the season with 75 scholly players. So much for being off probation.

And? There are so many posters on here who keep telling us that EVERY SINGLE PLAYER who leaves the team is somehow addition by subtraction.

Regardless of injuries. And the need to have enough players for practice. And the possibility that some of these guys may have been underperforming due to injuries.

Nope, certain people on this board have convinced me that we can cut another 15 guys who are dead weight, and I think they might have a point...

They are wrong.

Could see the following players leave before the end of the semester:

Rosier - looking like 3rd string at best

Gray - should go play at FIU if he can't beat Atkins for 3rd string RB

Langham - 0 catches through 3 seasons, why bother making it 4?

Milo - still a 3rd teamer, should maybe go play at BYU or Cal

Fines - if he gets surpassed by Ford then he gone

McCray - should transfer to FIU

thoughts?

how many total scholarships are teams like FSU, ND, va-tech, UNC, pitt playing with this year? anyone know?

73 just seems crazy low to me.

Advertisement

every single senior be starting this year, except for Moten who will still be extremely important.

the junior class has a few JAGs like jahair jones, dayall harris, langham, mike smith, and mcCray.

i think those classes are basically purged at this point. to your point, those classes WERE filled with far too many jags

Mike Smith does not belong in the same group with Jahair Jones, Langham, or McCray. Also expect Harris to be a solid role player for us. Not everyone can be an all-star, but glue guys like Smith and Harris are valuable.

How do NFL teams make it with 53 players? only having 21 more players than an NFL team isn't a big deal, it's all about perspective..

1. If an NFL player goes on injured reserve (Tannehill) you can sign another player to replace him. You can't do that in college.
2. College players are 18-22 years old, they have not been in professional strength and training programs for 10 years, they have not had top-notch doctors attending to them for 10 years. Kids get injured, that's what happens.
3. There are only 32 NFL teams, there are over twice as many Power 5 plus programs. NFL teams with 63 players on call (including practice squad) could all play any of those players at a moment's notice. In college, there is a significant drop-off for almost any team (maybe not Alabama) if you had to put players 63-85 into a game, as most of those guys are probably redshirts in any given year.

If you think "next man up" means we will be able to continue playing with no quality drop, I have news for you.

Seriously, you need your "perspective" adjusted...

Advertisement
Back