I spoke with a current player.

Advertisement
Mario running a disciplined program is what Miami has needed for 20 years. These kids would have **** themselves if Butch, Jimmy or Howard were around them. Winning programs are disciplined, and as the kids start to lead themselves, then the coaches step back. We don't have nearly enough leaders on the roster, so Mario has to be hardcore in regards to discipline and routine. Either adapt or hit the bricks.

Gattis is trash, a large part of coaching is communication, and if you can't do that, you will fail. He is still a bad play caller, with limited feel for the game. Miami can and should upgrade in regards to him.

Advertisement
every bum can win 9 games here. the talent that we recruit allows for that (golden, Manny, Shannon all did that). they were all trash coaches. no one is talking about not being a fan lol. we can criticize a failure in a persons coaching ability and still be fans. Mario failed as a coach. he passed w flying colors as a recruiter. he had a chance to give himself a pass by making quick changes to the staff after what was an abortion of a season. we still have zero staff changes and form everything coming out publicly, it doesn't sound like were getting changes
Not to quibble but when did Manny win 9 games here?

Huge culture upheaval. Needed to be done. I am fine with the discipline. More purge to come.

If Mario is worth a sh*t as a coach, he needs to deliver the message to Gattis and & Co. that communication and knowledge of the offense cannot be an issue going forward. Gattis will get a another year but this past year was the "last year" that lack of talent will be used to blame as the major excuse for inept offensive production. No idea what next year will look like offensively but it needs to look a lot better than this year and collectively this team needs play better and win at least three or four more games.

Best of luck to this player and hope he has a great and healthy 2023 season!

Advertisement
Nothing earth-shaking, but this place is pretty slow now anyways. This player is an upperclassmen and was on Manny's teams too. Mature kid.

In no particular order:
  • He said that the guys that left had to leave. We've heard that a lot. Still hard for me to digest that 1/5 of the roster had to go.
  • He was "surprised" that Darrell Jackson left. He said his loss will hurt.
  • He said that the team would have won more games with Manny this season, but that long term, the team is better off with Mario.
  • I asked him what he thought of Mario. He said Mario is a "good dude" and "focused." And that he knows how he wants to handle things at this stage of his life. It sounds as if Mario is far more structured than Manny. No surprise there. But I did sense a little reservation re: his thoughts on Mario. Personally, I think Mario may want to dial down the drill sergeant routine, at least once he gets his fingerprints on the roster. I think that'll come with time, particularly when Mario's upper-classmen can teach the under-classmen how to do things.
  • He mentioned the injuries as a wild card this year. To my surprise, since I doubt many college-aged kids are familiar with this, he mentioned that this was not S&C but rather "bone" injuries (as he put it). That is a topic I don't want to discuss again but I'm pleased to hear that.
  • He said that there are some "good" rooms and some "bad rooms." I mentioned I thought TE was a good room and he agreed and said Arroyo is a beast.
  • He mentioned that Will has had 4 offensive coordinators in 5 years.
  • That of course led into the topic of our favorite OC.
    • I told him that I didn't think Gattis did a good job of putting pressure on the defense. Little to no tempo. The "check with me" permitted the defense time to take a breather and assess the play. And that the lack of spacing precluded a lot of 1-on-1 opportunities. (I probably should have mentioned the lack of a deep ball too!)
    • He said that that is kind of what he thought early in the season too, but that he spent time in the room and didn't know what else Gattis could have done.
    • He said that he was able to understand what Gattis was conveying but the offense in general wasn't able to. Things were simplified but not understood.
    • He said that day 1 stuff was not understood well into the season. Like foundational stuff.
    • He said we ran a lot of the same stuff we did with Lashlee but with a different terminology but kids couldn't get it. Is this a result of having so much turnover in the offensive staff??
    • He suggested maybe Gattis' failed in regard to communication-although he understood it. Some coaches/individuals have a way of connecting with 18-22 year old kids. It doesn't sound like Gattis was able to connect with the majority of the team.
    • So, apparently, we are not talented on offense and dumb. Luckily, we're no longer broke. Because broke, dumb, and bad would be a bad combination.
That's all I got.
I also just ran into a UM player. He said he met a fan the other day named Alex who “asked me too many questions at the urinal”

You know anything about this @AlexCane ?

He didn't...he meant his highest score on a Slip n Slide was a 9.0.....
watching arrested development GIF

Miami has been butter soft on a hot summers day for about 20 years.

We need to get tougher both physically and maybe more importantly mentally.

This right here. Literally as soft as soft gets. Our teams have looked soft physically and they've played soft.

You want to know why Michigan absolutely pounded Ohio State into the ground the last two years? Because Ohio State has become a soft program under Day and Michigan is as physical and physical gets. Michigan is a mirror image of Georgia but with less talent.

We need to build something that looks exactly like that.

Advertisement
I don't have a problem with the drill sgt routine. That's the best way to get rid of the soft players and quickly establish how you want your culture.

Mario isn't getting paid the big $ to let the players partially run the show. Fck all that.

Today's world needs more drill sgt leadership.

I don't have a problem with the drill sgt routine. That's the best way to get rid of the soft players and quickly establish how you want your culture.

Mario isn't getting paid the big $ to let the players partially run the show. Fck all that.

Today's world needs more drill sgt leadership.
I agree that a tougher approach is needed to address the culture issues that have become the norm with the program. However, the only way that will work and players will buy in is if
they believe in the staff and their ability to develop them/help them achieve their goals. Mario absolutely cannot preach culture/accountability and take a drill sgt approach with the players if he isn’t going to hold his staff to the same standards. Gattis still bring on staff is a significant red flag in that respect.

Advertisement
what is rewarding is not always fun...

what is fun is not always rewarding...

This is what UM football is finding out
What’s fun is winning. That’s how the culture gets better. When kids are working their asses off and losing it’s easy to lose the locker room. “ I’m working as hard as I ever have and not getting results”. But us old ***ers can attest sometimes things don’t magically improve. Once kids see the work and discipline pay off things will change. Luckily for Mario he has job security and has time to tear it down and build it back up the way he wants.

Good stuff @AlexCane

To your point about the drill sergeant routine I think we will see that calm down

Mario felt the same as we all did I’m sure that this program needed an ***** and when the roster evolves he won’t need to be as strict

Not much to add just appreciate the insight

What’s fun is winning. That’s how the culture gets better. When kids are working their asses off and losing it’s easy to lose the locker room. “ I’m working as hard as I ever have and not getting results”. But us old ***ers can attest sometimes things don’t magically improve. Once kids see the work and discipline pay off things will change. Luckily for Mario he has job security and has time to tear it down and build it back up the way he wants.
this. culture is all bull**** if youre losing. no one is buying a losing coach. you get them Ws the culture magically turns around

Advertisement
Back