I tried telling y'all that Manny is that coach

this is what you call - worst case scenario.

If the only way to keep Banda is to elevate him to DC.....then he needs to be let go. Plain and simple.

It should be clear to everyone at this point how important it is in college football to have top notch coordinators. We still have a major deficiency on one side of the ball and I don't want a guy learning on the job.

Advertisement
Manny's ability to address program needs quickly, effectively, and without bias is unmatched. In his second year as a head coach, El Jefe is showing you why he is the real deal.

I tried telling you last year!

I’ll buy this stock once I see additional moves on defense. I’m wondering if he’s going to pull a Golden Special in regards to the defense. Too emotionally attached to a scheme and certain staff.

If he truly thinks last night’s performance was ok, we have bigger issues.

More so saying it in the “one game at a time” approach. Can’t call Manny the real deal after starting 2-0. Lets get to 3-0. Then 3-1 but keeping it close against Clemson. And win out. Then let’s comment on Manny’s performance.

Either way, let’s see how the rest of the season goes.
I'm right there with you except I have no illusions about even keeping it close against Clemson. Clemson is just on another level right now. I see a lot of promise with this program but it's going to take Diaz finishing the job in terms of analyzing our weaknesses and fixing them. What is left is this defensive staff. Not all but a good amount of them need to be shown the door at the end of the year. When Diaz demonstrates the ability to cut his friends loose then goes out and makes an elite DC hire then and only then will I be truly convinced. In the meantime I give Diaz all the credit he deserves for knowing what had to be done and doing it. The Lashlee hire which led to quality offensive position coach hires, the hiring of Ed Reed as Chief of Staff, and the phenomenal recruiting coming off a 6-7 disaster have all been master strokes. Now it is absolutely imperative that we keep this momentum going and continue to build and improve off of It by winning 10 games this season. This in turn will allow us to finish this 2021 recruiting class strong and continue to stack this rooster with elite talent.

I know he is still young HC but 2nd game in row he did some end half/game mismanagment.. You have to go for 2-points at end of game to make it 21 points even.. If they score again and make it 6 point game for onside kick, smh.. No reason for Brevin to score and we kick extra point to go up 20.. wtfff

If we're comparing last year vs. this year can we start at the qb position? Then move on to kicker? Then the OC? Do we really need to see more next week to come to (imho) the obvious conclusion that this year's edition of UM football is much better than last year?

That was a really good win last night. The improvements vs. last year are glaring.

I never said this years team isn’t better than last years team. In fact i agree with you.

What I said was we’ve had a history of looking good in a few games then falling off. Let’s be patient and see how the season progresses before we crown Manny.

Advertisement
Our fans love bringing up the past to try and keep others from being excited about the present and future.

I’m going to enjoy this 1 and be excited for our potential to build upon it, y’all can keep talking about last year.
We bring up the Past (2003 and before) because of its excellence....not at all talking about 2019...

Manny's ability to address program needs quickly, effectively, and without bias is unmatched. In his second year as a head coach, El Jefe is showing you why he is the real deal.

he‘sunmatched? 1-0 against the p5 this year clearly proves that. If we played UL first last year, you would have said the same thing and would not have been more wrong. U could have also said Williams was going to win the heisman

Last edited:

I wouldn't call him the "real deal" just yet, but he went up in my book when immediately punting on Enos / Barry last year, moving to the spread, bringing on Lashlee / Justice and recruiting King. Those were monster moves for a first-year coach and anyone not throughly impressed by that, or still pointing out the flaws in 6-7—they're off-base.

The biggest thing Manny needs to keep doing is working to change the culture.

All this talk about Baker and the defense—that side of the ball still lacks the horse—and every year Miami is seeing too many not-ready guys going pro.

Trajan Bandy should absolutely be playing at Miami this year. I know there were "financial issues", but those don't get solved as an undrafted free agent and those financial woes will persist. Needed to focus on upping his stock and getting a degree.

Every year, guys bailing early—Jon Garvin, Joe Jackson, RJ McIntosh, Kendrick Norton, et al. It takes a massive toll depth-wise.

Manny and Miami needs to find a way to get back to winning ways in order to entice these guys to return for a shot at conference and national championship—winning while guys are still bailing out.

Clemson saw it with Christian Wilkins, Austin Bryant, Clelin Ferrel, etc.—guys who lost in the Playoffs as a one-seed, returning the next year to win a national title.

