I'd like to propose a new rule for this board

Here is the problem...

Every single year, there are tons of players that end up proving their worth around the country. Miami-Dade/Broward/Palm Beach is so deep and talented every year, calling anyone a "debatable take" is a bit foolish...just because he's a 3* or 2* recruit? Have we not learned that SoFla is PACKED with talent every year...sometimes you just need to dig a little bit.

Do I understand looking for tight ends elsewhere around the country? Yes. Do I understand looking for OL talent elsewhere around the country? Yes. SoFla doesn't usually produce high end talent at this positions...but there are tons of SoFla players that end up being very good around the country and just because they don't get love from the sites...doesn't mean our staff shouldn't find'em.

I listed a team over 5 years in a zon3cane thread and the list of SoFla players was staggering...do you know how many players on the list would have been "debatable takes" at the time? At-least half.

Interesting. I agree. Of our 14 commits, 6 are OL/TE. That leaves 8 other commits. Two of those are from S. Florida. If we close how we all want to close (Grace, Thomas, Collins, Coley, Bryant, Bostwick & Kirkland), then this whole argument is a non-issue, right?

Advertisement
What about this Maquedes (sp?) Bain kid who goes to school in Ft. Lauderdale Nova or something? I was looking at the ESPN 150 list and he's there. What was the story with him? Also, Joey Bosa, though that seems like a kid we have 0.00% chance for.

The key to this "2" stat really is how we close. The big local targets are still out there -- Grace, Coley, Collins, Thomas, and Kirkland. If we close with all 5, then we cleaned up in SoFla. If we get half of them, we did pretty good, but we didn't seal off the SoFla border. These next couple days will be telling.

Agree with this other than Bain, feel like we lost interest in him during the year.

Folks *****ing about this - right now - don't deserve access to this board.

Jackson is a corner. Trade him for Burns? I wouldn't.

Cunningham or Wilson will matter if we miss on Coley. If we land him, it's wasted breath.

Ditto Bosa and Bain for Bryant and Bostwisck.

Fundamentally, it's a retarded point until after NSD.

You're missing the point. I think the discussion in thread is "are we ignoring So Fla kids?" This is not about who is better. Clearly, we've pined over Rashard Robinson. If we don't get him, we don't get him. It's not for lack of trying. But are there kids out there who we just haven't looked at, who we should have (or haven't tried hard enough)?

DT Monty Nelson, committed to NC State.

If AG was taking 25+ kids this cycle Id def have my chicken little costume on crying about it.

Here are some guys that didn't get a ton of love...

Matthew Dayes, RB, Cypress Bay HS
Lorenzo Woodley, RB, Columbus HS
Daryl Chestnut, RB, Columbus HS
Fred Coppet, RB, St. Thomas
Eddie Jackson, ATH, Boyd Anderson
Jordan Cunningham, WR, University
Lamar Robbins, WR, Southridge
Jesus Wilson, WR, Columbus
Alex Montgomery, WR, Cypress Bay
Roderick Johnson, OL, American Heritage
Quay Bain, OL/DL, University
Joey Bosa, DL, St. Thomas
Alvonte Bell, DL, Everglades
Paul James, DE, Norland
Stacy Thomas, DE, Gulliver
Skai Moore, LB, University
Wendell Dunn, LB, Palmetto
Nick Internicola, LB, University
Debo Williams, LB, Hialeah
Michael Deeb, LB, American Heritage
Ahmad Thomas, DB, Central
Simeon Thomas, DB, Carol City
Will Likely, DB, Glades Central
Sojourn Shelton, DB, Plantation

Some former area standouts that went on to play JUCO ball...

Demetrius Campbell
Abens Cajuste
Desmond Hollin
Hosy Williams

PLUS, tons more that I didn't list and a few of them will go on and play at a lower/lesser school that will develop into NFL players.

Happens every year. Lets not act like we've offered everyone worthy...that just doesn't happen. And, some of those kids will end up good players, some will end up never heard from again.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Cunningham or Wilson will matter if we miss on Coley. If we land him, it's wasted breath.

You're missing the point. I think the discussion in thread is "are we ignoring So Fla kids?" This is not about who is better. Clearly, we've pined over Rashard Robinson. If we don't get him, we don't get him. It's not for lack of trying. But are there kids out there who we just haven't looked at, who we should have (or haven't tried hard enough)?

I doubt this staff is not working hard enough. That's all I really care about.

