I tried telling y'all that Manny is that coach

Pump the brakes... I do enjoy winning the off-seasons and he gets full credit for the OC purge and hires, but let the season play out. Cautiously optimistic- Lashlee could be the single most important hire since Butch during the probation period. Game changer

Advertisement
They set the tone in the first half with the defense. The second, good adjustments by UL, we didn't do much differently. That's what happens when you have good coordinators, one will stick with what is working (us, for the most part) and them adjusting to exploit what we're doing.

I'm not saying we're good defensively, but we were doing enough to win easily. Then when they started moving the chains down the field, eating up the clock, that's going to wear down the defense. We follow it up with literally two series in which we answered with a score in one play.

That's great, but that again puts a tired defense out there that's still trying to get their breath back.

Again, I'm by no means saying we've got some great defense or there isn't a lot of work to be done. I'm just looking at the game progression and how it affected the defense.

We could've changed it up, but why bother unless you're looking for cosmetics. FSU is up next, but the real game is Clemson. I'm not saying we'll win, but you'll see more changes and adapting to what's going on with them.

Let’s pump the breaks. We beat Louisville last year too. And felt the offense was maybe finally figuring things out. We all know what happened after that.

We tend to do this after any decent win. Let’s just beat the p*ss out of FSU and see what happens.

If we're comparing last year vs. this year can we start at the qb position? Then move on to kicker? Then the OC? Do we really need to see more next week to come to (imho) the obvious conclusion that this year's edition of UM football is much better than last year?

That was a really good win last night. The improvements vs. last year are glaring.

Advertisement
Definitely optimistic no doubt about that. Like many others above, he needs to take more control defensively, and then address some failures on the recruiting/coaching end (again defensively without naming the obvious deficiencies).

They set the tone in the first half with the defense. The second, good adjustments by UL, we didn't do much differently. That's what happens when you have good coordinators, one will stick with what is working (us, for the most part) and them adjusting to exploit what we're doing.

I'm not saying we're good defensively, but we were doing enough to win easily. Then when they started moving the chains down the field, eating up the clock, that's going to wear down the defense. We follow it up with literally two series in which we answered with a score in one play.

That's great, but that again puts a tired defense out there that's still trying to get their breath back.

Again, I'm by no means saying we've got some great defense or there isn't a lot of work to be done. I'm just looking at the game progression and how it affected the defense.

We could've changed it up, but why bother unless you're looking for cosmetics. FSU is up next, but the real game is Clemson. I'm not saying we'll win, but you'll see more changes and adapting to what's going on with them.
The biggest adjustment I can see that Louiseville did was more holding in the second half. Like they really got blatant with it. Grabbing jersey, pads, holding by the arm.... Refs went Ray Charles on us

I am sure he will address the defense. Next week is a big test for Baker. Maybe could always take over the defense for Clemson.
Why is next week a big test for Baker? FSU looks terrible on Offense. Should be a easy task.

Advertisement
Offense looks legit but i still believe he should be calling the defense, Baker just don’t look like he’s got it
Lack of legit CB's is the problem, poor defensive recruiting. I believe this prevents any defensive playcalling from being aggressive. You need legit corners to be very creative on D.

Advertisement
I think the defense gets addressed in the off-season but surely 2-0 this season is better than the 0-2 start last year, no?

yes of course but we have the same issues/concerns on defense as last year with ideas of “manny taking over!” which as we can see, don’t do much unless there’s a change at the DC spot. Manny is incredibly loyal to his defensive staff and if he’s not careful, it can be his undoing down the road.

Our fans love bringing up the past to try and keep others from being excited about the present and future.

I’m going to enjoy this 1 and be excited for our potential to build upon it, y’all can keep talking about last year.
I think everyone's talking about last night.

There's nothing wrong with being excited about the offense yet tempering our optimism because of the defense.

The biggest adjustment I can see that Louiseville did was more holding in the second half. Like they really got blatant with it. Grabbing jersey, pads, holding by the arm.... Refs went Ray Charles on us

They did, but they really went after our gaps in our zone. They did a better job on blitz pickups as well.

I also forgot to credit their back. He's slippery as **** with good vision. He'll be in the NFL for sure. He did a great job waiting and finding holes on the stretch plays. Good burst and enough strength to not be taken down with an arm tackle. Great balance.

Their QB did very good as well with everything. Him and King have a lot of similarities. He was facing more heat so some mental errors were made, but he's solid.

Advertisement
Let’s pump the breaks. We beat Louisville last year too. And felt the offense was maybe finally figuring things out. We all know what happened after that.

We tend to do this after any decent win. Let’s just beat the p*ss out of FSU and see what happens.

The difference is, I think, King and Lashlee will not allow a FIU-type disaster to happen. Not saying this team wins every single game, but I don't think they will melt down like they have in past years. ****, in past years, UAB, a scrappy team that came to play, could have been a FIU-type meltdown.

Advertisement
Back