I get kids' desire to go pro early, so make it easier on them wanting to stay by getting the program out of these 7-6 type season, consistently winning the Coastal and competing for conference titles.

Manny's biggest trick to pull off—which he knows—is winning with what he currently has, in order to attract the type of Miami players he wants. Luring King to Miami was huge—as was getting Phillips and Bolden, who are the two most physical-looking kids on that defense; two Pac-12 defects that were former 5-Stars.

I heard you and I believed you . But remember many just need to something to ***** about . We actually have people complaining after last night lol

Advertisement

I agree that Manny is a good organizational leader (even his defensive changes - or lack thereof - are fair and justifiable). He'll make the right decisions during the week.

My one issue with Manny is that I feel like he's a great game planning coach, but not great at making in game adjustments. Lashlee has had two great third quarters, which makes it look like in game adjustments are in a good place on offense. Hoping to see the same out of Manny, Baker, and the defense moving forward.

They set the tone in the first half with the defense. The second, good adjustments by UL, we didn't do much differently. That's what happens when you have good coordinators, one will stick with what is working (us, for the most part) and them adjusting to exploit what we're doing.

I'm not saying we're good defensively, but we were doing enough to win easily. Then when they started moving the chains down the field, eating up the clock, that's going to wear down the defense. We follow it up with literally two series in which we answered with a score in one play.

That's great, but that again puts a tired defense out there that's still trying to get their breath back.

Again, I'm by no means saying we've got some great defense or there isn't a lot of work to be done. I'm just looking at the game progression and how it affected the defense.

We could've changed it up, but why bother unless you're looking for cosmetics. FSU is up next, but the real game is Clemson. I'm not saying we'll win, but you'll see more changes and adapting to what's going on with them.
Twice in the 3rd quarter, it was a 7 point game. That's not cosmetics.

As an aside, we're not good enough or consistent enough to be overlooking FSU or anyone else. I don't care how bad they look. Just remember Pittsburgh when we were 10-0 and ranked no. 2.

Advertisement
Slow down OP. He went 6-7 with program changing losses to inferior opponents. He went AWOL and team after each bye-week and let certain inmates run the proverbial asylum last year. This year, he still has Baker leading the D which is a terrible mistake and retained Rumph which is doubly bad.

Go 10-1, play for the ACCCG and then let's revisit Manny's ability to build a winning program.

Advertisement
The defensive coaching staff still requires almost a complete purge. If he does that and stops clearly playing favorites on that side of the ball....then he'll have completely won me over.

Let's see how this season goes and then what he does about Rumph and Baker before we crown him. Like I've said from day 1, I'm rooting for the guy but there are still some tough decisions that MUST be made and some results that MUST be attained.

I have no aspirations of beating Clemson. We don't need to beat Clemson for this season to be a success. However, anything less than a double digit win season and I'm sorry but all this newfound goodwill will evaporate in a second. We need to parlay that mythical 10 win season into a top 5 recruiting class to make up for the recruiting misses this staff has had the last 2 years.

The mythical 10 win season stuff goes with an OOC schedule that we don't have in such a weird year.

So that metric goes in the trash this year because it's just that much more incomparable with the lack of conference play, to be completely honest.

They will have their "awards" metrics after this season that will mean very little as well but the difference is, you supposedly are looking for a direction to go in based on the metric, whether they will be doing awards just because.

I mean,...hold onto "10 wins" as tight as you wish, but it means very little. Certainly hope we get there though because that means better recruiting. But I wanna see our ability to fill gaps (we've already done so on offense and kicking) and improvement (on defense).

The kicker and QB are temporary gap fillers -- not developed players -- but you should be able to recruit off of their success. We've needed something to build off of,...and now it looks like we finally have it.

Let’s pump the breaks. We beat Louisville last year too. And felt the offense was maybe finally figuring things out. We all know what happened after that.

We tend to do this after any decent win. Let’s just beat the p*ss out of FSU and see what happens.
U have a valid point BUT can we at least enjoy the fact that we have a real offense now? I mean this is light years better than anything we’ve seen in recent years.

Banda's not ready to be DC. That would be a huge mistake.

It seems right out of the frugal miami playbook. Banda is either getting a promotion or a big raise if we plan to retain him. I'd much rather keep him than Baker. Not necessarily as DC but i don't think there is some massive XP gap between baker and banda either. It's still Manny's D at the end of the day.

Advertisement
Back