And, as previously mentioned, go look at prior classes. Wasn't last year's class mostly State of Miami kids?

If you're not interested in the discussion, please feel free not to participate. I don't find it untimely or 'retarded.'

If you're not interested in the discussion, please feel free not to participate. I don't find it untimely or 'retarded.'

The discussion is fine. *****ing about it like a ragged-out ***** with no perspective is my complaint. Outside of this thread, no one I've seen make the point has backed it up with alternatives or anything resembling a coherent thought. This thread is great, however.

I realize that conflicts with my last statement in the quoted post. Meh.

Just comes down to evaluations.

The remaining top local targets have offers from the big in-state schools and other big programs, so we're not going on a limb in going after these guys. I guess only time will tell if we missed out on some underrated local kid -- seems like every year that does happen.

Paul James, DE, Norland

Demetrius Campbell
Abens Cajuste
Desmond Hollin
Hosy Williams

PLUS, tons more that I didn't list and a few of them will go on and play at a lower/lesser school that will develop into NFL players.

Happens every year. Lets not act like we've offered everyone worthy...that just doesn't happen. And, some of those kids will end up good players, some will end up never heard from again.

Advertisement
I call it the PokeMon mentality...

gotta-catch-em-all-pokemon.jpeg

Just comes down to evaluations.

The remaining top local targets have offers from the big in-state schools and other big programs, so we're not going on a limb in going after these guys. I guess only time will tell if we missed out on some underrated local kid -- seems like every year that does happen.

Of course it comes down to evaluations...but, I think this is a worthy discussion every single year. Its never not timely, its never not a relevant conversation to have...which is basically what OP is trying to say, that, it is. I disagree strongly.

We have a ton of the top players in SoFla targeted and ready to make a decision on Signing Day. If we hit'em all out of the park...let's just be honest...there won't be too much of a complaint.

But, what happens if Matthew Thomas goes elsewhere and we didn't offer Skai Moore? Skai Moore goes on to play well at USCe? We take a player like Ufomba Kamalu and he never develops and Alvonte Bell turns into a solid DE at Kentucky? The staff doesn't pursue Leroy Clark or Sojourn Shelton and Leroy Clark and Sojourn Shelton ends up a three year contributor at Purdue/Wisconsin.

The Coker and Shannon Errors were filled with similar stories. Obviously Miami isn't going to get everyone, they aren't going to hit on everyone, but, there are tons of players in their back yard that will end up becoming studs, good players, and contributors...the obvious reference is...when we miss out on OOS recruits...why didn't we just stay local?

What about this Maquedes (sp?) Bain kid who goes to school in Ft. Lauderdale Nova or something? I was looking at the ESPN 150 list and he's there. What was the story with him? Also, Joey Bosa, though that seems like a kid we have 0.00% chance for.

The key to this "2" stat really is how we close. The big local targets are still out there -- Grace, Coley, Collins, Thomas, and Kirkland. If we close with all 5, then we cleaned up in SoFla. If we get half of them, we did pretty good, but we didn't seal off the SoFla border. These next couple days will be telling.

We didn't miss on Bain or Bozo. We didn't pursue either. Al, for whatever reason, had no interest in Bozo.

Advertisement
Its never not timely, its never not a relevant conversation to have...which is basically what OP is trying to say, that, it is. I disagree strongly.

The point was that 99% of the doofus contingent who are parroting this are doing so because it sounds shocking and they have an axe to grind. If you're gonna throw it out there, don't do so mindlessly. You're now talking about finer point items like evaluation and under-the-radar guys, which really wasn't in the spirit of my post. The folks rabble rabbling aren't *really* worried about kids going to Purdue, they're trying to vaguely paint this picture of UM missing out on all the local studs and *gasp* we've only got 2. If you're a 1%er who is talking about kids going to Purdue who we should've taken a longer look at and want to discuss why, you're really not the intended audience.

Paul James, DE, Norland

Demetrius Campbell
Abens Cajuste
Desmond Hollin
Hosy Williams

These kids in bold that Larry mentioned are the kids you wonder about and as Map pointed out it comes to to evaluations. The question is should we make these kids a priority over the out of state kids because these kids are from south Florida - hence they are better because they play a higher level of competition. To Larry's point, there are always a lot of kids that were never on the big 3's radar screen who go on to be great players.

