Iconic U logo being plagiarized

Whitley is no longer at the Sentinel. Not only did I hate that guy's anti-UM stance, he was also one of the worst newspaper writers I have ever read.

Not to mention he is a flaming racist and a clueless idiot.

I. MOTHER-*******. HATE. DAVID WHITLEY.
I as well....

Advertisement
There’s 2 travel teams in SFL that use this very U and the original colors for their travel team. Do you want to go after that 11u team and 13u team as well OP?

Whitley is no longer at the Sentinel. Not only did I hate that guy's anti-UM stance, he was also one of the worst newspaper writers I have ever read.

Not to mention he is a flaming racist and a clueless idiot.

I. MOTHER-*******. HATE. DAVID WHITLEY.
I was friends with the Late Bill Buchalter (Died last yr) for almost 20yrs, he was a Sportswriter at the Sentinel for 40yrs...his Sister was a UM Grad....Loved him....

Last edited:
Advertisement
I agree with most of the different opinions here. I was just shocked at how blatant that organization was trying to replicate the brand that is the U. It’s one thing to use mascots, I just believe in doing things the right way. It’s not about the $$, I just don’t like the Milli Vanilli approach.

Advertisement
University HS in Orlando looks exactly alike....
1648854055162.png

I was friends with the Late Bill Buchalter (Died last yr) for almost 20yrs, he was a Sportswriter at the Sentinel for 40yrs...his Sister was a UM Grad....Loved him....

Yeah, not sure if I've told you "all" of these details, but when I was at Lake Brantley in the mid-80s, I (and some of my friends) wrote for the "Brantley Banner" school newspaper. Our advisor was a part-timer at the Sentinel, he usually wrote columns on running (marathons, triathlons, track meets, etc.). So he brought in Bill once to speak to our class, great guy. In my group of friends, we all idolized Bill.

Anyhow, fast forward a couple of years, and a couple of those friends went on to write for The Independent Alligator at UF. One went into college teaching (English) and the other became a sportswriter for the Sentinel. Initially, they gave him the Gaytor beat (right when Spurrier took over), and later he got the Jags (right after they entered the NFL), plus he covered NASCAR, so he basically got everything outside of Orlando (except for the Bucs). Anyhow, he got the privilege and honor to work with Bill and never had a bad word to say about him.

They don't make sportswriters like Bill Buchalter (or Jerry Greene) anymore. And for the love of God, Bianchi and Whitley couldn't carry Buchalter's jock.

Yeah, not sure if I've told you "all" of these details, but when I was at Lake Brantley in the mid-80s, I (and some of my friends) wrote for the "Brantley Banner" school newspaper. Our advisor was a part-timer at the Sentinel, he usually wrote columns on running (marathons, triathlons, track meets, etc.). So he brought in Bill once to speak to our class, great guy. In my group of friends, we all idolized Bill.

Anyhow, fast forward a couple of years, and a couple of those friends went on to write for The Independent Alligator at UF. One went into college teaching (English) and the other became a sportswriter for the Sentinel. Initially, they gave him the Gaytor beat (right when Spurrier took over), and later he got the Jags (right after they entered the NFL), plus he covered NASCAR, so he basically got everything outside of Orlando (except for the Bucs). Anyhow, he got the privilege and honor to work with Bill and never had a bad word to say about him.

They don't make sportswriters like Bill Buchalter (or Jerry Greene) anymore. And for the love of God, Bianchi and Whitley couldn't carry Buchalter's jock.
I lived on Concord St (basically 1blk from the Sentinel) this is from 01-03 before I bought my home. Loved Bill...was just an outstanding person. He knew my Love of UM immediately. He told me his sister graduated from UM in the late 50s. Guy was chock-full of Great Stories. Miss him something awful.

Kansas State "Wildcat" is used by over a 100 different High schools through out the US. It seemed like Bill Snyder did not care - the new regime seems like they do but it is so widespread.....
Actually, Snyder made it easily available, and KSU used to charge 1 dollar per year for use of their logo for schools. They see it as marketing.

Advertisement
Haha. Universities and pro teams typically never go after youth leagues or even high schools that "borrow" their logos.

You can lose your exclusive proprietary interest in a mark if it is not properly defended. If you don’t proactively stay aware of who is using your mark or a mark substantially similar to yours, your mark may become commonplace in use, fall into the public domain, and you can lose your exclusive right to use it. Failure to police unauthorized use can result in your losing the legal right to enforce the mark against unauthorized users. This is why the U actually does monitor and issue cease and desist letters (and more) against youth organizations and high schools. We can allow them to use it, which is fine, we just have to issue them a license to do so.

How about union high up in New Jersey? Only reason I know is a former coworker/friend of mine played and coached there. The late Brian Sheridan who ended up being the single season leader in tackles in a season at Rutgers.

1648856718110.jpeg

Advertisement
As much as I love the "U". I always thought it was strange to identify with the University part of the name rather than the Miami part of the name.

It's just weird. I mean they are basically all Universities.

I am a heretic, I know.

When it comes to football we are the definitive and preeminent University

Very cool. I used to follow his FL recruiting big time back in the day:

Very cool. I used to follow his FL recruiting big time back in the day:

I used to talk with him about recruiting...of course there was alot to talk about in ref to UM those days...Great, Great person.

Advertisement
Back