I think what drives us Canes fans crazy..

WndyCityCane

Recruit
Is that almost every year we are duped into thinking we are ‘back’ and we never meet the expectations made by professionals.

We’ve been picked to win the Coastal so many times from the experts, even this year - by almost everyone - it’s just mind-boggling how even those who make a living out of predicting these things get Miami so wrong so often. It’s like every year we consistently under-perform.

That’s what drives us all insane. We buy into the pre-season hype that even many experts share (not fan boys who wear orange and green glasses) and we are all let down. Has there been a more disappointing team in the last 20 years?

If we were fans of Duke or Virginia, at least we wouldn’t be expecting much. Predicting a .500 season - sometimes it’s better sometimes it’s not. With Miami, when you are picked to win your division year after year and never do so, at some point it’s just insanity to think it will happen. Spending $14,000,000.00 on an elite staff has done nothing except shown that you can build a smoke screen - fooling even the ‘experts’ who thought we were back.

I think that’s the most frustrating thing about Miami. We never meet expectations.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I expect to be well coached.

It's astonishing, really. Two weeks ago a bunch of the porsters on this board were claiming that TVDs record breaking season last year was a mirage and he should be benched for Garcia. Then 5 weeks into the season Cristobal finally decides to tailor the offense to TVDs skill set and the result is he throws for 3 TDs and almost 500 yards. Again, it took 5 weeks to adjust to TVDs abilities. Yet there are still people who think we don't have a coaching problem.

I didn't expect us to win the Coastal at all. I knew our roster was way too weak. I said in the offseason that 6-6 was a likelihood & someone called me crazy lol.

What I didn't expect though was the **** poor coaching in tandem with the lack of talent. When sh*t hits the fan, the only thing Mario can do is scream at the offensive line. Gattis was an absolutely ABYSMAL OC hire & needs to be shipped back to the Big 10.

Advertisement
I think the 2022 Canes are the most well coached Canes team Ive seen in a decade.
1665461825369.gif

Quick response.

* We're not seeing the endless false starts and other foolish penalties that we've seen under past regimes.

* We're not seeing the need to waste timeouts like we saw under previous regimes.

* Im seeing some solid adjustments in the second half of games.

There's a few other things I can point out but its too late. Im going to bed. Someone else who sees it can expand from here. Recruiting is another topic that can be mentioned.

Advertisement
Is that almost every year we are duped into thinking we are ‘back’ and we never meet the expectations made by professionals.

We’ve been picked to win the Coastal so many times from the experts, even this year - by almost everyone - it’s just mind-boggling how even those who make a living out of predicting these things get Miami so wrong so often. It’s like every year we consistently under-perform.

That’s what drives us all insane. We buy into the pre-season hype that even many experts share (not fan boys who wear orange and green glasses) and we are all let down. Has there been a more disappointing team in the last 20 years?

If we were fans of Duke or Virginia, at least we wouldn’t be expecting much. Predicting a .500 season - sometimes it’s better sometimes it’s not. With Miami, when you are picked to win your division year after year and never do so, at some point it’s just insanity to think it will happen. Spending $14,000,000.00 on an elite staff has done nothing except shown that you can build a smoke screen - fooling even the ‘experts’ who thought we were back.

I think that’s the most frustrating thing about Miami. We never meet expectations.

And if I’m being honest, there’s no honest assessment among this fan base. Waaay too much Kool Aid drinking, way too much calling every player elite b4 putting on pads, & way too much living in the past. We’ve been picked to win this division since 2004, & every single yr, u’ve been duped to believe this yr will be different.

My frat brother texted me b4 the season, & asked my thoughts (b4 I made my OP). I told him 8-5 or 9-4 at best. The first thing he says: “Look at the schedule, Rell! Name me 4 or 5 losses?” My response? “I know this team, & since 2004, I couldn’t name u 4-5 losses on paper, but for 17 yrs, I’ve seen 4-5 losses annually, despite talent level.”

Mario is the best coach we have had, but he is old school. While the outsiders have been gassing us, he’s told us repeatedly we’re not there & the roster is not where he wants it to be. Despite that, the thirst to be back, along w/ the love of the fumes of gas that infiltrates this site causes unrealistic expectations.

W/ the lack of portal additions, along w the loss of more than 50% of offensive production + new playbook = struggles for yr 1. Idgaf what the industry “experts say”, b/c most of those mofos don’t know chit anyway, but we collectively have seen the struggles of every first yr coach at this program EXCEPT D.E & L.C, both won w/ ready made rosters, & both **** near killed the program after the program builders’ players left.

No excuse, EVER, to lose to MTSU, but we gotta stop the 15-0 & ACCCG or Bust bull chit every off season UNTIL we get there, & imo, we will.

Last edited:
Mediocrity. That's what rustles my jimmies.

I'm tired of these lame *** dudes coming here, taking up scholly's and thinking they are going to have an NFL career because they played at Miami.
Equally tired of coaching admins sunshine pumping these dudes up over the years when they should have been in their ear telling them you aren't great, but you could be if you just put in the work. Frustrating also seeing coaches stubbornly press on with what obviously doesn't work with the team they coach. It's obvious we have had a deficit in work ethic and accountability for years and throughout. Too many guys who did not deserve to play a down of football here played and too many coaches and assistants who shouldn't have been hired had been hired.

What gets me is seeing the 3-8 2019 NC State team get slammed with injuries and having to put freshmen in and go through adversity. The team got better each and every year after. Their 3 star players improved, they’re competitive in every game, and occasionally beat higher ranked teams. Their players don’t come out flat and look disinterested. We’ve had 2 games that we’ve played inspired football in a decade VT and ND 2017.

Advertisement
I just wish we didn’t get ranked top 25 start of every season. ESPN talking about the U is almost fetish-like, anytime. It sets up expectations beyond reality. Not that it is the only thing.

WeR CaRn StiRll WiRn theR CoaRstal!!!

I know you're joking but at this point I think it's obvious that the goal of this season should be to keep the recruiting class together and hope the players and staff find their footing.

If by seasons end the offense and defense are clearly advanced and stable and Mario can keep a top 10 class then we'll be good going into next year.

Advertisement
Back