I suspect we didn't show any interest in Boza because we learned we had no chance of keeping him here. He's not exactly the type of kid who stays local.

Advertisement
Of course it comes down to evaluations...but, I think this is a worthy discussion every single year. Its never not timely, its never not a relevant conversation to have...which is basically what OP is trying to say, that, it is. I disagree strongly.

We have a ton of the top players in SoFla targeted and ready to make a decision on Signing Day. If we hit'em all out of the park...let's just be honest...there won't be too much of a complaint.

But, what happens if Matthew Thomas goes elsewhere and we didn't offer Skai Moore? Skai Moore goes on to play well at USCe? We take a player like Ufomba Kamalu and he never develops and Alvonte Bell turns into a solid DE at Kentucky? The staff doesn't pursue Leroy Clark or Sojourn Shelton and Leroy Clark and Sojourn Shelton ends up a three year contributor at Purdue/Wisconsin.

The Coker and Shannon Errors were filled with similar stories. Obviously Miami isn't going to get everyone, they aren't going to hit on everyone, but, there are tons of players in their back yard that will end up becoming studs, good players, and contributors...the obvious reference is...when we miss out on OOS recruits...why didn't we just stay local?

The corollary is that you 'just didn't stay local' because the staff missed on the evaluation. Liked the OOS kid more, or didn't know about the instate kid ( the latter of I am not worried about with this staff) But, if your staff is good, they should hit on as many as they miss, if not more. And if the hits come from Tampa, or Pahokee, or Overtown - great. If they come from North Atlanta, Austin, or St. Paul, well, that's okay too.

Also, FWIW, flipping through the roster, it looks like 4 out of every 5 kids currently on schollie is from the Gunshine State. As it should be.

Last edited:
Did anyone see Ahmad Thomas his senior year? He is a guy who intrigued me a lot but I haven't seen or heard anything about him since summer 2012.

It doesn't matter. Even if there were a "rule" like the OP proposed, there will always be someone who dogs out the staff for "whiffing" on one of these kids when they go somewhere else and ball out--regardless of what actually happened with their recruitment.

There's a ton of guys who are destined each and every year to be this next year's Giovanni Bernard. All of the questions and accusations: "why didn't we get him?" "Golden & Staff ignored him even though he was all Cane" "he's a SFL kid that we should have kept home". All of that continues to happen, even though Bernard had next to no Miami interest, wanted to leave FL for college, and only ended up at UNC after Weis was fired from Notre Dame. BUT--don't let the facts get in the way of a few wannabe recruitniks' whining sessions.

There's always kids we see playing somewhere else that we wished were Canes, but I'm more focused on who we actually get, and how they fit into Golden & his staff's plans to get us back to where we all want to be.

The way I see it, here are the kids from the Tri County Area that are inarguably worthy of a ship this year, in no particular order:

M. Thomas - Possible 'Cane and the #1 kid
D. Kirkland - Possible Cane despite all the b.s. Also, might be the lowest ranked of everyone on this list, which is not to say he can't play...project in my eyes
S. Coley- Think he is a 'Cane
M. Alexander- Headcase. Super talented head case, but a head case. Headed out of state.
J. Bosa- Was 'Bama or OSU from the get go.
A. Collins- Probably a 'Cane
J. Cunningham- 'Cane if we want him
J. Carter- 'Cane
A. Burns- 'Cane
J. Grace- 'Cane
R. Robinson- Already talked about in this thread and the poster was dead on balls accurate
E. Jackson- Probably prep/JUCO
K. Bryant- Who the eff knows; possible 'Cane

So there were 13, 8 of which have not announced yet. Of the 5 that have, 2 are major grades issues, and 1 was never staying in Florida. I'd say we have put ourselves in pretty good position heading in to Signing Day in South Florida.

Now, here is the more interesting list...kids who were arguably worthy of an offer at this point:

Bain - LSU
MAck Alexander- Who knows?
Skai Moore- Probably SEC
Daryl Chestnut- Western Michigan
Darius Tice- Cincy
Adrian Baker- ?
Lemar Robbins- Oklahoma or USF
Mike Johnson- Marshall or USF?
McCollum- ?
George Williams- ULaLa
Mike Deeb- Notre Dame
Ahmad Thomas- Oklahoma

Our staff clearly decided that there were better options out of state, and these kids were either not what they wanted or grades issues. The second list might be where this staff sails smoothly or runs ashore.

Advertisement
Back